New member with steam roller question

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
MichaelStr

New member with steam roller question

Postby MichaelStr » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi,

I am building aspects of Salisbury around 1960 in 00 gauge. I'm researching and representing LSWR and GWR stations, the Market House and Milford goods yard. All the books say that the line into the Market House was removed years before and there is a pre-war photo to prove it. But there's a mystery as I and another chap both remember seeing a train in there in the late 50s. Was the line put back for a few years in a final attempt to rebuild the business? OR are we both suffering false memory syndrome?

Around 1960 a steam roller would pass along our road in Salisbury twice a day. But I thought it would add interest to show it with a gang laying tarmac. I have a suitable model roller but does anyone recall what would the gang have been doing and wearing and what equipment or other vehicles would have been used? A photo or two would be nice to work from but I am struggling to find any suitable.
Michael

mahoganydog

Re: New member with steam roller question

Postby mahoganydog » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:14 pm

In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

21C1

Postby 21C1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:22 pm

There's a picture on Pinterest of an Ivatt 2-6-2 41320 in the yard at Milford-Goods situated less than a mile from Salisbury-Tunnel-Junction on the
Southampton line. Not dated but it has a late crest.

Would this be the one?
Tony

MichaelStr

Postby MichaelStr » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks for the YouTube video which showed stone being ground up,spread and then rolled but without tar.

I found that mixing tar and chippings was invented in 1902. So that's definitely what I want.

https://www.igg.org.uk/rail/00-app1/roads.htm
has diagram with a tar boiler, men spreading chippings and spraying tar with a lance and pipe from the boiler.
"The hand-pump tar boilers remained in use certainly into the later 1950s, quite possibly into the 1960s"

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:06 am

MichaelStr wrote:Thanks for the YouTube video which showed stone being ground up,spread and then rolled but without tar.

I found that mixing tar and chippings was invented in 1902. So that's definitely what I want.

has diagram with a tar boiler, men spreading chippings and spraying tar with a lance and pipe from the boiler.
"The hand-pump tar boilers remained in use certainly into the later 1950s, quite possibly into the 1960s"

I remember men spraying tar with a lance and pipe from the boiler in the late 1950s.

Here is an article on roads and roadworks that is interesting imho.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”