Complete numpty modeller here.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Peterrushton

Complete numpty modeller here.

Postby Peterrushton » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:11 am

Good day and and all.......
More through luck than judgement, about 3 years ago, I obtained a large, indeed very large, display. It had to be cut into 4 parts to remove and then fitted back together in my double garage. As a note here, it was with the other half’s permission.
It’s a DCC layout with houses, a canal, roads, school, church, main line station and branch line station. I have been tinkering with bits and pieces but i am now looking at changing the manual points into DCC points.
I have recently retired, but my model making and small scale electronics skills are at best non existent When the time comes I am hoping there are brains available on here vastly superior to mine that I can scour for the relevant information.

End2end

Re: Complete numpty modeller here.

Postby End2end » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:23 am

Hi Peterrushton and welcome to the forum. :D
Don't worry about the non existent skills. You'll soon pick up and develop most of what you need ..ahem...excuse the pun...down the line. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:56 am

Welcome...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:19 am

Peter, welcome, you seem to have made a lot of progress already. More time now retired to dig deeper. Well, perhaps, I seem to have less time than ever now retired!
Peterrushton wrote:...I have been tinkering with bits and pieces but i am now looking at changing the manual points into DCC points...

Don't rush at this one. Just my opinion, but DCC is excellent for driving locos, not so well suited to point control. My (slowly building) layout will have only the running line points DCC addressable, for route automation. (There's a lot more choice in point motorisation too, servo motors, slow motion motors, in addition to our old friend the solenoid.)

Most of my points will be manual, operated directly by mechanical linkages. This is because to shunt a yard or sidings, you have to be right there to see what you are doing: so the 'signal box' worth of point controls can be right in front of you. It's way cheaper too...

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 am

Hi Peter. Welcome on board.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi Peter - welcome to the forum, it would be good to see some photographs or a plan of the layout, mind you some newcomers find that a bigger challenge than building the layout!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”