New on the railway set.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Builder

New on the railway set.

Postby Builder » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Hello all, firstly i have to say my name is Jim Wheeler, and now live in mid-Sussex. the "Builder" is a name i have used for many years and projects. I have returned to modelling railways after an absence of 35+ years, and currently building a 009 layout, and encountering the same problems from 40 years ago in "N" gauge! So, i will look through the forum over the next few days, and come back with a few questions ! regards, Jim.

glencairn

Re: New on the railway set.

Postby glencairn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Jim.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Welcome. 009 has become more popular now there are ready to run models available. Do you mean the same issues as in the tiny wheels and the narrow rails?
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi Jim, there's certainly more ready to run in 009 these days, but if you are up for a bit of kit bashing and a dash of scratch building O/16.5 has track and some kits and won't cost you an arm and a leg. It's easier on the eyes too, they are 35 years older as well. Take a look around ask lots of questions that's why we're here.

John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:18 pm

I will say that 0-16.5 is well worth a look. I still have 00 and used to have 009/H0e, which I later gave to a friend as I tried 0-16.5 and it was if it all was just built for me! I started off (Though I did try a brief attempt years before by converting a Hornby 0-4-0) with admiring the Smallbrook Studio loco kits. I bought one and it remained in its packet for a short while. Then one day I started to build it. It was such a personal thing oozing with character and relatively easy to build.... I just carried on and on in this scale and gauge.
I have also slowly been building a little portable 0-16.5 layout built to a budget. (Everything I seem to build is to aa tight budget, e.g. waggons for less then £2 each). My layout is an oval in 2ft X 7ft split between two boards.
I include a few photos to show my loco number 1, the layout I'm building and a simply made scratchbuilt waggon. (Made from Peco code 100 rail and baked bean tin for the body using secondhand cheaply purchased H0 box car wheels).

[I have to amend this though. As you are already building a 009 gauge layout stick with it as it is lovely stuff and it would be a shame to take up all the work you've put in if you have already made progress. I like many scales and gauges for different reasons. I've just found that personally I'm really enjoying 0-16.5 and can recommend it to others for both budget reasons and for scratch and kit building fun!]
Attachments
IMG_20171015_143043.jpg
IMG_20171019_142804.jpg
IMG_20171027_165912.jpg
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Builder wrote: currently building a 009 layout, and encountering the same problems from 40 years ago in "N" gauge! .

Hello and welcome, Builder.
I had a selection of the Eggerbahn and related OO9 types of years ago, and had fun, but not reliable running.

There are some better answers in OO9, not least with economical Kato 4 and 8 wheel chassis (for tram locos: no motion)

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:25 am

Hi builder. Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 am

Hi Builder! I model in HOe and TTe at the moment, as I've said many times there is no reason OO9 shouldn't run just fine. Let us know what the issues are and I'll try to help...

Builder

Postby Builder » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome ! I have built a pair of loco`s ,using a Farish 0-6-0 and a pug kit from Dapol, the other is a `scratch` on a Kato chassis, the pug is a bit odd, should be 0-4-0 ! still, can get away with a lot in 009,,I am getting near to completing the scenics.
I have looked into 0.16.5 too, might go for a simple USA 0n30 setup. i will try to sort out how to posts pics !

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Welcome aboard Jim

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:30 am

There are some 0-4-0 chassis out there in N which you can use, the best by far is the small Fleischmann 0-4-0T loco which is widely used, available secondhand for about £30 and is usually very reliable, though s/h ones usually need a clean and oil! For a longer wheelbase 0-4-0 you can also use an Arnold 0-6-0T with the centre wheels removed. Though Bachmann USA have just released Rheneus in the Thomas range in HOe (really OO9!) though you have to find an importer as they aren't allowed to sell it direct to the UK due to copyright!

The Farish 0-6-0 chassis are OK, but you are better off with the later 5 pole versions as you'll want slow running and they are better at that than the older 3 pole versions.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”