I tried to register but then nothing seemed to happen.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Bufferstop

I tried to register but then nothing seemed to happen.

Post by Bufferstop »

Apologies if this has happened to you. We have to take precautions to prevent network bots and would be spammers using our site for their anti-social and even illegal activities. If you have tried to register you will have met our test for a person or a machine. If you get past that stage your registration will be looked at by an admin. From this point onward it is sometimes impossible, with the tools at our disposal, to separate the good guys from the bad.

If you are a good guy I repeat our apology, you need to make some changes, what they are you will have to work out for yourself, any further help from us would also aid the bad guy.

If you are a bad guy, unless you are exceedingly lucky you are going to have to make many more changes and work hard over time to earn the right to get past our filter. It will hardly be worth your effort, so bye, bye.

If it's all just a game to you, and you think you can win, why waste your time here, apply to GCHQ or your national cyber-security body for a job. Trying to pass their test will be a real challenge of your IT skills, with a well paid job at the end of it. Good luck.

John W.

aka Bufferstop

January 2017

PS Added 17 June 17
There's one piece of advice I can give to help you get accepted, -for the registration process don't use a VPN or an anonymous relay. We are offering you a chance to publish on our website, we have to have some way of finding you, just in case! Once you've been accepted you can make your posts as anonymous or hidden from outsiders as you like, we'll only use the details from when you registered in the most serious of circumstances.

Added 28/2/20
PS I've been seeing a number of people who would pass my itchy whisker test listed on our blacklist site. I can only reiterate previous advice, don't use methods that obscure your true IP address when you send your registration request. Don't send it from a computer at school, uni, the public library or an internet cafe, it might be in regular use by "someone of interest to the security services"
For the few moments you make your request, it is, as Capt Kirk used to say "Defence shields Down"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bufferstop

Re: I tried to register but then nothing seemed to happen.

Post by Bufferstop »

25th july 2019,
We are currently getting multiple attempted bogus registrations, it's the start of the school hols and they have nothing better to do. Apologies if your genuine attempt gets deleted along with the junk. We do look at everyone to apply some real intelligence, rather than artificial stupidity to the process, but sometimes it's a very close call.

John W
aka Bufferstop.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Mon 29th. We've just thrown a new spanner into the works, so genuine registrations should go through in hours now.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I've bumped this topic as an increasing number of new registrations are coming from anonymised addresses. If you normally do anything to obscure your IP address, please turn it off when you try to register. Because of the strength of UK libel laws, and because you will be able to post almost anything for a short while, we have to, as a minimum, be able to know your service provider. We do this from your IP address. You can use your security measures again as soon as you've registered.
PS If you should post anything untoward, our users will let us know in very short time.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Bufferstop wrote:Bump! See firsr post
Bump
Bump