hi all

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
VL80

hi all

Postby VL80 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:19 am

Hi everybody! My name is Luca. I am slowly growing my collection of locomotives. Mainly interested in soviet era trains.

Stainsacre

Re: hi all

Postby Stainsacre » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:33 am

Welcome aboard Luca, looking forward to you input on something completely different from the UK mainstream.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:51 am

Welcome to the group, Luca. I have no knowledge what so ever about Soviet trains, so will watch your posts with interest.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:20 am

Hi Luca,

This could be VERY interesting.
I don't even know without searching it out what the standard Russian/Soviet gauge is.
Wider than out 4' 8.1/2" I know.
As to models who makes where/how do you get them ??

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:02 am

Welcome on board, Luca.

Russian Gauge is 5ft (1524mm). In 1960 it was redefined as 1520mm.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm

Russia made the change to 5ft after one of the wars they had where they were invaded so quickly and easily via their railway network, it shocked them and they changed their entire system to 5ft as it was a gauge that no one else was using, and to be honest, who can blame them? Ones peoples safety and security have to come first.

I don't know a great deal about their trains either, except some of them were real marvels of technological advancements. My Dad told me that they had huge steam locomotives that were built to be able to run on just a single cup full of water to raise steam for crossing the Trans Siberian Desert. (I don't know if this is true or not? My Dad had seen it on a TV program e in the 1970's. I was too young at the time to see the significance, but my Dad thought it was an amazing achievement in design).

I sometimes look at steam locomotives from around the world where I used to think "That looks odd. What have they done that for?" or "Why did't they make a proper cab?" or "Why not burn coal like everyone else?" but I would fail to see in my earlier years the conditions that other countries faced in running their railway systems and even their people customs, and how inventive ech country was in adapting or designing steam locomotives to cater for their railways needs.
So no longer did I think "Why not burn coal" when I saw those bales of the waste from sugar beet in the tenders of the sugar plantation locos which had curved tin sheet roofs over their tenders to protect the bales from getting wet in the rain...
And also countries that were so hot that to have a "Proper cab" would have made it impossible to use...
And then came local customs where locomotives are decorated like India and they can look wonderful! And other poorer countries which have a mix of locomotives feom various builders throughout the world and somehow they have kept these locos on the rails for years with very little in the way of financial support and to me those people deserve medals for doing so. Sometimes we get soo technical here in the west and we may moan about a branch line cut here or there, but these guys had nothing without their railways.
It reminds me of a thought I had before about where are the best and most inventive car mechanics? It HAS to be in Cuba! It was a miriacle in how they kept their cars on the roads for so long!

But I am getting sidetracked now. Back to Russia, and welcome to our forum.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi Luca, I hope you didn't have to try too many times to get your registration through our checks. We get an enormous number of would be hackers and trolls using Russian IP addresses. We do a lot more checks than just IP address but I always worry we might delete someone with a genuine interest in railways. Welcome to the forum.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”