Newbie from Notts

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Ivory

Newbie from Notts

Postby Ivory » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi guys,
Being recently retired I now have the time and space to follow my dream. I have looked intensively at both analogue and DCC, and can find merits in both. I have however, decided to go down the DCC route.
Whilst finally biting the bullet and writing to you guys, I thought I would ask the most basic of questions , ( and offer my apologies in advance) .
My electrical knowledge is growing slowly but I can't get my head around why there is not a permanent short when running metal wheeled wagons on metal axles, after all we have a positive and negative bus wire to each track side and it looks like we're placing a metal bar across the track ... Sorry guys but what am I missing..

Yours in confusion Ray

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Newbie from Notts

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi there, welcome to the forum. Not a silly question at all, no silly questions here (apart from the one you didn't ask). The answer is wheels are electrically isolated from the axle on either one or both sides with a bit of plastic, if you look carefully where the axle joins the back of the wheel you can usually see it.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi. Welcome on board.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:10 am

Hi and welcome aboard, no apologies needed for your question, as that is what this forum is all about!
The wheels on an engine are similarly isolated from each other to allow pick up of power from both rails.
An intro to electrics and controls can be found on my website Lumsdonia Controls Guide
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:16 am

Hi and welcome to the forum Ivory.
Just to add to others posts, you can actually remove one wheel from an axle, add a "pick up spring" and take power from the track.
Obviously to utilise this power you'd need 2 axles picking up from each track seperatly for the + and - and you need to bridge the plastic bush that sits inside the wheel/axle aperture.
I do it with a liquid "circuit drawing" pen.
Here's a pic of a wheel dismantled.
wheelset.jpg
wheelset.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 275 times

You can see the small black plastic bush inside the axle hole.
The tool you see on the right hand side is a DCC Concepts brass back to back gauge (to keep the wheels the proper distance apart on the axle to fit on the track).
BUY ONE! :mrgreen: They are invaluable and can be bought in 00 and N (and maybe other scales?).
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Ivory

Postby Ivory » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks guys,
For both your expertise and patience. The wheel gauge I can see would have many uses for resetting wheel distances. Which as answered another unasked question about some of my rolling stock squeaking on some curves . Again thanks guys...

Ray

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 am

Welcome aboard Ray

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”