Model Railway TV Development Programme -

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Model Railway TV Development Programme -

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:08 am

Now advertising on the Hattons website http://www.ehattons.com/NewsDetail.aspx?id=96 and as a result is starting to attract comment on the other forums. Not attracting much positive comment there either (surprise surprise).

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:22 pm

beckacray wrote:.....Our development team have thought about the issues you have all raised and are in the process of working with the canals and rivers trust to discuss the potential issues of our routes. We are exploring several different options and are investigating them in depth. Rebecca
This confuses me, unless plans are to use the towpaths. most of which would not be suitable for laying track on, without a level baseboard. It would also cause disruption for the mooring of boats, walkers, cyclists and anglers, and not forgetting where footpaths cross over the canal with a crossover bridge, and possible tunnels some without a towpath..
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:29 pm

As a matter of interest, does anyone know how much track Peco produces in a year, I don't think Hornby would have much clue as to what they produce given their current state of disarray
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Firefly16 wrote:No, please DON'T. I haven't forgotten the way the BBC wasted licence payers' money on car batteries and laying miles of 00 gauge track between Barnstaple and Bideford back in 2009.

While of course no one would dream of depriving you of your opinion, Firefly, do please bear in mind before you sound off that some of us were involved in making that programme and were proud of the result.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:49 am

We all like a "heroic failure" eh!

To be fair to Firefly he went on to explain his initial post in much more detail, covering what the rest of us were saying... He only said what many of us thought about May's programme, nice idea but ill thought through. I assume that you were one of the assistants but not an organiser B-M, as such you can indeed be proud of your achievement, but if I was one of those who organised it I most certainly wouldn't be proud of it, it was ill thought through and poorly organised.

All we were trying to do is point out to the OP that it's not a simple thing to do, as May's programme proves, and TBH is not worth the effort it would take to do it properly, if indeed it is possible to do it at all (which I don't believe it is).

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:46 am

It occurs to me that 160 real miles is over 12000 in OO scale. Even real-world locomotives are pressured doing that distance.
The Trans-Siberian railway is less than half of that at about 5700 miles.

Also, along with other hobbies, such as computer gaming, TV tends to treat these, and their supporters as mildy amusing nerds who should really be watching football and driving badly. Highly insulting to those of us who take those passtimes bloody seriously.

I'm not holding my breath for this outfit to treat us any differently.

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:49 am

OK, so I may have been a tad pessimistic in my last post, but traditionally, these types of programmes come off pretty badly. However, I've been thinking...

I know you are merely an assistant, and have very little - if any - influence with the programme's format, but if I was involved, I would turn the format somewhat on its head.

I'm assuming your producer has received a brief much like "Go do one of those James May-type things", and I'm also assuming he has limited interest in the hobby as a whole (unfortunate, but highly probable). All he wants to do is make a 47-minute cliffhanger programme (1 hour with adverts I expect) with this arbitrary 160-mile target as the holy grail. Left to its own devices, it will be the usual handycam footage of things going wrong, long faces from the hard-pushed team, and infill shots of chavs saying how cool it is and going down memory lane mentioning Hornby a lot. Frankly, not good enough.

Why not break the mold and do a properly researched piece that actually does the hobby justice?

If it was up to me, I would still retain the underlying mission of the epic 160-mile run, but have it as a backdrop.
You WILL encounter problems, but use the opportunity to integrate them into the programme with advice as how to avoid a similar downfall on normal layouts.

So, the train shudders to a halt, and the problem is discovered to be bad track connections. Oh dear, but the team will overcome, of course. Now is time for a filler on how NOT to have this issue in your loft layout, of on your tabletop, hosted by someone who actually knows what they are talking about. You have the obvious Pete Waterman, but if his fees are too high, I'm sure there are many other famous faces whose secret hobby is model railways (scale in these bits would be largely irrelevant).

- You'll also have locomotive failures, so a bit about loco maintenance.
- Proper track laying methods as well, something your 160-mile track doesn't have the opportunity for.

You'll hopefully end up with that epic mission - fail or succeed - but interlaced with proper hobbyists and advice, so it will be of REAL interest, not only to the casual viewer (you know - morons), but also to those who know far more than your producer probably does. Those viewers ready to pound the programme into dust if it turns out like the normal fare will be amazed. And of course, you'd be stupid not to include the history of British model railways (from Hornby's point of view, of course).

Everyone's a winner, and you'll be contracted to do a follow-up.

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 pm

I think a program in the format of one of the old Bob Symes model railway documentaries would be a better idea, highlighting the hobby in its normal context rather than a challenge, also a presenter who knows the hobby is a must not a generic off the shelf BBC blue Peter, countryfile or panel show presenter.

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:39 pm

Indeed presenters can make or break any TV programme. I shall coin a phrase: The Michael Palin effect, Michael Palin obviously being a good effect.
Last edited by NakatsuHime on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:40 pm

NakatsuHime wrote:It occurs to me that 160 real miles is over 12000 in OO scale.

Forget scale, it's not relevant, we are only concerned about the mechanics of the model, not what scale it is, after all it's just an electric motor on wheels on a track, not a scale representation of a steam loco.. The only thing is whether the loco can travel (a real) 160 miles. The answer is that over the years many have done, both HD and Triang did "records" that I am pretty sure beat 160 miles by some margin back in the 60s, the difference was that they were done in controlled conditions indoors. There is the issue in a nutshell.

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:43 pm

I disagree there.

I'm in doubt many would actually care about proof that an A4 could make it in scale mileage to the Moon and back, but may be more interested to see if it could make the scale run from London to Edinburgh.

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:46 pm

NakatsuHime wrote:Indeed presenters can make or break any TV programme. I shall coin a phrase: The Michael Palin effect, Michael Palin obviously being a good effect.

Who himself would be a good candidate for the show after watching his excellent great railway journeys episode about going to kyle of lochalsh. xD

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:08 pm

NakatsuHime wrote:Why not break the mold and do a properly researched piece that actually does the hobby justice?

They're an independent, that's not what they've been commissioned to do.

NakatsuHime wrote:... Now is time for a filler on how NOT to have this issue in your loft layout, of on your tabletop, ...- You'll also have locomotive failures, so a bit about loco maintenance....- Proper track laying methods as well, something your 160-mile track doesn't have the opportunity for

Sorry, even I'm flicking through to see if there's anything more interesting on Dave at this point.

Given the total lack of response from the OP I suspect this has been kicked into touch.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Sadly, I imagine the production company will forge ahead and turn out the usual dross with a couple of talking heads and some model railway nerds who wouldn't look out if place in the 1970s, that is, totally unrepresentative of the real world, but adhering to the usual media stereotypes.

So you'll still be flicking but the rest of us will be shown something even less interesting, and it COULD be interesting, even with your naysaying.

I wonder Top Gear is on?

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:21 pm

NakatsuHime wrote:Sadly, I imagine the production company will forge ahead and turn out the usual dross with a couple of talking heads and some model railway nerds who wouldn't look out if place in the 1970s, that is, totally unrepresentative of the real world, but adhering to the usual media stereotypes.

Except that it's the same production company responsible for The Great British Bake-off, and their demographics have been pretty solid.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”