Hello there

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
DaveMacLean

Hello there

Postby DaveMacLean » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi there.
I have just joined this forum today in the hope of gaining some old school "DC" wiring advice. I have a long and varied unfinished layout history in N, HO and OO scales and have now settled on OO. They have remained unfinished due to a lack of time and/or money or even to moving house.
I have watched multiple videos on YouTube and bought a number of books and pamphlets. They seem either too complicated for my brain or focused on DCC running with very little time given over to DC. I am the first to admit that electrics is my weakest subject, so I am keeping the layout VERY simple this time around in the hope that I might actually complete (as much as one can!) one for the first time! :shock:
Once I work out how to download/upload an image of the proposed layout I will get back on to the questions.
Cheers, Dave
Attachments
Shunting Yard 2.jpg

Dave

Re: Hello there

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Welcome aboard Dave

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Welcome on board, Dave

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:49 pm

While I do say not to be sceared of DCC, for your little layout plan, unless you want sound or lights, I'd go for DC and here is why...
If this was a prototype railway it would be the case of only one locomotive would be seen running at any one time, and even if you have an engine shed and loco in it, this can easily be isolated via a simple isolating railjoiner, wires and a switch.
The point indicates in yellow on your plan (The R610 short straight) is the area where you need apply power from your controller.
Simple plan. Simple to wire and it should be relatively easy to make.
I'm a fan of smallish layouts due to their portability though I must say I prefer an oval of track to an end to end, but having said that, I like your design. It looks like it will be fun to operate. The only thing I would do is to sacrifice one siding and make a run round loop instead...Though if one loco takes over from the next you won't get a loco trapped at the buffers as it is. In real life, such a track plan was used, but locos would shunt via ropes spread across from one line to the other, and even use capstans for shunting purposes. Horses were also used for shunting.

Welcome to the forum. :)
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Welcome Dave, I'd recommend that you wire up your layout as if it was going to be DCC, and modified any electrofrog points in the way suggested for DCC. Not only does it make it easier to switch to DCC later but the extra feeds overcome some of the long time bugbears of DC running. There's not actually a lot of difference between a well wired DC layout and a DCC one. The only inconvenience it will bring to DC is having to wire the tracks where locos may stand via an isolating switch.

John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

DaveMacLean

Postby DaveMacLean » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks for all the welcoming messages.
I have the controller connected at the position indicated. I have a simple circuit tester (it bridges the two rails) and, when each (insulfrog) point is in the correct orientation, all the sidings are getting power. Each siding is longer than the basic plan indicates.
Am I correct in thinking that there needs to be a common link/wire between each end of the layout to complete the circuit? IE, all the ends wired together as if it were an oval? See, I told you electricity wasn't my strong suit! Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Cheers, Dave

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 pm

If you are staying DC then it should work with one loco following the direction that the points are set without any other feeds. This is obviously 'novice set up' the problem that you may find is that the power (electric) is only going down the rails via the points making contact with each other, and a bit of dirt between them my cause a temporary failure.

You will find that other locos should sit in 'dead' sidings isolated by the points being set the other way.

DaveMacLean

Postby DaveMacLean » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks Dave. It hadn't occurred to me that it could simply be a dirty contact. I will check that out straight away.
Cheers, Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:46 pm

As long as you feed current to the toe end of the point (The toe end is the end with the single track) and the point blades are set to the right direction, the track should receive power. If it does not there is something wrong and needs looking at. If the point blades are set to a different direction then there should not be power if running with DC. You do not need a circuit as in an oval to make it all work, as an oval is electrically the same as a straight piece of track that has just been turned round in on itself.
As you may not be finding things easy electrically speaking, it is probably easier to stick with insulating frog points. Though electrofrog points are usually the best to use for small shunting layouts, insulating frog points are easier to understand for a beginner... Though the electrofrog principle isn't too difficult to learn should you want to give it a go.
Nearly all points designed for sectional track are the insulfrog type of point. With points designed for use with flexible track, there is normally a choice. Both sectional and flexible track systems can be mixed on the same layout if desired as long as the gauge and rail heights (The code) are the same.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

DaveMacLean

Postby DaveMacLean » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks to everyone for your previous advice/inputs.
While I was checking for and cleaning dirt from the tracks I became (more) aware that some of my points were not in the first flush of youth, and that I was probably just storing up future reliability problems for myself by keeping them. Also, by using exclusively insulfrog points, I was probably adding to those problems with 0-6-0 (of which I have many) locos stalling at lower speeds.
So, I have invested in a number of electrofrog points, followed the helpful wiring diagram on the packet, and had my first loco running today. Still a few little things to iron out (aren't there always?) but I'm on my way. Cheers

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”