Selling a collection

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
jawini

Selling a collection

Postby jawini » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:06 am

Hi all,
I have a large collection which we are looking to sell from locos to magazines. All of the locos and carriages are boxed and listed but we are looking to sell as much of it together as possible. A couple of terrible pictures attached hopefully. This might not be the right place to post, but could anyone point me in the right direction. Thank you :D

jawini

Re: Selling a collection

Postby jawini » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:08 am

Sorry the pictures do not seem to attach, i will try again later on my laptop

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:52 am

I don't know how you were "attaching" the images I can't see the relevant code in your post.
Either choose attach from the panel below the editor, choose the files on your computer the "place in line" to where you want them to appear,
or upload them to a third party hosting site such as Flickr then post the link that they give you when you opt to publish or share them. The route to them from your desktop won't work for anyone else it specifically has to be the link your hosting service provides. Squawk if you have problems with it.

John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:15 pm

Isn't there a rule where a member has to make a certain amount of posts before offering items for sale?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:59 pm

glencairn wrote:Isn't there a rule where a member has to make a certain amount of posts before offering items for sale?

Glencairn

Not here, but this link does cover using the forum solely for selling items https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1079
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:25 pm

Flashbang wrote:
glencairn wrote:Isn't there a rule where a member has to make a certain amount of posts before offering items for sale?

Glencairn

Not here, but this link does cover using the forum solely for selling items https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1079

I stand corrected and apologise. Sorry.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:39 am

O.K let's get realistic about this.
Selling a collection.
The only quick, simple and complete way is to move on to a trader. You won't get the top price
as they do it to make a profit.
Want to get a better price ? Then you are going to have to work at it with a lot of hassle. The prime
selling place being ebay, again you won't sell a complete collection, that way it'll have to be in dribs
and drabs. This will involve loads of packing and posting, with the job taking months to even years
depending on the collection size.
As to traders you could try Hatton's, Rails of Sheffield, or others and you'll find details in the traders
pages of Railway Modeller magazine.

Sorry but that's life, in a community like NRM most already have more than they need and although
like probably a few other webforums we do have a 'For Sale' section this is A) for registered members
and B) usually only works with single sales of items.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:08 am

This is probably all very discouraging for you but I’m afraid that Geoff is correct. I’d only add two things: magazines are best put out for recycling as nobody will buy them and - perhaps more positively - some clubs hold stock sales for their members to purchase from. Our’s does and we collect, sort and value and charge a 20 % commission on the take which goes into club funds. It works well for the vendor and the club. Obviously, no clubs will be holding sales right now, but it might be worth exploring options with any club close to you.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:39 am

Dad-1 wrote:O.K let's get realistic about this.
Selling a collection.
The only quick, simple and complete way is to move on to a trader. You won't get the top price
as they do it to make a profit.
Want to get a better price ? Then you are going to have to work at it with a lot of hassle. The prime
selling place being ebay, again you won't sell a complete collection, that way it'll have to be in dribs
and drabs. This will involve loads of packing and posting, with the job taking months to even years
depending on the collection size...

That's a summary I wholly support, from experience of handling two collections that were independently donated to a charity shop, for which a member of the family undertook voluntary management. Aha, she thought, I know someone...

I obtained the buying in quotes from a couple of the larger dealers already named: thought them both fair, and they were within 2% of each other. I tried local clubs, and their take was that they had enough stock, and only offered this service to members, or late members relatives. On making this report I was then asked 'could you get more?' and foolishly replied yes, and was asked to proceed on that basis. Comfortably a year for each collection, and the tedious dealing with potential customers with 'is the box unfaded?', 'what's the casting identity?', 'are the wheels black or brown?', 'can you hold onto it for a few months as I am skint?'.

Never again, straight to a dealer who has the facilities set up to achieve resale.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 am

I'd just add, Or break it down into manageable 'lots'.
i.e. 'Track', 'buildings', 'wagons' , 'locos'. Or something akin to that.
Also you didn't mention a rough location. I'm imaging it will need to be collected.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

jawini

Postby jawini » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:13 pm

Thank you all for your replies! :D
This is the kind of information i was looking for, I am now thinking of taking it to a dealer to save the hassle of ebay and then giving away the magazines etc to a club if they want them. I would rather the items go to someone who will use and enjoy them.

I am in the North West area of the UK so if any of you know of clubs who would take a load of old magazines please let me know.

Again thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Yes it falls into the category of...
You can have it right or Friday.
As the owner of a sizable collection acquired over many years, I've advised my kids to sell to one of the big box shifters who run a used section and appear on ebay. They won't get 'what it's worth', but better that than it's binned as 'too much trouble.'

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”