Hello to you all

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
NanaB

Hello to you all

Postby NanaB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Hello to you all from a very new member,who at this time feels as if my head will pop,from reading advice books leaflets all about this very popular hobby.
Started out from(time to get rid of the wooden train set)to today buying a Hornby R1126 and getting the board ready to start.
So much to learn,and wow did not relize would need a second mortgage to perhaps put it all together.
I hope perhaps because you have all been in the same place,you could offer advice and be very patient if I ask questions too much.
I hope I've put this in the right section and if not perhaps someone would help.
Is there a section on starting out,or anything you perhaps might be helpful please direct me.
Thank you in advance.
NannaB

Bufferstop

Re: Hello to you all

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:41 pm

No that's just the right place to say hello. We are all having to get used to the prices, my best advice is look around the site, read what others are doing and ask plenty of questions, as they say the dumbest question is the one you didn't ask.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Welcome NanaB,

Ask away, the biggest problem is not even knowing the questions you
should be asking !! Mind you, most of us have been there at some time.

I'll look up what R1126 is to give me an idea of where you are starting
from. Yes it can be expensive, but by keeping expectations under control
it needn't be.

It sounds like it may be initially aimed at a small person and that makes a
difference as to recommendations.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi NanaB,

Had a look at the set, an interesting start into model railways as it's a Digital set
having 2 locomotives, a class 08 Diesel shunter and a 3F Jinty steam locomotive.
Unless you want to become highly sophisticated ignore the cries that the Hornby
Select is no good. I tend to use as my main systems and although it has severe
limitations in it's ability to extract the best from digital control it works !

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello and welcome, you have come to the right place, this forum is specifically for you. :D
Please ask anything you like and we will try to unravel the puzzle for you.
This hobby can absorb huge quantities of money, but only if you want/can afford lots of running stock and a huge layout, we all started on a small bit of chipboard (mine was 6ft x 4ft) :) Lots on here are still on a small layout (albeit they have 2 or 3 ! lol)
A simple layout can be built up on a shoestring and many threads on here are about how to do things on a tight budget.
You might find my website useful to help define what your aims are and what is involved with various levels detail/sophistication, have a look at the five categories in the guide tab (and the rest of the site) Lumsdonia guide
Then tell us what your plans are and ask about anything your unsure about. The more information you give us, the easier it is to give a more specific answer, so tell us a little more, like were you are (county/country), rough age, what size of space you have, room type (attic/loft/garage), era you would like to model, what you want (tunnels, building, bridges,dioramas etc)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi NanaB Welcome to the Forum.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Welcome aboard

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Welcome. Any questions, please ask away.
Though model railway prices are indeed high, there are ways round the hobby to enable one to enjoy to a tighter budget. In 00 gauge, there are a great many bargains to be had if one knows what works with what as one does not have to keep to the high prices of the new super detailed models to enjoy the hobby.
I've gone down an ultra cost saving route of modelling in 7mm narrow gauge which I use the cheapest locos from 00 gauge as donor locos to convert up a scale. While I may not save a lot if I buy a Smallbrook Studio body kit to do this, (Though I have also scratchbuilt my own cab to convert one loco so it was cheaper), where I do save is I can build myself little waggons for not much more then the price of a pair of wheels, so this gauge and scale starts to make sense.
There are many ways to cut costs in this hobby though. It all depends how much sacrifice one wants to make. It is possible to buy a toy trainset for £5 to £10 and work from there, but few of us go down that route as it may need a lot of work before it becomes a convincing model railway. Mind you, one of my 7mm narrow gauge waggons started life from a wagon out of one of these sets!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 am

NanaB wrote:Hello to you all from a very new member,who at this time feels as if my head will pop,from reading advice books leaflets all about this very popular hobby.

wow did not relize would need a second mortgage to perhaps put it all together.

It doesn't have to be, but while there are definitely cheaper and decidedly fun routes into railway modelling available they do tend to be more unconventional than the Hornby (or other OO scale firm) route.

I lean this way, but I am rather the Dr Frankenstein of the model railway world.

Chris.
Last edited by Emettman on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:37 am

Hi NanaB and welcome to the forum.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

NanaB

Postby NanaB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Thank you all so much.Really nice that you have took the time to reply to my post.
Nanna B

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”