Hello From Sunny Norfolk

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
KanpaiKeith

Hello From Sunny Norfolk

Postby KanpaiKeith » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:17 am

Hi guys and gals just signed up to this great site.

I’m going to describe myself as a complete novice as I’ve never done any railway modelling previously. Roll back a few ahem, years to when I was a nipper and received my first set in the 70s. It was a battery operated Lima freight set IIRC had an early BR green diesel shunter, and some wagons and I was bitten. My first Hornby set arrived to following Christmas containing a charming 0-4-0 tank and 3 4 -wheeled coaches in “Highland Railways” livery. I found out shortly after that a friends dad on our estate had just built a layout in his garage. Needless to say I was round there like a shot with my rolling stock in hand.

A few years after starting work and buying a home with my now wife I wanted to rekindle my love of model railways. I stuck a savings jar on the side and put in any loose change I had (remember these where the days of 17% mortgage rates). Eventually I had enough to Hornby’s Highlander set, saddle tank, 4-wheel coach and 2 wagons. I loved it! The Mighty Mallard and suburban passenger sets soon followed.

I wanted to build my own layout so set about acquiring track and rolling stock. Unfortunately we never really settled anywhere long enough to make a start and then the kids came along and everything was shelved.

Which brings me to now. I chosen to start with a clean slate and an open mind and chose the scale and type of railway that I want as there is much much more available that there ever was before. With a somewhat heavy heart I have sold off most of my OO stock to fund my venture....... Japanese layout in N gauge.

I’m sure many “beginners questions will follow, so thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Ex-Pat

Re: Hello From Sunny Norfolk

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:32 am

KanpaiKeith wrote: With a somewhat heavy heart I have sold off most of my OO stock to fund my venture....... Japanese layout in N gauge.

That explains your username - I learnt the Japanese for "cheers!" from some ladies at a winery in Italy last year.

Welcome to the Forum - you will certainly notice the difference from your beginnings in model railways.

Kanpai!

KanpaiKeith

Postby KanpaiKeith » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:
KanpaiKeith wrote: With a somewhat heavy heart I have sold off most of my OO stock to fund my venture....... Japanese layout in N gauge.

That explains your username - I learnt the Japanese for "cheers!" from some ladies at a winery in Italy last year.

Welcome to the Forum - you will certainly notice the difference from your beginnings in model railways.

Kanpai!

Did a tour a Japan last year for the RWC awesome country and wonderful people. Great railways too and beer :D. We made the most of our JR railpass.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi and welcome to NRM Forum.

Sounds exciting! Japanese N gauge. Unusual for us in the UK. Out of interest, have you been to Japan? Those lovely long trains do need a small scale to get the most out of them as Japanese passenger trains are pretty long!

I am now an 0-16.5 modeller. More about trains half lazing about with an atmosphere of being looked after but having not having much funding... Almost a preserved scene but not quite! (I am yet to actually decide on things but this is the way I am heading in my thought patterns).

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Welcome on board KanpaiKeith. Japanese N Gauge eh! Will they be travelling like a bullet? :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

KanpaiKeith

Postby KanpaiKeith » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:57 pm

I’ve been to Japan and riden the Shinkansens including the fast ones.

I’ve seen some very nice compact N gauge layouts that fit much into a small space ( typical Japanese). The long term goal would be the have one of these urban layouts at one end of my loft and add a long separate Shinkansen line around the perimeter of the loft. But that’s all some way off yet. I’m starting small and use set track to start.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”