howdo from colchester essex

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
teapottony

howdo from colchester essex

Postby teapottony » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm

what started out as an innocent conversation to an old mate about model train set ups I am now the (proud) owner of what seems like a mile and half of track and numerous boxes of engines and carriages, really dont now where to start not owning any trains before and feeling a bit daunted, thought about setting it up in spare bedroom but after laying half of it out on floor now looking at the loft. looking forward to making all the landscaping and buildings from scratch rather than buying ready made models. where do i start laying out tack and power points etc. will be reading through a lot of posts but will no doubt picking your brains as i start. but for now off to get a cuppa and do some reading. tony

End2end

Re: howdo from colchester essex

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:53 pm

teapottony wrote:but for now off to get a cuppa and do some reading. tony

Best way to start in my opinion! :D (He say's witha fresh cuppa and forum reading!)
And welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am

Yes, hit the teapot, Tony.

Hello and welcome.

Rule 1: "It's my railway and I'll have it the way I want it"
All good advice here (and good it is, as a rule) only ranks as thought and suggestion.

Lofts have plus and minus factors which need to be weighed: the extra space doesn't always make for a "win".

A set of questions, a bit like a dating agency questionnaire, can help find your likely "best match" for layout location and style.
For example, what locos do you have?

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

teapottony

Postby teapottony » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Hornby Tank Locomotive - No.895 - Hornby R2669Loco-U01 Class 08 Shunter 08513 Hornby R1069 Old Smoky with passenger cars . (also have the eurostar with carraiges but not intending to keep these) Hornby R6397-LN-02 Cartic with 8 Skaledale cars fuel tankers pack various coal wagons railroad train pack breakdown pack along with a few more flat trailers wagons and carraiges, i intend to go with more of the same type locomotives, looking at 3 sheets of 8x4 in a u shape design for the main deck to start of with no idea of layout yet as still learning whats what :roll:

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Welcome to the gang.

There will be plenty of advice offered and so I will only offer 1 piece at the moment and that is, if you intend to secure your track make sure that it can be lifted easily, you never know when you will decide to make changes.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:35 am

Welcome aboard Tony

teapottony wrote:what started out as an innocent conversation

I seam to recall something like that as well
really dont now where to start

We all start off knowing nothing.

Jump on in and enjoy the ride

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:04 am

teapottony wrote:..looking at 3 sheets of 8x4 in a u shape design for the main deck to start of with no idea of layout yet as still learning whats what :roll:

A bias to freight interests?
Large express locos, as often happen to be the starting point, make definite demands on layout design.
Working the other way around and a finding a preferred track design and then matching loco power to it is almost certainly better, but less common.
A scattering of smallish locos is always needed so that's generally a happier starting point.

You're not terribly tight on space, then! Lots of things would be possible.
If you care to, putting a post in "Track/Layout Design " will get you suggestions.
Describing the intended room, with door and window locations, can be very helpful here, as well as any ideas about what you do/don't want.

There are general good rules about design but another rule is
"if you're going to break a rule, do it good and hard."

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 am

Emettman wrote:A bias to freight interests?
Large express locos, as often happen to be the starting point, make definite demands on layout design.

The class 08 already mentioned would often take half a dozen wagons from the main yard to a private yard. Short vans and 16t minerals are less than 4" in length.

Something like Geoff's (Dad-1) St Oval is a brilliant way to start: Link

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:56 pm

My layout is ideally suited to shunters, DMUs, and small panniers.

Which is why I've managed to accrue a couple of Westerns, classes 58, 47, 37, a 9F, a full rake of Mk2 and 2b...

Not doing too well, am I

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”