Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
FrenchBrian

Post by FrenchBrian »

Hi,
I have just joined and have two problems:-
One - not being IT literate I don't understand how to find my way about - are there any simple instructions anywhere or advice?
Two - have splashed out and bought Stevenson's Rocket on e-bay (which looks fantastic) but daren't take it out of the box as apparently it is very fragile. Has there been any discussion on this? - can't find any. Also need to get a chip - any advice? (not having put a chip in ever).
I started building an 00 DCC a few years ago, and scratch build all my scenery, but I live in Maureillas, a village in southern France, south of Perpignan and have no friendly model shop to go to.
Any advice in getting me going on this site gratefully received.
Brian
Dublo

Re: New member

Post by Dublo »

Welcome to the forum Brian.
I'm sure that you will find answers to any question here there are some very knowledgeable gentlemen amongst us. I would love to see some photos of your layout.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Hi Brian,
welcome to the forum.
FrenchBrian wrote:One - not being IT literate I don't understand how to find my way about - are there any simple instructions anywhere or advice?
Click on everything and see where it takes you.
FrenchBrian wrote:Two - have splashed out and bought Stevenson's Rocket on e-bay (which looks fantastic) but daren't take it out of the box as apparently it is very fragile. Has there been any discussion on this?
Model trains are just things. It is of no use in its box.
Regards
Rob
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hello Brian, and welcome to the friendliest set of Forums in my experience, in my humble opinion.
FrenchBrian wrote:One - not being IT literate I don't understand how to find my way about - are there any simple instructions anywhere or advice?
I think that you are doing just fine. You can always post a question in this thread that you have started, and at the very least those of us who have responded will be seeing your posts as soon as they are posted.
I am new to these forums (one month) but I have already received a great deal of help both in using the forums, and in getting restarted after an absence from modelling of about sixty years.
... but I live in Maureillas, a village in southern France, south of Perpignan and have no friendly model shop to go to.
What?!!??? About four years ago I was being coached in Spanish by a young lady who was raised from near where you live. If I remember her name I will send you a Private Message (PM). I traveled through Perpignan on two trips between Paris and Valencia in 1979 and 1980! I now live in Bonavista, Newfoundland, closer to The Azores than to Toronto, and have to order everything online, so, welcome to The New World!
Cheers
Chris
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Welcome to NewrailwayModellers
not being IT literate I don't understand how to find my way about - are there any simple instructions anywhere or advice?
The easiest way to use this site is to use the "Quick Links" You'll find them on the left hand side just below the big blue banner. They'll give you simple access to things like the newest posts, things that have been posted recently, or even all the posts you've made in reverse chronological order. Just click on anything that looks like it might be of interest, just click the back arrow if it's not. or close the window by clicking the X in the tab if you get totally lost.
Cheers
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Hello and welcome.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

FrenchBrian wrote:...have splashed out and bought Stevenson's Rocket on e-bay (which looks fantastic) but daren't take it out of the box as apparently it is very fragile. Has there been any discussion on this? - can't find any. Also need to get a chip - any advice? (not having put a chip in ever).
Click on this link for a little piece on Stephenson's Rocket on this site:

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... =1&t=56115

And keep clicking as already suggested, you'll soon enough get the hang of it, and unlike falling off a bicycle you won't get hurt when something doesn't go right!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Welcome on board, Brian. A knowledgeable train crew here.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hello Brian.
Welcome.

All my French is: Beaujolais Nuveau, Camembert, Paturain, baguette, voie de 60 and Decauville but I love the old scenes of France and try to build things inspired on mainly old postcards from Delcampe's website and such.

My suggestion about dealing with the forum is: stop clicking only if you have a got a cramp in your fingers.

Enjoy!

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.