Hi everyone

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
RICH

Hi everyone

Postby RICH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:08 am

Hi
My name is Richard a truck driver from South Wales and i had an idea of building a layout in the garage,probably won't be as elaborate or as fantastically detailed as you guys make just somewhere to re-live my childhood and play trains.
I was thinking of a layout about 8x8 and modeled on 1970s diesels that I saw on the Rhondda valley line as a child,I have three train sets from the 70s that I hope will be a good start,an original inter-city 125,a Hymek pulling 3 inter-city coaches (mk1 I think) and a steam freight set that I have no idea what it is.
So I will thank you all in advance as I have a million and one questions already and I will try not to be a nuisance!

Cheers,Richard.....

End2end

Re: Hi everyone

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 am

Hi Rich and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like your ready to roll once you've laid the track. :)
Just a couple of the usual well advised things to start.
The older track may be made of steel. Nowadays the track is made of superior Nickel silver conducting the power better and possibly keeping clean longer.
No doubt one of our more established members can explain exactly why. I put the NEW in New Railway Modellers. :lol:

And you may want to think about using more than one baseboard as 8x8 is very hard to move around, perhaps a central operating well with 4 baseboards making up the 8x8 size.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:27 am

Hi and welcome. Hymeks were brilliant locos. I was born slightly too late to remember them (Though I may have seen one or two from my pram! Actually my earliest railway memory was from my pram years and the loco was a Western. My mum would take me in the pram in the guards van to the next stop a few miles further up the line to go shopping).
For me it was primarily the 37's and 47's and the triple headed cut down 03's and the 08's that were most places, and later we saw the two trains a day HST's, but these were late evening or early morning, so it was only in the summer evening I'd see them as a kiddie. Just before bed time!
Lots of DMU's passed here in the fringes of West Wales. As did the military trains and the many coal trains and various goods vans along with the 82ton pallet vans to be offloaded at Carmarthen Junction. So much came through in the 1970's to '80's.
I prefer the 1981-1983 time zone as it was after the individual head codes were displayed, so is easier to model, and as a youngster I remember the trains well. Was before the "Silly" colours arrived with the exclusive, and then sectorization liveries. Much preferred B.R. blue, especially the small logo livery. It was smart even when trains were covered in dirt.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:37 am

End2end wrote:Hi Rich and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like your ready to roll once you've laid the track. :)
Just a couple of the usual well advised things to start.
The older track may be made of steel. Nowadays the track is made of superior Nickel silver conducting the power better and possibly keeping clean longer.
No doubt one of our more established members can explain exactly why. I put the NEW in New Railway Modellers. :lol:

And you may want to think about using more than one baseboard as 8x8 is very hard to move around, perhaps a central operating well with 4 baseboards making up the 8x8 size.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end

I dont say keeping clean longer as I found they were about the same. Nickel silver however, was superior for damp garages where I had my layout, as I had a thin layer of rust to deal with before running with steel if the mists had come.
Nickel silver has the advantage of being all weather track, and also, being a softer material then steel, is easier to cut and solder.
Steel does have one good thing going for it. Older Triang and Triang/Hornby (And just after), had magnadhesion, which meant if one used steel track, one could pull an extra two coaches up inclines, which at first puzzled me when I changed to N/S as to why my locos could only manage four coaches up my incline! :lol:

I believe the best thing to do with steel track is to demote it to the sidings. Buy nickel silver track for the mainline use. This is an economical approach. Then in future times as funds permit, the sidings can later be converted to N/S if one desires. This makes use of what you have and brings the best track to where the trains need it the most.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:13 pm

Welcome aboard Richard

RICH

Postby RICH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome,I think it wise to use new track and use the old locos and rolling stock,as for the baseboard it will be a permanent feature in the garage.

Cheers Richard.....

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:25 am

As long as you take care with which new track to buy and use, all should be fine with new track and old loco mix.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:19 am

RICH wrote:I have a million and one questions already and I will try not to be a nuisance!

Welcome Rich

Questions and answers is what this forum is all about. we all have questions, no matter how far down the track you are with modelling, you will make mistakes, hopefully someone might help you avoid many.
Most questions have been asked before and you may find what you are looking for in older threads, but even if you can't be bothered to look back though pages of threads, there's a search and no harm asking the same questions again.
Hope you make use of this forum and make friends through here.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”