Hi guys

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Andy79
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi guys

Postby Andy79 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 am

As mentioned in another thread I have been here before but can't remember any of my details, Anyway, I'm Andy and I live in Tredegar - S.Wales.
No layout yet but a garden one is being planned :D
Last edited by Andy79 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet
Posts: 8462
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Hi guys

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:00 am

Andy79 wrote:As mentioned in another threat...

I like your attitude, what exactly are you threatening? The layout to knock all others into a cocked hat? :wink:

What sort of trains in garden? Having done this with OO in the past and had great fun, I might still be doing it, but since a house move to what I thought would be an ideal location, the local wildlife in the woodland over the garden fence promptly attacked the track and made it impractical. I now have an idea to counter this, using control fence gear to 'power' the track when trains aren't running on it. But first I have to finish the indoor layout.

Andy79
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 pm

Re: Hi guys

Postby Andy79 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:24 am

Bigmet wrote:
Andy79 wrote:As mentioned in another threat...

I like your attitude, what exactly are you threatening? The layout to knock all others into a cocked hat? :wink:

What sort of trains in garden? Having done this with OO in the past and had great fun, I might still be doing it, but since a house move to what I thought would be an ideal location, the local wildlife in the woodland over the garden fence promptly attacked the track and made it impractical. I now have an idea to counter this, using control fence gear to 'power' the track when trains aren't running on it. But first I have to finish the indoor layout.


Uh oh, I should have checked I spelt it right, DOH lol

OO, I would love an indoor one but I have no room, our cat seems to keep the rodent population down but we do have the problem of other cats spraying in the garden so I will be trying to keep them out with those anti cat noise things, hopefully keep ours off it as well lol

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4926
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: Hi guys

Postby Mountain » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:15 pm

It is an exciting plan.

Lack of indoor space? There are ways around that. The garden is one of them. The only downside is it is a long term project so needs careful thought, and like there are many ways to construct an indoor railway, an outdoor railway is much te same in that there are many ways to build one. I would consider the sturdier longer lasting ways myself.
I soon learned that what looks like a gentle slope from above ends up being close to a 1 in 4 at track level, so be aware of the importance of checking gradients do not end up being impractically steep. Go for level or near level if possible, and a dry shed or place to keep the control equipment in is a must.

User avatar
captrees
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:45 pm
Location: Kalamunda WA.

Re: Hi guys

Postby captrees » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:16 am

Andy79 wrote:,,,,and I live in Tredegar - S.Wales


My great grandfather was a steam engine fitter from Tredegar. Must be in the blood....

User avatar
Bufferstop
Posts: 12982
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: Bottom end of N. Warks line

Re: Hi guys

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:23 am

I'd suggest DCC and left on 24/7, should cure the cat spraying problem.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

User avatar
Flashbang
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: SE United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Hi guys

Postby Flashbang » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:40 pm

Andy79 wrote: <SNIP>
.....we do have the problem of other cats spraying in the garden so I will be trying to keep them out with those anti cat noise things, hopefully keep ours off it as well lol

I purchased three anti cat ultra sonic solar recharged devices, as our rear garden was (Still is!) a toilet for all the neighbourhood cats. They just don't work, in fact one cat was seen spraying over one of the devices! The best anti cat device is IMO..... a dog.
Someone suggest to me a some while ago that getting Lion wee or their Droppings (Cant remember which?), which you spread around and the cats then think there is a large cat in the garden and keep out! Never tried it though. :) :)

For me the largest problem with a OO garden layout would be the continual maintenance of plant life to stop the tracks/track bed becoming engulfed in unwanted vegetation! :o
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

User avatar
glencairn
Posts: 4392
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Both sides of the Border

Re: Hi guys

Postby glencairn » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:01 pm

Flashbang wrote:Someone suggest to me a some while ago that getting Lion then think there is a large cat in the garden and keep out! Never tried it though. :) :)



A little misquote --

Xivulo_resize.jpg


Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bigmet
Posts: 8462
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Hi guys

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Flashbang wrote:,,, The best anti cat device is IMO..... a dog...

Grey squirrels are even better:
Available free and in plentiful supply.
No training required.
No barking.
No feeding.
No vet's bills.
No need to walk.
No need for affection.
No need to pick up droppings.
No persistent bad smells in the house.
Very entertaining while they spend hours trying to get into a squirrel proof bird feeder.

Suicidally brave. Even if injured they still go for it. Our first such when we moved in was 'Stumpy' missing much of a tail and a foreleg, and with a back leg that had been broken and healed. (Renamed 'Stumpina' after a few years acquaintance, having been observed mating; it lived on seven years from first sighting so its injuries didn't affect longevity.) Much to our surprise - never having lived close to squirrels before - when another (human) family moved in nearby a few months later, this specimen took on these new neighbour's cat and gave it a good chewing one summer's evening, the racket was unbelievable.

Similar events have been observed with subsequent cat/squirrel combinations. Squirrel chewed cats need no second telling, they stay away. And if a squirrel happens to buy the farm, then Fox services have always been very swift with the funeral arrangements; and there are many more squirrels than cats so there's always another to resume the fray. Cat owners tend not to renew their cat when the one that got chewed and came home all tatty is retired. What's not to like?

Andy79
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 pm

Re: Hi guys

Postby Andy79 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:21 pm

captrees wrote:
Andy79 wrote:,,,,and I live in Tredegar - S.Wales


My great grandfather was a steam engine fitter from Tredegar. Must be in the blood....


I'm Merthyr lad originally but my good lady is a Tredegar girl :D :D

Andy79
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 pm

Re: Hi guys

Postby Andy79 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:23 pm

Bigmet wrote:
Flashbang wrote:,,, The best anti cat device is IMO..... a dog...

Grey squirrels are even better:
Available free and in plentiful supply.
No training required.
No barking.
No feeding.
No vet's bills.
No need to walk.
No need for affection.
No need to pick up droppings.
No persistent bad smells in the house.
Very entertaining while they spend hours trying to get into a squirrel proof bird feeder.

Suicidally brave. Even if injured they still go for it. Our first such when we moved in was 'Stumpy' missing much of a tail and a foreleg, and with a back leg that had been broken and healed. (Renamed 'Stumpina' after a few years acquaintance, having been observed mating; it lived on seven years from first sighting so its injuries didn't affect longevity.) Much to our surprise - never having lived close to squirrels before - when another (human) family moved in nearby a few months later, this specimen took on these new neighbour's cat and gave it a good chewing one summer's evening, the racket was unbelievable.

Similar events have been observed with subsequent cat/squirrel combinations. Squirrel chewed cats need no second telling, they stay away. And if a squirrel happens to buy the farm, then Fox services have always been very swift with the funeral arrangements; and there are many more squirrels than cats so there's always another to resume the fray. Cat owners tend not to renew their cat when the one that got chewed and came home all tatty is retired. What's not to like?


I need to get some squirrels lol, our Lab is too soft :D :D

Andy79
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 pm

Re: Hi guys

Postby Andy79 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Flashbang wrote:
Andy79 wrote: <SNIP>
.....we do have the problem of other cats spraying in the garden so I will be trying to keep them out with those anti cat noise things, hopefully keep ours off it as well lol

I purchased three anti cat ultra sonic solar recharged devices, as our rear garden was (Still is!) a toilet for all the neighbourhood cats. They just don't work, in fact one cat was seen spraying over one of the devices! The best anti cat device is IMO..... a dog.
Someone suggest to me a some while ago that getting Lion wee or their Droppings (Cant remember which?), which you spread around and the cats then think there is a large cat in the garden and keep out! Never tried it though. :) :)

For me the largest problem with a OO garden layout would be the continual maintenance of plant life to stop the tracks/track bed becoming engulfed in unwanted vegetation! :o


I will figure something, I will be putting down some anti weed sheeting so hopefully will hold the weeds back for a few years.


Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests