Saying Hello

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
R.Daneel

Saying Hello

Postby R.Daneel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:40 am

I've been a lurker here for quite some time and so I thought that I'd better say hello.

Lets see, I grew up near Woking, Surrey in the 60's and fortunately the "Train Bridge" wasn't too far away for a 9-10 year to walk/bike to.

I LOVED being on the bridge as a West Country Class hauled train thundered down the track, billowing steam and soot. Interspersed with the steam were the Warships and EMU's.

In my teens my interest waned, however in my young adulthood (ie I was working and had some spare change), I'd but a Hornby/Mainline/GMR engine and/or coaches.

I moved to the states (California) half a live time ago and it is now time to bring those engines to life. Its amazing how the birth of a grandson stokes the fires. So my mission at the moment is to convert the 25+ year old engines to DCC to show my grandson the grandeur of the British Rail fleet of engines and rolling stock.

One of my additional goals is to obtain those trains that I saw as a youngser... How do I do that???

I found my old "The Observers Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain" at my mum and dads house last year :), and as every schoolboy did, the engines had been underlined.

I have to thank those of you that provide assistance to the "newbies", and hopefully I would be asking dumba$$ questions too frequently.

Steve.

Bufferstop

Re: Saying Hello

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:47 am

Welcome along for the ride Steve. I'm sure that there are enough ex spotters on here to put names and numbers to the trains you saw back then. You can probably locate the spots from where you observed on Google Earth, that will help enormously.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”