Model Railway TV Development Programme -

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
beckacray

Model Railway TV Development Programme -

Postby beckacray » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Hello all,

My name is Rebecca and I am a Junior Researcher at Love Productions in London, the makers of “The Great British Bake Off”.

I am working on a new development about model railways and the construction of the longest model train track ever built - around 160 miles. This is a very exciting adventure project which we hope will start in Liverpool and end up in Goole.

We are eager to speak to all passionate model train enthusiasts and hope to gage their interest. We are keen to speak to people of all ages who are happy to share their love and knowledge for our fabulous new model train project. I am hoping that some of you might be interested or can put us in contact with potential enthusiastic contributors or even just help us to spread the word.

It would be great to chat to someone about this further and give some more information.

If you wish to, give me a call on 0207 067 4820 and ask for Rebecca or alternatively email me on rebecca.cray@loveproductions.co.uk
OR just reply to this thread and we can go from there.

Thank you.

Rebecca

Firefly16

Re: Model Railway TV Development Programme -

Postby Firefly16 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:10 pm

No, please DON'T. I haven't forgotten the way the BBC wasted licence payers' money on car batteries and laying miles of 00 gauge track between Barnstaple and Bideford back in 2009.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:01 am

Rebecca
Watch the two programmes that James May did trying to run just 10 miles of track! Model railway equipment isn't designed to do that job, as the poor guys from Germany found out with their failed gearboxes. What you are proposing might be feasible in model engineering, say 5" gauge or bigger, but even then the locomotives would have to be designed for prolonged running, even if tackled in a relay style operation with each loco doing a mile or two, it would be very different to doing a few laps of a running track then sending out a fresh loco. Basically you can have fantastic feats of endurance running on an indoor circuit under favourable conditions of cleanliness and climate, or you can go outdoors and do a few laps of the garden before some servicing is required.

To do the job properly your equipment needs to be designed for that task, here are some links to model engineering clubs
http://www.modeleng.org/ukclubs.htm
http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Clubs.html
or just Google "model engineering clubs" for quite a good list.

wishing you good luck
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:45 am

beckacray wrote:Hello all,

My name is Rebecca and I am a Junior Researcher at Love Productions in London, the makers of “The Great British Bake Off”.

I am working on a new development about model railways and the construction of the longest model train track ever built - around 160 miles. This is a very exciting adventure project which we hope will start in Liverpool and end up in Goole.

We are eager to speak to all passionate model train enthusiasts and hope to gage their interest. We are keen to speak to people of all ages who are happy to share their love and knowledge for our fabulous new model train project. I am hoping that some of you might be interested or can put us in contact with potential enthusiastic contributors or even just help us to spread the word.

It would be great to chat to someone about this further and give some more information.

If you wish to, give me a call on 0207 067 4820 and ask for Rebecca or alternatively email me on rebecca.cray@loveproductions.co.uk
OR just reply to this thread and we can go from there.

Thank you.

Rebecca

Having watched "Trainspotting Live" I think that UK television producers should steer clear of Railway Enthusiasm (real or model) as you really don't understand the hobby and have a habit of using mainstream presenters who are totally unsuitable. Nip out to a model shop and buy yourself a few good videos and see how real enthusiasts put together good railway related stuff.

jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:59 am

beckacray wrote:Hello all,

I am working on a new development about model railways and the construction of the longest model train track ever built - around 160 miles. This is a very exciting adventure project

Racing against relays of people blowing a ping-pong ball along with a straw?

Whatever it is, it is too far removed from both my idea of model railways and my idea of "exciting"
Throw enough resources at it and it can be done. For what purpose except that of creating an artificial "record"?

Television has a very poor record for treating model railways and railway modellers well.
Default to cliché seems to be the norm.

Sorry, Rebecca, not in the slightest bit interested.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:06 pm

On a slightly more positive note...

You may have noticed James May's attemt mentioned earlier over a much smaller distance... The reason it didn't work was simple, he used models which were designed for indoor use and tried to use them outside, over any reasonable distance it won't work as they are not designed for such use. OO and HO scale models have done the distance you mention but only indoors and strictly controlled environments.

If you really want to to long distance then you need to go larger, I'd suggest G scale. Then you run into several issues...

Cost - the trains and track will cost an absolute fortune for that sort of distance.

Reliability - I'm not sure any RTR (ready to run) stock of that scale would be able to do it, not to mention the track...

Power - as James found out power is a major issue with voltage drop...

Weather - especially in the area you mention which is renound for wet weather!

Route - James was lucky to have an old railway which had been converted into a cycleway so had a decent surface for most of the route, even then he had issues at "level crossings". Over the route you mention there is no such continuous path...

TBH whilst it sounds interesting as an exercise I can't see it happening in Real Life, there are just too many issues to overcome...

I would, however, be interested to hear your reply to the above and see if those issues had been thought of and how you intend to overcome them?

(Please reply, otherwise i may start to think this is just a wind up!)

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:23 pm

b308 wrote:If you really want to to long distance then you need to go larger, I'd suggest G scale. Then you run into several issues...

Cost - the trains and track will cost an absolute fortune for that sort of distance.

Reliability - I'm not sure any RTR (ready to run) stock of that scale would be able to do it, not to mention the track...

Power - as James found out power is a major issue with voltage drop...

Weather - especially in the area you mention which is renound for wet weather!
Whilst this venture wouldn't interest me at all, I am sure that quality G track would be up to the challenge, especially as some are joined with screws as well as rail joiners. However I think as previously posted in this thread it will be a vert big ask. If you do have a go, good luck. :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:48 pm

A fine 1/76 scale replica of one of the giants of the iron road. Every detail accurate, Mazak perfect, a beautiful finish. There it is in the display case, brand new, all ready to go, with years of happy, pleasure giving life ahead of it. But what's this? A television producer has come into the shop and bought it. What is going on? Someone has laid miniature tracks down in the street, the kind of street you and I would not want to live in. And every so often, someone has put down motor car batteries to provide the current to make the little locomotive go. See what happens next. It has already reached the first gap where the tiny track has disappeared and the batteries have vanished too. And now someone is stamping on the little locomotive. What a terrible end! And all because someone in television had a bright idea.
Media People: Know your limits!
(With acknowledgements to Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse and apologies to all Northerners)

beckacray

Postby beckacray » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies. I posted on this forum so I could gauge interest and learn from you all.

Our development team have thought about the issues you have all raised and are in the process of working with the canals and rivers trust to discuss the potential issues of our routes. We are exploring several different options and are investigating them in depth.

We have the support of the HRCA: Hornby Railway Collectors' Assocation with this ambitious venture and are keen to talk with anyone who is interested and enthusiastic about model railways.

Thank you again for your positive and negative replies they are a great help and I assure this is not a wind up.

Rebecca

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:03 pm

Look, Rebecca, in all seriousness, forget this project. Of far greater and wider interest - and influence perhaps, would be a documentary exploring the possibility of reopening the whole of what used to be called the Waverley Route, the line that once provided an alternative link between Carlisle and Edinburgh, part of which, rebuilt by the Scottish Government, is already in operation again as the Borders Railway. This could be followed up with a second similar programme devoted to providing a North-South Wales link wholly within the borders of that country. Reaching a potentially wider audience both programmes would be of particular relevance to the current political and economic scene, paricularly with regard to the state of our steel industry.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks for replying Rebecca...

If you are really looking at it seriously then I might suggest that it may be done on a "relay" basis rather than in one go.

So do a mile or two at a time, with an overnight break at the end of each section for repairs/maintenance. I do not feel it is possible to do it in one go, both from a derailment or engine failure point of view.

I like the HRCA's optimism and whilst the old Hornby Dublo had a good reputation in it's time I still don't think that it could cope with the sorts of conditions it would encounter, the early 60s Triang locos would probably prove more robust in those conditions... "Steamroller" wheels and simple motor/gear set up. Though I'd still look bigger if I were you.

The route you mention, from my experience of canal towpaths locally, would be even less suitable than ordinary pavements, though less busy and more continuous!

dynax

Postby dynax » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi Rebecca, for what you want to do will be impossible, the main reason would be the availability of track, you will need in excess of 280,000 pieces plus all the joiners needed, this alone would cost in excess of a million, and i doubt you would get donations from the manufacturers for this, it's nice to have ambition but sometimes that ends up in dreamland,

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:52 pm

If you're trying to do it as a continuous run rather than a relay you're going to need 300,000 yards of track. I don't know how many years-worth of production that is for Peco or whichever Chinese factory Hornby use now, but I hope you've got your order in early.

I have to admit it's not as crazy as your colleagues at Princess Productions' idea to helicopter the families of serving soldiers into Afghanistan to say a surprise hello to them.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:11 pm

beckacray wrote:...I am working on a new development about model railways and the construction of the longest model train track ever built - around 160 miles...

Quite apart from the cost of all that track is the length of time it would take to run a model train over it. In small scale like OO and even O or G, the track has to be well laid for the model to maintain something close to 1mph. If you can find or have built a model mechanically robust and reliable enough to achieve that 1mph figure continuously over that distance, that is a whole week operating 24 hours a day to run the model the length of it: come rain or shine, and through the hours of darkness.

Are you aware that a purpose designed museum/teaching exhibit for model railway is underway? I'd have a chat to these folks. http://www.aimrec.co.uk/

Stated aims:

"To preserve for posterity some of the finest model railways created in all scales, over the last 60 years, many of which are regarded as Works of Art. There will be some 20 permanent layouts operating along with several visiting layouts that will change every three months to constantly refresh the visitor experience.
To preserve and archive the history of manufacturing of model railway items from clockwork to today’s digital control systems.
To build a representation of York station from the 1930s in O gauge.
Create a 200 foot long HO layout, depicting North America, enabling 100 box car trains to be run in a realistic setting.
Create a German/French border railway for our European visitors.
Around the 2.5 acre site will be a multi-gauge live steam railway attraction.
To provide facilities to educate school children, undergraduates and Open University students regarding the social and industrial impact that railways played in Victorian Britain and of their spreading throughout the world.
The south facing wall of the building will show in both text and pictorial displays the life of Ashford works during the First World War, where the first tanks in the world were constructed and the Second World War where the works were involved in building large gun barrels for the navy. During both hostilities the work force at Ashford increased from 3,000 to over 6,000 men and women.
For the centre to be sustainable the floor space will be divided into the past, the present and the future. The future will contain a fun multi-media element in order to keep the children returning to the centre."

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 am

Bigmet wrote:If you can find or have built a model mechanically robust and reliable enough to achieve that 1mph figure continuously over that distance,"

I let a few of my brain cells toy with that.
Nothing that looked like a model railway engine emerged, even in G.
Engineering pick-ups to work that long in those conditions seemed to demand massive enlargement, just for a start.
Lubrication for axles, crankpins...

Not nice.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”