Hi from me and a few of my ideas.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
lee2017

Re: Hi from me and a few of my ideas.

Postby lee2017 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Thank You ever so much for all the info, tips and hints!

I certainly do have lots to consider, this is not something I intend to rush into buying stock for. I have been using 'any-rail' and spending time playing around in that with different ideas. I think also what I need to do is get myself to a local Model Railway dealer and have a look at some 'n' gauge stock in the flesh, so that I can see just how small they are before I make a final decision with regards to '00' gauge because I hear you regards to space being the biggest issue.

Having looked at some old images and track plans for copley hill it does have some rather long sheds, and I have been tossing with the idea of making one of the sheds a 'secret tunnel' which takes trains down to a lower level which could wind up being a fiddle yard. I think would want to do it with without using a helix if that is possible, however at this early stage gradients and helix's are something that I Haven't thought a lot about the logistics of. These are things that I would need to seek advice about, because the last thing I would want to do is build a double tier layout and the trains not be able to get up the gradient, or a helix take up to much space.

Copley hill loco depot. - If one of those sheds could be a tunnel to a lower tier, that might work well.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:45 am

"space being the biggest issue."

Here one on the big things is going to be "length of train". Every extra carriage desired on your longest train adds nearly a foot (BR Mk1 10.5" over buffers) to both platform length and the same in any storage / fiddle yard /carriage siding / passing loop.

Traditionally an overbridge is a better way to take one or more lines "off-scene". One or more adequately tall buildings can also serve, and would be more natural than a whole train disappearing into an engine shed.

In 10 x 8 I don't think you really have room to add a helix with tolerable radii (20", 22.5") but I will try to have a look with Anyrail.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

lee2017

Postby lee2017 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:17 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote: The main limitation with a space of 10 x 8 would be train lengths, even a 5 coach train with loco is six feet long, but only half that in "N".

Jim

Emettman wrote:"space being the biggest issue."

Here one on the big things is going to be "length of train". Every extra carriage desired on your longest train adds nearly a foot (BR Mk1 10.5" over buffers) to both platform length and the same in any storage / fiddle yard /carriage siding / passing loop.

As I have never really seen anything in 'n' gauge, I decided to have a trip down to the local model railway shop about 3 miles away to check out for myself the size of 'n' gauge in the flesh, and to try and finalize my decision regards to what scale I want to build in If I'm honest I was fairly surprised at hows small 'N' gauge stuff is. Having owned an intercity 125 train-set with an oval layout as a kid, I thought I was familiar with the sizes, but I was quite taken back by how big 'but beautiful' some of the '00' gauge steam locos were. Even more of a surprise to me was just how long something as small as a class 158 sprinter with only two carriages was in '00' gauge - so guys I hear you regards to the length of trains.

Having said this, from what I have seen today, I think If I'm being realistic with myself 'n' gauge is just going to be too small for my hands to be able to manage. It has to be '00' gauge and I'm going to have to make that compromise 'space wise' and try to build creatively whilst trying to stay true to the prototype as I can. If only I could somehow squeeze another 6ft and have a 16ft long layout hmmm.

Traditionally an overbridge is a better way to take one or more lines "off-scene". One or more adequately tall buildings can also serve, and would be more natural than a whole train disappearing into an engine shed.

I agree, now you say it, it does sound a little unrealistic a whole train disappearing into an engine shed, so I agree that an over-bridge or a tall building does sound more realistic.

In 10 x 8 I don't think you really have room to add a helix with tolerable radii (20", 22.5") but I will try to have a look with Anyrail.

I feel a helix would be too space hungry, I think that it would possibly be more space efficient getting rails off scene to a lower level by making creative use of scenery as you suggested using tall buildings or an over-bridge.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Now Lee, you can put your plans and building etc. into the Personal Layouts section. Look forward to see the progress.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”