Setting up a new layout

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
DianeH

Setting up a new layout

Postby DianeH » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 am

Hi all,
I'm a newly retired lady and decided to set up a layout for my two small grandsons. I could do with some advice for the roads. I was going to use the road kits from Wordsworth (which i'm impressed with) but my husband thinks they will fade and thinks I should paint them. What do you think?

luckymucklebackit

Re: Setting up a new layout

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:11 am

Hi - It will depend on how much direct sunlight reaches the layout. I recently dismantled a display layout that sat in the foyer of a care home for about five years and there was considerable fading to the card buildings that received the direct sunlight, however that was a fairly severe example. If the layout is in a normal room I would not expect much fading. Painting your roads does however have the flexibility of allowing you to do what you want.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

DianeH

Postby DianeH » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:15 am

Hi Jim,

thanks for that, it will be in a bedroom which faces south unfortunately, so maybe paint would be best.

Diane

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi DianeH. Welcome to the Forum.

As Jim suggests -- Painting your roads does have the flexibility of allowing you to do what you want. You can then put in 'repairs to the road', ' faded white lines' etc., not shown on most printed roads on card.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

DianeH

Postby DianeH » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi Glencairn,

Thanks for the post, i'll start googling paint.

Diane

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi Diane painting your roads is best as you won't have so many regular joints in the surfaces. You need to consider what to do to disguise any joints you have to cross. Pedestrian crossings are one device, but the most useful is the reinstatement scar where the road has been dug up then just that bit relaid with a slightly mismatched tarmac. Having been responsible for digging up many roads I spot the scars every time I look at a road. My art teacher used to chant "paint what you see, not what you think is there.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:30 pm

If you were to cut out the white lines on the wordsworth road sheets you could use them as a template to paint the white lines on your painted roads. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:49 pm

I would prefer to paint roads. One suggestion is to paint the road black or dark grey and lightly sprinkle Vim scouring powder on it while the paint is wet.. Please experiment first as I have never tried this method so I've no idea if it works. In theory the powder will lighten up the paint colour and give a real look to it.
Another idea is to paint the road a light grey and while wet sprinkle a similar colour grey sawdust onto it.
Whichever method you use, do a few experiments with old offcuts of wood to see which method works the best for you.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi Diane,
Further to Mountain's post, another suggestion for giving your roads texture and colour, which I saw in the American magazine 'Model Railroader', is to paint on very fine sandpaper. Good luck with your layout!

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi Diane ,,,I used black Tarmac scatter ,,probably made by Javis or Woodland Senics,,I firstly painted the road black and then when dry I applied pva and then sprinkled on the scatter ,,just another option for you ,,,,mjb

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi Diane, welcome to the forum! :)
I use very fine wet 'n' dry (it smooths out imperfections underneath) and paint with grey paint (emulsion, poster or acrylic will do). A 2inch paint roller gives a smooth even covering.
Disguise joins as above.
Add lines with nail tape.
Example
Tape
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”