Shunting ideas.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Mountain

Re: Shunting ideas.

Postby Mountain » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Flexible track will curve to fit a diameter which is beyond what most stock will run on it... Certainly much tighter then first radius.
However two issues start to happen. The first is that there is a strong tendency for the track to spring back to straighten itself so when one is trying to curve it too sharply the ends of the rails where the joiners are need extra support. This is why for 00 gauges recommend one to use sectional track for first or second radius curves.
The second thing that takes place is there comes a certain point where the sleepers start to bend at odd angles which effects the gauge of the track. This tends to happen if one tries to go less then about 20" diameter or thereabouts (Which is so sharp only smaller shunting engines will negotiate).
I enclose a picture of my narrow gauge track which the curves actually started life as Peco code 100 flexible track in 00 gauge (Which will curve if one is careful to turn in this space if one is careful without modification. I've just replaced sleepers to make my own track more suitable to my requirements for 7mm narrow gauge use). I show this just to show that flexible track will curve sharper then you need it to.
(As my rails are soldered to every sleeper it is no longer flexible but it did start out as flexible track).
The layout is 2ft x 7ft.
Attachments
IMG_20171027_165935.jpg

captrees

Postby captrees » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Mountain and Emettman, thank you for your words of wisdom. So now I've changed my mind again, and will start with fixed track, and learn my skills first. Also I have discovered another shop in Perth that has a good range of gear, so I'm off shopping in the morning. I'll get some timber too. Stay tuned....

captrees

Postby captrees » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:34 am

As time passes, pieces accumulate, and we are ready for the build process. Following on from the advice here, I have bought the most basic trainset, but that gives me a third radius oval, simple controller, etc. I bought enough (Hornby kit) track to make a second radius oval inside the first, and some straights to extend the ovals enough to fit my piece of ply.

I put together what I had, so I could learn more, and will scheme up a more elaborate layout soon. I have learnt a lot, and am glad I didn’t jump into flexitrack or DCC. That can come later as I extend. And so the trainset as is, is on a piece of plywood that is too narrow, supported by a desk that is too small. This has led to an interesting situation where I was forced to put beading around the ply to stop the train falling off. Not having enough beading for the job meant that one end sagged, giving me an immediate insight into what gradients and cambers can be used later on. And the little shunting engine pushing the Standard 4 with 5 coaches works well on gradients, which is just what I had in mind.

Reasearch and not rushing these things is the key, I guess. Timber has been ordered, modelling has begun, and I’ll start another thread as we progress.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:51 am

Is a good idea to start small with a simple trainset and go from there. :)

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:38 am

Mountain wrote:Is a good idea to start small with a simple trainset and go from there. :)

I'll second that. My first three attempts at layouts never got properly operational, never mind finished.
They were too ambitious and while they did teach me a lot, the learning curve and the mistakes to learn from would have been better done on smaller projects.
These either planned from the start as temporary experiments (in tracklaying, wiring, coupling choice, scenery techniques...) or made as modules that could later fit into an extended layout: a loco depot, a goods yard.... No reason why these shouldn't have an oval attached in the meanwhile.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

captrees

Postby captrees » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:06 am

Emettman wrote:
Mountain wrote:Is a good idea to start small with a simple trainset and go from there. :)

I'll second that. My first three attempts at layouts never got properly operational, never mind finished.
They were too ambitious and while they did teach me a lot, the learning curve and the mistakes to learn from would have been better done on smaller projects.
These either planned from the start as temporary experiments (in tracklaying, wiring, coupling choice, scenery techniques...) or made as modules that could later fit into an extended layout: a loco depot, a goods yard.... No reason why these shouldn't have an oval attached in the meanwhile.

Chris

Good stuff. Seems like I'm on the right track then. Pun intended.
Richard

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”