Hello from Each Lancashire

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
End2end

Re: Hello from Each Lancashire

Postby End2end » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Nattcrawler wrote: so a 2-6-2 loco is 2 bogie fronts, 6 running wheels and 2 bogie rear?

Yup that's it exactly. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 pm

End2end wrote:
Nattcrawler wrote: so a 2-6-2 loco is 2 bogie fronts, 6 running wheels and 2 bogie rear?

Yup that's it exactly. :D
Thanks
End2end

Ha thanks buddy! wow that is a beut! I just got myself my second loco! Well I say myself it is an early birthday gift from my mother! Its a Late BR 08 Diesel.

So looking forward to that coming! :)

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:00 pm

That looks ripe for adding a driver and some see through plastic for windows. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm

End2end wrote:That looks ripe for adding a driver and some see through plastic for windows. :D
Thanks
End2end

Ha i know! i cant wait till it comes! I am going to add some people in to the back of my MR 895 too.

I was thinking about weathering and i know its a bit off yet but how do people weather the locos?

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Latest addition to my loco family has arrived!

Tested and she runs sublime!

Ripe for interior lighting and DCC eventually! :D

More to come :D

Do people do progress threads on here?

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Yep, start a "my layout" thread
and fix the title if you meant East! lol
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Yep, start a "my layout" thread in Personal Layouts - Planning
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Yep, start a "my layout" thread in Personal Layouts - Planning

AH jeez i just noticed that! haha!

Thanks for the info :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:22 pm

It should have a lovely counterbalance weight in the cab which raises the rear hook. The design is such that one can do some lovely shunting with it, though it may only work well if using the wider type couplings, as the coupling hooks on the opposing vehicle maybe too centrally mounted to work on some modern stock with small couplings.
The loco couples and uncouples with the counter balance weight by making it stop or go suddenly. It is quite effective if done right.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Mountain wrote:It should have a lovely counterbalance weight in the cab which raises the rear hook. The design is such that one can do some lovely shunting with it, though it may only work well if using the wider type couplings, as the coupling hooks on the opposing vehicle maybe too centrally mounted to work on some modern stock with small couplings.
The loco couples and uncouples with the counter balance weight by making it stop or go suddenly. It is quite effective if done right.

I tried to work out what that bar was far inside, although I think the counterweight may be missing as it doesn't seam to move very well.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:11 am

The counterweight is a small metal bar with a tiny round weight built I to the end which sticks upright in the cab and should easily be visible through the cab windows. The body is easy to unclip to remove it though go easy in case you may break the body as they are getting on a bit. The one I used to have was my third loco and I had a free limited edition wagon with it (Pugh and Co.). I bought it somewhere in 1979-1980 and it cost me around £6.50 back then, so was about six months of saving along with birthdays and Christmas money collected.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Mountain wrote:The counterweight is a small metal bar with a tiny round weight built I to the end which sticks upright in the cab and should easily be visible through the cab windows. The body is easy to unclip to remove it though go easy in case you may break the body as they are getting on a bit. The one I used to have was my third loco and I had a free limited edition wagon with it (Pugh and Co.). I bought it somewhere in 1979-1980 and it cost me around £6.50 back then, so was about six months of saving along with birthdays and Christmas money collected.

Ah cool, so they have been around a while then eh. Yeah, I've found the counterweight although it isn't that great so might need a bit of something to lubricate it or I might change it to Kadee couplings. I have been watching a few videos of people that use these and they seem to be different in design to mine. For example, I have seen some with the yellow hazard markings front and back and also some with push fit tanks at the front which mine does not have. Also, my body seems to just unclip, whereas others have screws at the front and back. When I was inspecting it properly, I can't find a single Hornby mark on it either.. is it possible that people could have made copies of these sort of like knock-offs? I mean I love the loco don't get me wrong, but you can tell its second hand.

Is there any way to sort of restore/liven them back up? my wheels have seen better days and if anything seems a little loose. when I try to move the centre wheels, for example, the front and back wheels skew quite a bit.

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 pm

This is the inside of mine.

This is the inside of one I am looking at on youtube, I understand the one on youtube is DCC but surely it isn't that different?

It just seems that either mine is a really old model, or it isn't a Hornby model, any thoughts?

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Yours is a pretty old model, the centre wheelset being flange-less and the old style motor being the give away. That one in YouTube is a much more recent model, that also happens to have a DCC chip installed.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Nattcrawler

Postby Nattcrawler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:Yours is a pretty old model, the centre wheelset being flange-less and the old style motor being the give away. That one in YouTube is a much more recent model, that also happens to have a DCC chip installed.

Yeah, i thought mine could have just been an older model. It has seen better days but I guess its second hand so you have to expect it in some cases. Do you think there is any way I can breathe some new life into the old girl?

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”