Hello

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
N-Spotter

Hello

Postby N-Spotter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:38 am

Hello everyone,

I've just got back into the world of model trains for the first time since i was a youngster.

Back then it was a few Hornby 00 gauge trainsets "Midnight Freight" and "Intercity 225".
Now i've decided to come back with N gauge, simply because you can get a lot more in the same area! :mrgreen:

Recently picked up the Graham Farish "Diesel Fuels" trainset with a class 37 and a few tankers.
Have been going a bit mad picking up other bits from eBay mostly but am now thinking of getting a proper layout set up so i can run all of these loco's and rolling stock.

Got a baseboard which is 4' x 2.5' and am now trying to work out a reasonable layout plan in the space.

Well, i'm sure i'll be back looking for advice so bye for now.

Cheers

Steve

Bufferstop

Re: Hello

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:50 am

Welcome aboard Steve, Graham Farish stuff has been going through a bit of an update in the last couple of years, with the emphasis on better engineered mechanisms.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

N-Spotter

Postby N-Spotter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Welcome aboard Steve, Graham Farish stuff has been going through a bit of an update in the last couple of years, with the emphasis on better engineered mechanisms.
John W
aka Bufferstop.

Thanks John.

Have picked up quite a few Graham Farish bits from eBay recently.
As well as the Class 37 which came with the trainset, i've now got a couple of Class 91's in Intercity 225 livery, a Class 47 in Intercity, 2 Class 08's (one Intercity and one Railfreight) and a Class 220 Voyager in Virgin livery (Maiden Voyager).

All seem to be fairly decent runners but it's quickly become very boring trying to run things round the single loop which came with the trainset. :mrgreen:

Trying to think up a basic layout at the moment which will possibly be extended further down the line.

Picked up a Peco setrack starter pack to expand the possibilities a little but it soon became apparent after buying the Voyager that although it runs on the 9" first radius curves it doesn't like them too much. So i've recently bought some third and fourth radius curves which it likes much better.

I'm planning on a double loop mainline (3rd & 4th Radius) with a couple of crossovers but now i'm thinking of sidings and other options.
Ideally there would be a station at the top of the layout with sidings and shunting possibilities at the bottom of the loops.

As i say, this needs to fit in the 4' x 2.5' baseboard i currently have, although i'm looking at the possibility of extending the length to 9' further down the line which would give the straight sections of the mainline a better run out! :mrgreen:

craw607

Postby craw607 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:34 pm

hello and welcome to the forum.
I am thinking of going n gauge after having 00 gauge and wondering have you
thought of using flexi-track which may allow you more options
for your size of base board.
John

N-Spotter

Postby N-Spotter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:15 pm

craw607 wrote:hello and welcome to the forum.
I am thinking of going n gauge after having 00 gauge and wondering have you
thought of using flexi-track which may allow you more options
for your size of base board.
John

I think flexi-track is an option but as this is my first proper layout i was trying to keep things fairly simple in regards to planning and laying things down. Will be posting up some plans from SCARM soon to get more advice.

I think where i'm struggling at the moment is the configuration of the sidings i want at the bottom of the layout.
I have a a couple of class 08 shunters so i'd like something that aids the operation rather than a single point coming off the mainline and splitting into 2-3 sidings all next to each other. My rolling stock is pretty much all Peco Railfreight box vans (smaller and bigger) as well as a few long Graham Farish fuel tankers at the minute.

I'm going for a modern era layout from early 90's to the present day.

craw607

Postby craw607 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm

I feel you will like scarm once you get the hang of it that is what
I drew mine on that is as far as I have got.
Mine was done in peco code55 found more points options etc.
John

N-Spotter

Postby N-Spotter » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 am

craw607 wrote:I feel you will like scarm once you get the hang of it that is what
I drew mine on that is as far as I have got.
Mine was done in peco code55 found more points options etc.
John

Yes, i think SCARM is pretty handy. :mrgreen:
My trackwork is all Peco code 80 at the moment as i'm led to believe this gives more flexibility if using locos / stock that is a variety of ages.
As i've picked up a fair amount off eBay and probably will in the future I was thinking that would be the best approach.

I have considered maybe using Streamline code 80 but it looks like the clearance at curves could be a problem if i tried to use the Setrack radii.

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”