Hello

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
andyjt

Hello

Post by andyjt »

Thought I should post the obligatory new person post... although I'm not technically new here, I did have an account around 2010 but I cannot for the life of me remember the username or email address I signed up with.

Anyway... hi!

Andy
I do N gauge... just in case I forget to mention in any posts
glencairn

Re: Hello

Post by glencairn »

Welcome back Andy.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Welcome back Andy, if you can remember the subjects of any posts that you made stick them in the serach box and see if it finds owt. If it doesn't there's a link to the "advanced search" I wouldn't recommend using it yourself unless you've had some experience of database languages. Surprisingly there's another way of searching our site, Google Chrome, if you layout had a distinctive or unusual name try searching for it there. I frequently get hits pointing back to my own posts, it's quite a shock the first time you do a search and it comes back with one of your own pictures! Give it a try you've nothing to loose.

John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
andyjt

Post by andyjt »

Thanks guys!

I did try searching for myself but I couldn't remember any details on what I posted :D
Back then I was just planning my first layout which, due to life reasons, never came to fruition... but I'm back and more determined to actually get one done.

John, I also tried the advanced search but still to no avail - I'm sure at some point I'll be reviewing a thread of interest to me and find a post from 2010 that was one of mine, maybe!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Sometimes small and simple helps get things done... But large and elaborate is fantastic!

Regarding your concern about electrics on another thread which I think it was you who posted it? Are we looking at DC or DCC?
First design your track plan, and then look at the electrics. In some ways DCC can be easier, but in other aays DC is more simple... There are books available on the subject and also I believe Flashbang has a site about model railway wiring?

Once you learn the principles, they can pretty much be applied to most situations.

I personally recommend learning DC wiring first before one learns DCC because one can get a better understanding of the basic principles which come in useful with DCC. I say this because sometimes if wiring situations get more complex with DCC, that if I had not learned DC first, I would be puzzled when I tried DCC.

Generally DC wiring is simple if one goes about it in a methodical way. It is why I like a PSL book I have about the subject. Flashbang also wrote a book and I am told it is very good. His website is excellent. I can't remember what it is called, but he really has put a lot of effort and thought into it.

The main advice is to keep things simple and logical. It is actually why I have decided to go back to DC as I want a clear understanding of what is going on when it comes to fault finding, and with DCC, it can on occasions get a little more complicated as one has added an extra dimension to the layout, and this in itself can on rare occasions make one want to pull ones hair out! Haha! DCC is nice though.
andyjt

Post by andyjt »

Hi Mountain, it was me and it'll be for DCC

I think I'll be ok with the wiring for DCC, it was more for a sanity check before I decide on the final layout and wiring then find it doesn't quite work the way I expect it too... at least being DCC I just need to make sure there will be power to all sections of track in the correct polarity and it should be fine :)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

With DCC, the only real complications are when one comes to deal with live frog points and reverse loops or triangles. Dead frog (Insulated frog) points are not so much of an issue as one just puts wires to ensure that all routes remain live. Live frog points need ideally require frog juicers and are therefore a litrle more complex. Not that complex. Just a little. Reverse loops and triangles will need the appropiate reverse loop module.

Apart from that, DCC wiring is simple. It is about ensuring that all track on the layout is live. Not to make things too complicated, larger layouts can have additional boosters where each booster can power an isolated "Zone" on the layout. This can actually help when it comes to fault finding and the boosters can usually be programmed so that if there is a short circuit, only that individual zone shuts off.