Hello

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
indiaXray

Hello

Post by indiaXray »

Hello,

I’m an experienced scale modeler looking for something different. I dabbled in model railways as a child, but lost interest, so I’m effectively starting from scratch as far as all things railway-related go. This site seemed the perfect place to start. I am strongly leaning towards N gauge due to my current space limitations and cost but I may get into a larger scale in the future. An additional challenge is that I am currently living and working in the USA, so I must consider the problems of power supply/voltage & manufacturer availability/shipping. But in this age of the internet, those problems are not unsolvable, but any advice is appreciated.

Why then am I posting on a UK-based forum? Firstly, I am from London and my formative train exposure was entirely British. I grew up next to what was Southern Railways track, but during the BR-blue era which I thought was very cool, so I haven’t settled on the era yet, but I know I want to do UK there are lots possibilities. Secondly, I will eventually return to the UK, so it makes sense to plug into the hobby for when I'm back.

- James
Bufferstop

Re: Hello

Post by Bufferstop »

Welcome aboard James, the only problem I can see to you being in the US is your aim of bringing it back home, you either need a control system that can work on both 120 and 240volt systems. Or simply accept that you'll have to sell the US one and buy a new one in the UK. Not an insurmountable problem.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Welcome to the forum. I naturally suggest narrow gauge for space saving but apart from the Vale of Rheidol Railway, B.R. Blue era is pretty much a standard gauge affair so your choice for a small space in N gauge is a very apt one. One could use 00 gauge in a simple end to end form. I have even seen 0 gauge on a very short length of track, but as good as 0 gauge is, one really needs a little more room to get the best from it.
N gauge has a lot to offer these days as the wheels and the code 55 track really give a realistic look. Its a great shame that those huge couplings are still being made... But one can always look into different couplings if it irritates the eyes.
Whichever route you finally decide on there's lots of advice to be had. There's normally someone somewhere that will have the right answer for your needs. :D
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi indiaXray. Welcome on board.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Welcome indiaXray
Welcome to the world of model railways.
This is a nice friendly forum, and there are some very good and experienced modellers here. Their range of knowledge is extensive and I'm sure there are people here who will be able to help you. I too grew up in BR blue Southern region land.