Hello from East Sussex

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Zeffico

Hello from East Sussex

Postby Zeffico » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Hello all,

Firstly thank you for accepting my request to join the forum. This looks like I've come to the right place for information.

Recently I've been making 'realistic' (I would use that losely) models of steam & diesel engines out of Lego but its starting to become more costly and the track is very restricting so I'm now looking at starting a fresh with OO.

I've always been interested in trains and had numerous sets when I was a youngster (Lima, Hornby and Tri-ang) my parents bought me 20+ years ago.

I'm now looking for a longer term project with challenges so I'm now looking at building my own layout with DCC in mind. Thinking L shape arrangement with the possibility to extend it in the future with a branch line-esque feeling to it (Southern/BR).

To start me off I'm going to treat myself to the Bachmann Branchline 30-165 The Thanet Flyer train set as I really like the look of the set along with it being DCC Ready. It will also act as a nice template too for my layout and sizing.

Again thanks for accepting my request and look forward to chatting and getting help from you for my future layout.

TimberSurf

Re: Hello from East Sussex

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Welcome Zeffico
We already have an "L" shaped Southern on here for you to look at!
If you thought Lego was expensive, once you get into it, I doubt this will be cheaper! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Zeffico

Postby Zeffico » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Thank you for your welcome Timbersurf.

That's great to hear, any chance you could point in in the right direction for that layout?

With the Lego I was ordering quite a few parts from the US so I was getting hit with customs fee/carrier fees that made things worse. Also I can't achieve much in terms of a layout in the 'Lego' scale hence falling back to OO.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Timbersurf shouts "Attention please, would Barry please raise his hand and make himself know to Zeffico"

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50514
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum Zeffico. :)
Funny enough I found myself at Alton on the Watercress line on Sunday albeit at the end of the day so only saw the loco run around then take the train South. Although it is just inside Hampshire rather than East Sussex it still carries the old South Eastern green and yellow(ish) livery on all the buildings etc. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Zeffico

Postby Zeffico » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks for the doing the shout forum thing and the link Timbersurf. Much appreciated.

End2end, thank you for the welcome. Its been many years since I've been to the Watercress Line but I know what you mean. There's something about the green and yellow livery of the loco's and buildings that works so well. Interestingly they use to have Class N 2-6-0 there which I've just bought as my starter present to get myself back into OO modelling.

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Welcome aboard

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Zeffico wrote:Also I can't achieve much in terms of a layout in the 'Lego' scale hence falling back to OO.

Hello and Welcome Seffico...
Well, if you do have a leaning to unusual scales (or non-scales) it doesn't have to be a default back to OO

Some of have been known to try odd things...
Even very odd things.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi Zeffico, welcome to the forum I see some of the guys have been introducing themselves already. As you can probably tell all interests welcomed here.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:29 pm

I've just added some of the pictures I took at Alton for your perusal /reference /inspiration.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=51170#p627998
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Zeffico

Postby Zeffico » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks again all for the warm welcome. Really appreciate it.

Endtoend - Thank you for posting the pictures, brings back memories of travelling on that line.

Emettman - I did consider other scales but as I have old OO stock already I thought it would be nice to continue with it. Also be good to get my Dad's Midland Pullman (Triang) running again.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Zeffico wrote:Emettman - I did consider other scales but as I have old OO stock already I thought it would be nice to continue with it. Also be good to get my Dad's Midland Pullman (Triang) running again.

Good enough reasons!
A fair number seem just to default to OO without any.
Oldish stock: not going to want Peco 75 with those, I suspect. Code 100 would be safer.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Zeffico

Postby Zeffico » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Good enough reasons!
A fair number seem just to default to OO without any.
Oldish stock: not going to want Peco 75 with those, I suspect. Code 100 would be safer.

Chris

Thanks for the tip. After doing some research last night I think Peco Code 100 it is.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”