Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Ian05

Postby Ian05 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi guys
I’m a new member and gonna get myself a train set which I have wanted to do for years I was wondering if ppl could help I’m looking at a blue highlander would that be a good one to start me off
Thanks

TimberSurf

Re: New member

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. Which set to buy is down to personal choice and budget, any starter kit will get you up and running.
Do some research on here and either plumb for a starter, to see if it kindles more ambition, else buy individual parts to make a larger layout, but get some knowledge under your belt before going that route. Try my website as it has lots of guides for beginners Guide
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Ian05

Postby Ian05 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi timber surf
Can u tell me are all the track the same so if I bought blue highlander then wanted to add more track could that be possible

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi Ian05 and welcome to the forum. :)
I've actually fitted internal seating, people and lights and to my short 4 wheel coaches albeit theres only one in that set.
You can read on from here how I made them. - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48176&start=270#p621896
I really should have used warm white LED's instead of yellow and painted them with varnish though. Beginners mistake. :?
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Absolutely! The starters from bachmann and hornby use "standard" track, which is what is called code 100, but it is not very prototypical (lengthwise) but still fits the likes Peco set track and finescale code 100, all 3 makes (and a few more) are interchangeable.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 pm

The only descrepency I have found between Hornby and Peco track (I'm just talking about the standard set track, Code 100 here) is the crossovers.
They are angled differently so I had to use Hornby crossovers wheras all the rest of my track is Peco.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 am

Welcome aboard Ian

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Welcome on board Ian.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Hello and welcome. The trainset you mention, if it is the one I think it is, is a brilliant start into the hobby. While some would say to aim for something more grand, the little 4 wheel loco in these starter sets these days is a nice little runner. You may find the controller a bit of a pain if you have tried the luxury of a better controller, but other then that the set is excellent.
How you want to expand from there is a personal choice. The first choice is more track. As long as you keep to 00 gauge code 100 track it is fully compatible with the trainset.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:43 am

Hi Ian05 and welcome to the forum. Once you are ready to expand your basic starter set this diagram will help you identify the track sections and how they go together, each section of track will have a number moulded into the underside to tell you what it is. Stick with Hornby until you have more experience and that should keep you OK

https://www.hornby.com/media/pdf/Track-Geometry-PDF.pdf

Best of luck

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”