Yet another Hello

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
atnas666

Yet another Hello

Postby atnas666 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi guys,
Not really sure what say here. So
Im Oz im 31 from Guildford,
I always used to love playing/breaking my late dads train set. So guess what here i am starting off from scratch

Any locals about while im here

Dave

Re: Yet another Hello

Postby Dave » Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Welcome aboard Oz

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 29, 2017 10:19 pm

Reformed Wreckers welcome here Oz.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

atnas666

Postby atnas666 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Any suggestion on where to start oh and I like detail

(00 size)

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 pm

Hello and welcome, atnas666.

We have almost every type of model railway bod here, so it's a pretty broad field.

If starting from scratch you have a panoply of gauges, scales and concepts to pick from.
(not everyone defaults to a 6x4 tailchaser, or a GWR branch terminus)

As the Dr Frankenstein of the model railway world, I find starting from broken trains of various kinds an interesting niche. Economical, too.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

shunter68

Postby shunter68 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:17 am

Hello Oz welcome aboard. :wink:

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 30, 2017 10:16 am

Hi Oz and welcome to the forum from another Surrey-ite. :D

Why not get hold of at least a copy of the Bachmann and Hornby catalogues to see whats available?
I must admit after returning to the hobby Bachmann has became the stalewart of my rolling stock rather than Hornby. I just find them more attractive plus Hornby doesn't really do much in the way of rolling stock for the location I am modelling, rather the generic GWR.
Bachmann on the other hand has a St. Blazey brake van. My exact modelling location. :) Plus some great weathered china clay rolling stock.

Also why not indulge in a coupe of magazines? Once you get passed all the adverising there really is some gems of ideas in them. :idea:
BRM (British railway modelling)
Hornby Magazine
Railway Modellor
Model Rail
et al.

Probably best to go to somewhere like WHSMITHS to see the full range of magazines available and to have a look through to see which magazines take your fancy.

Plus one of the other major decisions now is wether to run on DC or DCC. That can only be a personal decision.
Me? I'm a learning modellor so chose the (what I think) easier path of DCC for train control.
Everything else will run on DC including point control, static lighting etc.

And one final tip. Why not get yourself down to a toy/train fair to see what you can pick up.
http://srptoyfairs1.co.uk/ - No affiliation but I've been to all the Sussex shows as a customer.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

atnas666

Postby atnas666 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:43 am

End2end wrote:Hi Oz and welcome to the forum from another Surrey-ite. :D

Why not get hold of at least a copy of the Bachmann and Hornby catalogues to see whats available?
I must admit after returning to the hobby Bachmann has became the stalewart of my rolling stock rather than Hornby. I just find them more attractive plus Hornby doesn't really do much in the way of rolling stock for the location I am modelling, rather the generic GWR.
Bachmann on the other hand has a St. Blazey brake van. My exact modelling location. :) Plus some great weathered china clay rolling stock.

Also why not indulge in a coupe of magazines? Once you get passed all the adverising there really is some gems of ideas in them. :idea:
BRM (British railway modelling)
Hornby Magazine
Railway Modellor
Model Rail
et al.

Probably best to go to somewhere like WHSMITHS to see the full range of magazines available and to have a look through to see which magazines take your fancy.

Plus one of the other major decisions now is wether to run on DC or DCC. That can only be a personal decision.
Me? I'm a learning modellor so chose the (what I think) easier path of DCC for train control.
Everything else will run on DC including point control, static lighting etc.

And one final tip. Why not get yourself down to a toy/train fair to see what you can pick up.
http://srptoyfairs1.co.uk/ - No affiliation but I've been to all the Sussex shows as a customer.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end

May be u can suggest a club u go to or nose around what u got? :p

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 30, 2017 12:21 pm

I am a solo modellor rather than a member of a club and I don't really buy many magazines, the last being January's Model Rail.
Once I found this NRM site I never needed either except for the odd freebie or in-depth look at a layout for inspiration. :mrgreen:
I do take a lot of pictures of the real world just garnering ideas and the like.
Last weekend, Robertsbridge Junction on the Rother Valley Railway after visiting the model train show across the road. The weekend before was Rye Harbour, Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and Folkstone and the weekend before Canal boats and lock gates on the Wey at Chalford(?) Lock.
I may never use them but they do give me a personal stock of photos I can reference for modelling.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end

EDIT: I have just checked here - http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events
And there is an upcoming show in June near-ish you down the A31.
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/14 ... Exhibition
Alresford - Festival of Toy Trains
Sat 17th June 2017
Perins School, Pound Hill, Alresford, Hampshire SO24 9BS

OPENING TIMES: 10.30am-4.30pm
ADMISSION: Adults £6.00 Children £2.00 Family £14.00

25th Annual Show featuring 20 vintage and modern Toy Train Layouts, incl Hornby 0 Gauge, Hornby Dublo 2 and 3 Rail, Tri-ang 00 + Minic Motorway, LEGO, Tri-ang TT, Tri-ang Big Big, Gauge One outside , Trix, , Japanese Tinplate , Clockwork Gauge 1, Lone Star Treble 0 Lectric, Tomy, Brio, Kitmaster, Airfix 00 Gauge.80+Sales Tables selling old and new trains BBQ, Live Music, Real Ale, Real Steam Trains nearby on the Watercress Line with full service between Alresford and Alton

Looks like a packed show full of many different gauges.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

atnas666

Postby atnas666 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:54 pm

End2end wrote:I am a solo modellor rather than a member of a club and I don't really buy many magazines, the last being January's Model Rail.
Once I found this NRM site I never needed either except for the odd freebie or in-depth look at a layout for inspiration. :mrgreen:
I do take a lot of pictures of the real world just garnering ideas and the like.
Last weekend, Robertsbridge Junction on the Rother Valley Railway after visiting the model train show across the road. The weekend before was Rye Harbour, Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway and Folkstone and the weekend before Canal boats and lock gates on the Wey at Chalford(?) Lock.
I may never use them but they do give me a personal stock of photos I can reference for modelling.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end

EDIT: I have just checked here - http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events
And there is an upcoming show in June near-ish you down the A31.
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/14 ... Exhibition
Alresford - Festival of Toy Trains
Sat 17th June 2017
Perins School, Pound Hill, Alresford, Hampshire SO24 9BS

OPENING TIMES: 10.30am-4.30pm
ADMISSION: Adults £6.00 Children £2.00 Family £14.00

25th Annual Show featuring 20 vintage and modern Toy Train Layouts, incl Hornby 0 Gauge, Hornby Dublo 2 and 3 Rail, Tri-ang 00 + Minic Motorway, LEGO, Tri-ang TT, Tri-ang Big Big, Gauge One outside , Trix, , Japanese Tinplate , Clockwork Gauge 1, Lone Star Treble 0 Lectric, Tomy, Brio, Kitmaster, Airfix 00 Gauge.80+Sales Tables selling old and new trains BBQ, Live Music, Real Ale, Real Steam Trains nearby on the Watercress Line with full service between Alresford and Alton

Looks like a packed show full of many different gauges.
Thanks
End2end

r you going to thesE?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 31, 2017 11:30 pm

Guys, can I ask you not to quote the whole of the previous post just to reply to it. If we did it all the time we'd soon double the size(and cost) of our storage space
If you want to quote just part of a post either click the " button then delete the unwanted stuff or copy just the bit you want to quote straight from the post.
If your reaction to that was "how ?" you must have grown up with Windows. The method is even older than the PC but it still works
-Highlight the text you want to copy directly in the post
-Press Ctrl/C
-Start your reply, click the Quote button above the editor
-Put the cursor inbetween the quote and end quote tags and press Ctrl/V
Thanks
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:55 am

Sadly I won't be able to make the show as I am always busy on Saturdays.
Truth be told, with my own layout it's basically everything posted on my layout thread.... tracks on a board at the moment.
What it doesn't show is the mess lying on top of it until I can move it into another position. :lol:
If you click on the links in my sig below you can see the 3 main sections of my build so far.
Welcome
Planning
Building
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi Oz. Welcome on board

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”