Baseboards for beginners....

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
heritageman1954

Baseboards for beginners....

Postby heritageman1954 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi,
My name is Tom and I live in sunny Ivybridge just south of Dartmoor in Devon.

My question is that I am disabled and I want a easy to build modular baseboard that does not look like that it has come out of a Star Wars set and has not been finished.

I had a nose around on the internet last night and I found a manufacturer of plywood baseboards called Harry Maynard. His boards look well made and easy to assemble. Has anyone bought a board from him and if so, would you recommend it?

Thanks. I should add that I am looking for a 8 x 4 baseboard for a OO gauge layout.

Bufferstop

Re: Baseboards for beginners....

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:36 pm

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. Baseboards come in a host of configurations. You say that you are disabled which could make quite a difference to the best sort of baseboard for your needs. An 8x4 board is a heavy beast of a thing for any of us and single piece boards of this size are probably responsible for more people giving up than you would realise. For the good folks on here to make sensible suggestions You may need to tell us about any limitations you have in terms of reach, working height, mobility and dexterity. Is your layout intended to be permanently set up, or will it need to be taken down and put away, in which case will you need, or do you have assistance?
Large rectangular boards need free access along the two long sides and preferably one end as well. At your optimum working height two feet from each accessible side sets the maximum width as you can't reach over more than that without leaning on the things closer to you. So do tell us what you hope to do and you'll get plenty of suggestions about the baseboard you need.

John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Flashbang

Re: Baseboards for beginners....

Postby Flashbang » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Hi
Harry Maynard produces very good baseboards. There of course other manufactures too with equally good products.
An 8ft x 4ft configuration would normally need 4 2ft x 4ft boards all locked together.
However, access to the rear and outer edges of these boards must be maintained for maintenance etc.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”