Hello Everyone

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
dietcoke

Hello Everyone

Postby dietcoke » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:44 am

I havn't had train set since I was a child, and as a teenager helped build our school layout which I enjoyed enormously. That was all 34 years ago as now I'm 49. The thought of messing about with trains one day never really left me, and now that day has come. I've taken the plunge and bought the Hornby Santa Coca Cola set- the other half thinks its a bit of a joke but funny all the same.

I don't know where this is going to go. My rational head says develop or remember your modelling skills (such as they were) with some small scale changes to the loco (lights, dcc, sound etc) or build a building or modify a ready made building- that sort of thing. My irrational ambitious mind wants a layout of course- but then I live in a flat with no extra space.

I've had a good look at a lot of the layouts posted by members here and they are very inspirational. As are the comments and ideas and help members here give each other.

captrees

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby captrees » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:30 am

Welcome, Dietcoke. It took some of us longer than 34 years to scratch that itch, but enjoy the planning and upgrade the forum on progress. The modelling skills are a trial and error thing, and our other halves never really understand.

FWIW I had 2 Coca Cola trucks, but they got painted dirty brown and acquired steel wheels. Vimto was the drink in the 50's, and coke was something you burnt to keep the house warm.

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:23 am

Welcome aboard

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:53 am

Welcome to the group. In my experience, once you get the model railway bug you can never shake it. I came back to the hobby after a gap of many years (more than I care to remember!). As to other halves, mine was very amused and sceptical when I announced that I intended to build a railway in our box room (she just took the **** basically) but now it's being built and she can see that it's rather more than just 'playing trains', she loves it. I've even caught her reading a copy of Railway Modeller :lol:

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:03 am

dietcoke wrote: and as a teenager helped build our school layout which I enjoyed enormously.

Welcome to the Forum dietcoke - that brings back poignant memories - we were setting up our school layout for the School Christmas Fair the next day when the news came through of JFK's assassination.

As BrightonMan says - the bug is there, and no vaccine can shift it.

So just let it take you wherever!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Welcome on board, dietcoke.

Keep it fun and enjoy the journey.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Welcome to the forum dietcoke.
I just want to echo Glencairn keep it fun.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:33 pm

I will join in the welcome.
dietcoke wrote: My irrational ambitious mind wants a layout of course- but then I live in a flat with no extra space...

One of the good aspects of this hobby is that there are many paths to follow, you can collect or make items toward 'the layout that is yet to come' when space permits. That said folks have found ingenious solutions to this type of problem, such as a shelf around the walls at a height above the tops of door and window frames...

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:50 pm

dietcoke wrote: My irrational ambitious mind wants a layout of course- but then I live in a flat with no extra space.

Just to say. John Charman built his first 'Charford' in a caravan.
Alan Wright built Inglenook Sidings. http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/ ... enook.html

There is a way. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum dietcoke. :)
When I hear of space constraints my mind goes back to a friend of mine who's father, adept at woodwork, created a twin fold down layout for him and his brother, hinged from the wall where the first fold down was a Scalextric track layout then the next fold down was a railway layout that sat on top of the Scalextric layout.
Very clever and space saving. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:33 am

Hello. Have you seen these?

http://smallbrookstudio.co.uk/kits-part ... rrow-Gauge

Your little loco can be used as a chassis or a complete donor loco to make some of these (See above link) and one can even adapt the wagon chassis etc to work with one or two of the waggon kits. (If interested make sure you have the right body kit for your chassis).

I thought I would share these for ideas.

I model in 7mm narrow gauge and I find it ideal for fitting in a small space. My layout is just 2ft wide and just under 7ft long.

Pinknosedpenguin who is a member here also has a 7mm narrow gauge layout smaller then the one I have, and is lovely and scenic.. (My layout is not finished yet).

While 7mm narrow gauge does need one to be able to make things, it is not too difficult to do.
7mm narrow gauge is known as 0-16.5 here in the UK, 0e in Europe and 0n30 in the USA, but USA models are massive!

Alternatively some nice little 00 gauge layouts can be made with the loco and stock you have. It is whatever works best for you.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum.

dietcoke

Postby dietcoke » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:52 pm

thank you all so much for your encouragement and kind comments.

i'm looking forward to opening the box and playing trains, oops, running the loco in

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Welcome Dietcoke, I see you are already getting lots of advice. You say you enjoyed developing the school layout, so being a member of a club might appeal to you There's a great site for finding modelshops called the UK Modelshops Directory https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/ it also has a list of links to Model Railway Clubs have a look to see if there's one in your area as going along to one might be something to do once we are trusted to go out again.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”