Hello

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Del123

Hello

Postby Del123 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:49 am

Hi,
I have been interested in 'all things railways' for a number of years now and have decided to plunge in and start modeling a new layout. I figured an inglenook probably would be a good start for me. I have researched into the modeling aspect and I think I'm swinging towards n gauge? That being said, I am quietly drawn towards OO gauge too! My ultimate aim is to learn enough in order to make a much larger layout in the future.

I actually noe nothing about points - which is the best? DC or DCC. I have bought books and subscribed to RM magazine but the information out there is mind boggling!

I would welcome any help and suggestions.

I am particularly looking forward to modeling buildings. I have downloaded and built a few card models but I do think ( after seeing other models) plastic card/ scratch building might be better in terms of authenticity.

Regards Darren

Emettman

Re: Hello

Postby Emettman » Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 am

Hello and welcome, Darren!
There's enough of us here that you should be able to find information and advice on just about any model railway topic.

My first suggestion, if you haven't already done it, would be to get yourself to a couple of model railway exhibitions, and see what different styles and scales can offer.

It's a big field, even if you start to project limits in terms of space, time, money etc.
Me, I lean to small, cheap and weird, (and then there's my model railways...)

Shunting, for an inglenook in N? I'd lean to OO, but I may well have the N gauge experts here shouting that I'm hopelessly out of date.
(in N, and in DCC I am.)

How many different scales have you considered, or are aware of?
Anything from N to 0-16.5 might suit 4ft by 1ft, or a similar area.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon May 01, 2017 8:21 pm

What size is available. My layout is in 7mm narrow gauge (0-16.5) and I have a loop in a space of 2ft x 7ft. 00 gauge you really need 3ft wide or preferably more. The wider your 180° corner will be the more that runs round it.
N gauge. 2ft is a fine width to turn in. I believe you can go narrower a slight bit.
The narrow gauge of 4mm scale (009) is ideal but model locomotives are not cheap. Runs on the same track width of N gauge.
Just to clarify, 0-16.5 runs on the same track width as 00 gauge.
Hope this all helps and does not confuse.
You also have the micro option of Z gauge or T gauge. T is especially small. Z is just a tad smaller then N.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum Darren. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon May 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Hello Darren and welcome

What sort of railway/gauge? Very subjective to personal preference, I think that one is down to you, but gauge is sometimes steered by available space, if you only want shunting, go big, if you want long rakes and sweeping bends in vast areas of scenery, go small! (Unless you have a 40ft shed, in which case its not a problem! :D )
Points - I think the general consensus is "Live" frog for least problems and best running, with switched frogs if your up to it!
DC vs DCC - very debated! I think their is little between them, both have advantages, steer clear of cheap rheostat controllers and you will obtain fine control, whole range of engine stock to choose from in DC. DCC is slightly dearer for controllers and needs chipped Engines, but the tipping point, that is the decider, is if you want sound or PC control.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Del123

Postby Del123 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Thank you all for your greetings and very constructive replies.

Chris, good suggestion about visiting a number of railways exhibitions! My interest in railways gained momento after recently having a 12 month membership on the Seven Valley heritage railway.

Considering which gauge to use, I'm ..for some reason edging towards 'n' l like the idea of modeling in a smaller form, that being said, 'am aware that a bigger scale offers more detailed products.

I have been experimenting with the Scarm software and might possibly try Anyrail. My main plan will be to start with a small inglenook layout and use this as a learning tool. My sense of humour is second to none and I would like to add things out of the ordinary in my layout to create an interesting scene!

I look forward to my journey ahead and I look forward being an active member on this site.

Kind regards
Darren

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue May 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Del123 wrote:...for some reason edging towards 'n' l like the idea of modeling in a smaller form, that being said, 'am aware that a bigger scale offers more detailed products.

That might leave OO9 in the frame, leaning towards the "light railway" end. If 12 coach expresses are your thing, N it is.
The length of a model train depends on the train being modelled more even than the scale!
A 14xx with an autocoach in OO is, roughly, a Prairie and 2-3 coaches in N

I have been experimenting with the Scarm software and might possibly try Anyrail.

I found Anyrail considerably easier to pick up, but understand SCARM can do more once learned, especially scenically.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”