Hi guys

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Andy79

Hi guys

Post by Andy79 »

As mentioned in another thread I have been here before but can't remember any of my details, Anyway, I'm Andy and I live in Tredegar - S.Wales.
No layout yet but a garden one is being planned :D
Last edited by Andy79 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigmet

Re: Hi guys

Post by Bigmet »

Andy79 wrote:As mentioned in another threat...
I like your attitude, what exactly are you threatening? The layout to knock all others into a cocked hat? :wink:

What sort of trains in garden? Having done this with OO in the past and had great fun, I might still be doing it, but since a house move to what I thought would be an ideal location, the local wildlife in the woodland over the garden fence promptly attacked the track and made it impractical. I now have an idea to counter this, using control fence gear to 'power' the track when trains aren't running on it. But first I have to finish the indoor layout.
Andy79

Post by Andy79 »

Bigmet wrote:
Andy79 wrote:As mentioned in another threat...
I like your attitude, what exactly are you threatening? The layout to knock all others into a cocked hat? :wink:

What sort of trains in garden? Having done this with OO in the past and had great fun, I might still be doing it, but since a house move to what I thought would be an ideal location, the local wildlife in the woodland over the garden fence promptly attacked the track and made it impractical. I now have an idea to counter this, using control fence gear to 'power' the track when trains aren't running on it. But first I have to finish the indoor layout.
Uh oh, I should have checked I spelt it right, DOH lol

OO, I would love an indoor one but I have no room, our cat seems to keep the rodent population down but we do have the problem of other cats spraying in the garden so I will be trying to keep them out with those anti cat noise things, hopefully keep ours off it as well lol
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is an exciting plan.

Lack of indoor space? There are ways around that. The garden is one of them. The only downside is it is a long term project so needs careful thought, and like there are many ways to construct an indoor railway, an outdoor railway is much te same in that there are many ways to build one. I would consider the sturdier longer lasting ways myself.
I soon learned that what looks like a gentle slope from above ends up being close to a 1 in 4 at track level, so be aware of the importance of checking gradients do not end up being impractically steep. Go for level or near level if possible, and a dry shed or place to keep the control equipment in is a must.
captrees

Post by captrees »

Andy79 wrote:,,,,and I live in Tredegar - S.Wales
My great grandfather was a steam engine fitter from Tredegar. Must be in the blood....
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I'd suggest DCC and left on 24/7, should cure the cat spraying problem.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Andy79 wrote: <SNIP>
.....we do have the problem of other cats spraying in the garden so I will be trying to keep them out with those anti cat noise things, hopefully keep ours off it as well lol
I purchased three anti cat ultra sonic solar recharged devices, as our rear garden was (Still is!) a toilet for all the neighbourhood cats. They just don't work, in fact one cat was seen spraying over one of the devices! The best anti cat device is IMO..... a dog.
Someone suggest to me a some while ago that getting Lion wee or their Droppings (Cant remember which?), which you spread around and the cats then think there is a large cat in the garden and keep out! Never tried it though. :) :)

For me the largest problem with a OO garden layout would be the continual maintenance of plant life to stop the tracks/track bed becoming engulfed in unwanted vegetation! :o
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Flashbang wrote: Someone suggest to me a some while ago that getting Lion then think there is a large cat in the garden and keep out! Never tried it though. :) :)
A little misquote --
Xivulo_resize.jpg
Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Flashbang wrote:,,, The best anti cat device is IMO..... a dog...
Grey squirrels are even better:
Available free and in plentiful supply.
No training required.
No barking.
No feeding.
No vet's bills.
No need to walk.
No need for affection.
No need to pick up droppings.
No persistent bad smells in the house.
Very entertaining while they spend hours trying to get into a squirrel proof bird feeder.

Suicidally brave. Even if injured they still go for it. Our first such when we moved in was 'Stumpy' missing much of a tail and a foreleg, and with a back leg that had been broken and healed. (Renamed 'Stumpina' after a few years acquaintance, having been observed mating; it lived on seven years from first sighting so its injuries didn't affect longevity.) Much to our surprise - never having lived close to squirrels before - when another (human) family moved in nearby a few months later, this specimen took on these new neighbour's cat and gave it a good chewing one summer's evening, the racket was unbelievable.

Similar events have been observed with subsequent cat/squirrel combinations. Squirrel chewed cats need no second telling, they stay away. And if a squirrel happens to buy the farm, then Fox services have always been very swift with the funeral arrangements; and there are many more squirrels than cats so there's always another to resume the fray. Cat owners tend not to renew their cat when the one that got chewed and came home all tatty is retired. What's not to like?
Andy79

Post by Andy79 »

captrees wrote:
Andy79 wrote:,,,,and I live in Tredegar - S.Wales
My great grandfather was a steam engine fitter from Tredegar. Must be in the blood....
I'm Merthyr lad originally but my good lady is a Tredegar girl :D :D
Andy79

Post by Andy79 »

Bigmet wrote:
Flashbang wrote:,,, The best anti cat device is IMO..... a dog...
Grey squirrels are even better:
Available free and in plentiful supply.
No training required.
No barking.
No feeding.
No vet's bills.
No need to walk.
No need for affection.
No need to pick up droppings.
No persistent bad smells in the house.
Very entertaining while they spend hours trying to get into a squirrel proof bird feeder.

Suicidally brave. Even if injured they still go for it. Our first such when we moved in was 'Stumpy' missing much of a tail and a foreleg, and with a back leg that had been broken and healed. (Renamed 'Stumpina' after a few years acquaintance, having been observed mating; it lived on seven years from first sighting so its injuries didn't affect longevity.) Much to our surprise - never having lived close to squirrels before - when another (human) family moved in nearby a few months later, this specimen took on these new neighbour's cat and gave it a good chewing one summer's evening, the racket was unbelievable.

Similar events have been observed with subsequent cat/squirrel combinations. Squirrel chewed cats need no second telling, they stay away. And if a squirrel happens to buy the farm, then Fox services have always been very swift with the funeral arrangements; and there are many more squirrels than cats so there's always another to resume the fray. Cat owners tend not to renew their cat when the one that got chewed and came home all tatty is retired. What's not to like?
I need to get some squirrels lol, our Lab is too soft :D :D
Andy79

Post by Andy79 »

Flashbang wrote:
Andy79 wrote: <SNIP>
.....we do have the problem of other cats spraying in the garden so I will be trying to keep them out with those anti cat noise things, hopefully keep ours off it as well lol
I purchased three anti cat ultra sonic solar recharged devices, as our rear garden was (Still is!) a toilet for all the neighbourhood cats. They just don't work, in fact one cat was seen spraying over one of the devices! The best anti cat device is IMO..... a dog.
Someone suggest to me a some while ago that getting Lion wee or their Droppings (Cant remember which?), which you spread around and the cats then think there is a large cat in the garden and keep out! Never tried it though. :) :)

For me the largest problem with a OO garden layout would be the continual maintenance of plant life to stop the tracks/track bed becoming engulfed in unwanted vegetation! :o
I will figure something, I will be putting down some anti weed sheeting so hopefully will hold the weeds back for a few years.
Andy79

Post by Andy79 »

Hi guys, it has been a while but I now have 2 layouts, I didn't get the garden railway I wanted but I am lucky to have an awesome missus that has turned the living room into a man cave so I have them in there.
The first layout was gifted to me by a very kind man called Neil from Enwins 3D models and the second I bought from Market place really cheap, I will be joining them both together when my fibromyalgia flares settle down.
I'm looking forward to getting stuck in :D :D
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I am lucky to have an awesome missus that has turned the living room into a man cave so I have them in there.
Indeed you are, I also count myself as lucky, my wife is very encouraging of my hobby. She travelled a lot by train as a student and now loves going on Heritage lines and excursions. The organiser on one recent trip did a double take, I was sat looking at the scenery, my wife was plotting our progress in my copy of "Track Atlas." He looked back and forth at us and said "That has to be a first".
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions