Hello

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Paul01

Hello

Postby Paul01 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello all.
Just find this group im 65 & starting to set up my trains again which I have had from the 70's upto now, got zero one mater & slave plus modules for locos so im looking for a group to join.

regards
Paul

End2end

Re: Hello

Postby End2end » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Welcome. I think you will enjoy it here on this forum. There are many of us with different modelling backgrounds and experiences. Some new in the hobby and some of us seem to have always been in this hobby since we were little!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi Paul. Welcome on board.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 am

Welcome aboard Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Paul, Welcome.
Zero One came and went, it was Hornby's own design which failed to recognise the emergence of an open standards system developed in America. You'll have to decide whether your going to be a Zero One aficionado who combs the market for surviving components, or put it on the evilbay to fund some modern day digital gear. My own layout is still firmly old school analogue, but I wired it to be easily converted, it's just the huge investment in decoders that stops me making the switch.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Hornby did try to get other manufacturers to make their systems to be comparable with theirs but only H&M decided to join them with their H&M5000. The other makes developed their own and as the expense of buying into such a system was huge back in those days, and some modellers had been greatly stung when buying into a system to find the manufacturer had gone bust or just pulled the plug (So they found themselves without access to decoders), the modelling public back then stopped buying into any of the train control systems and they all flopped one by one. Hornby eventually stopped selling their master controllers, but they did keep selling decoders and accessoried for them for over a decade so modellers didnt find themselves stranded.
Of all the systems out there at that time it was the Hornby system which H&M shared which was the most successful, while some of the competing systems having various issues with reliability. Fortunately Hornby got it right, but due to the stigma associated with stranded modellers who'd invested the equivalent of a few thousand pounds in today's money, most modellers stayed away from the concept altogether.
Due to the difficulties with non compatibility, when manufacturers decided to develop the prototypes for the new DCC systems we have today, they all agreed from the offset to all work to the same rules. To entice DC users to invest into DCC, most of the early systems also were able to run an unchipped loco on DC. While only some systems could share hand controllers and other accessories, all were made to be able to run each others loco decoders, which strangely, the manufacturer this time which was a latecomer into the DCC market, which wasn't fully compatible was Hornby! Very strange as they used to be the ones who were trying to enforce it from the offset, but to be fair, the ownership of Hornby had passed hands since those early days. Most things are compatible with Hornby but there can be issues with their first batches of decoders which only fully worked with Hornby controllers or so I was informed.
Back to the old Zero 1. This still has a hardcore of followers both in the UK and the USA. Of note, the USA Zero1 works on different wavelength frequency to UK versions due to different mains current the USA use.
The main issue I'm told with running old Zero 1's tends to be worn out keypads, though fortunately the Model Railway Electronics Group (I think it was them that sell them) do replacement parts for the keyboards to solve the problem. Zero 1 is probably at its best time to buy into because prices are low. Consider that one would have had to pay the same price for a decoder as the cost of a loco, and the command station was equivalent to a few thousand pounds in today's money, to get a Zero 1 with decoders for less then a three figure sum is amazing if you think about it.
An interesting point is the old ZTC controllers were made to run with the ability to use DCC and Zero 1 loco decoders so this opens up potential possibilities. I was going to buy one but ZTC had changed hands and were not in production so I bought into Lenz instead with my DCC.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Paul01

Postby Paul01 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 am

Merry Christmas all, thank you all for your comments & glad to be onboard.

regards
Paul

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”