Using "Quote" and other editor commands.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Bufferstop

Using "Quote" and other editor commands.

Post by Bufferstop »

Firstly I apologise to peterjg for using his post for this example but he'd obviously seen the use of a quote but not what it does. So for anyone not used to using embedded formatting commands here goes.
When your post is displayed the engine doing the work (it's called a "parser") looks out for bits of text enclosed in brackets (what most people call square brackets). when it finds one it applies some formatting or performs a pre-defined operation. In this case we are wishing to quote someone's post, and it starts with "quote=someone" in brackets . The instruction is passed to another process called "the renderer" which creates a panel in a different style and inserts a heading which says someone wrote. Then repeats everything that someone posted until it finds the command /quote in another pair of brackets. You can delete parts of what they posted so that only the pertinent part is repeated, but it's considered bad practice to alter what they wrote. Here's what it looks like in the editor

Code: Select all

[quote="peterjg"]"Bigmet quote" Now we know what you have got, there's a couple of things to look at before going any further:
Thanks  Bigmet I cut and pasted your comment as I haven't figured out how to use the quote facility, I am not very good with computers!

Peter[/quote]
If you manually cut and paste then highlight what you have pasted the click quote you'll get the same effect but without the authors name.
I'll return to this post later with some of the other commands. Anyone around my age who used "Wordstar" in the 70s and 80s might be getting a bit nostalgic now.

Something which works rather like quote is code, you'll see I used it to show what was in the editor not what appears on screen when you read the post. What it does is it renders the selected text without searching it for commands.

URL allows you to insert a clickable link and IMG allows you to embed an image which is stored elsewhere on the Internet. If you want to use images which you posses on multiple websites IMG identifies a link to the image, you usually need to set who the image may be shared with using the software on the host site and you will get a short bit of BBCode which you paste into your post and enclose in img and /img tags. The image will appear at the insertion point in your post and depending on the code they supply it may be clickable to see other images on that site.
Look for the posts on How to include images from "Flickr" etc.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Ironduke

Re: Using "Quote" and other editor commands.

Post by Ironduke »

If you're typing a reply and need some guidance, you can click on the BBCode link to the right of the text box, under the smilies.
Regards
Rob