Hello from Cwmbran Wales

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
swiftbeam

Hello from Cwmbran Wales

Postby swiftbeam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am

Hi Guys,

I had been on another forum until lsat night went some things went wrong and I was basically pushed out the forum :o

So I thought I'd come hear and hopefully find a friendly bunch :D

Rob

End2end

Re: Hello from Cwmbran Wales

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am

Welcome to the forum swiftbeam. :)
That's RMweb for you. :lol: Bunch of obsessive nutters! :shock: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 am

Welcome

I got banned years ago. I dared to say flash photography isn't dangerous at model railway exhibitions.

Nice modelling, bad vibes

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one :D

I got pushed out because I commented on a video of a Hornby SWS being badly handled.
Apparently it turned out it was the moderator that was doing the 'work'. He didn't like my comment!

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 pm

Welcome aboard

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:20 pm

You will find you have to go a long way to upset us on here. Our really big No-Nos are bullying, politics and trade advertising. We run a profanity checker and are a bit ambivalent about circumventing it, just try to moderate your own writings. Argument or "discussion" is welcomed if it is done politely with due deference. If you stray over the line we'll let you know, frequently it's the ordinary members who'll let you know before "the team" steps in. Only those who deliberately set out to flout the rules, or fail to heed gentle warnings get booted out.

Official bit over welcome to the forum

John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Welcome aboard swiftbeam,

We are know as the friendly forum ...... most of the time.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi. I'm also in Wales but quite a bit further west from you. I think you will find this one a good one. Do you have a preferred scale and gauge? I have a love for 0-16.5 but I also have 00.
Welcome to this site. :)
Bufferstop mentioned trade advertising which sparked off a funny event where I was told off once for trade advertising.... I dont remember which site I was on. Could have been this site or another.
I'd made a fictitious advert for my model railway.. :lol: I thought it was well impressive to invent a town and gave the managing director of my railway company a mansion house address at the fictitious town. The problem was I made it sound too convincing and I was told off as if I really had a company.. :lol: I didnt even think it could be mistaken for a real place as in reality neither the town or the mansion house exist. But it was a Welsh sounding address...

There are some good people on this site. I'm sure you will get on fine.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Welcome on board, swiftbeam

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

swiftbeam

Postby swiftbeam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Mountain wrote:Hi. I'm also in Wales but quite a bit further west from you. I think you will find this one a good one. Do you have a preferred scale and gauge? I have a love for 0-16.5 but I also have 00.
Welcome to this site. :)
Bufferstop mentioned trade advertising which sparked off a funny event where I was told off once for trade advertising.... I dont remember which site I was on. Could have been this site or another.
I'd made a fictitious advert for my model railway.. :lol: I thought it was well impressive to invent a town and gave the managing director of my railway company a mansion house address at the fictitious town. The problem was I made it sound too convincing and I was told off as if I really had a company.. :lol: I didnt even think it could be mistaken for a real place as in reality neither the town or the mansion house exist. But it was a Welsh sounding address...

There are some good people on this site. I'm sure you will get on fine.

Hello Mountain,

My main scale is 16mm, I have been in that scale for 10 years (there is a story behind that) and my other scale is Japanese N, LOTS of Japanese N! At the mo I'm back into some 00 as a distraction from the 16mm! I've also been involved with electric 5" and still have No2 of a batch of 10 BR class 14's I made some years back. :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 am

I did have a brief venture into SM32 via a Mamod loco kit. It leaked steam like mad from a few places. When I eventually got rid of the rubber seals and soldered the pipes in instead I cured the problem. I then sold it as I had by then decided to concentrate in 00 at the time. (I realised that funds would only stretch to either 00 or SM32, and back then it was the great outdoors that attracted me, so I did some experiments in 00 outdoors instead. (Actually my very first experiment was in 0-16.5 by scratchbuilding a cab on a Hornby saddle tank and it pulled some Jif wagons. This was converted back to 00 by using a Triang cab, and then years later it was cabless waiting to be converted back to 0-16.5 as I'd taken up the scale again, and here it is! (Its not finished yet though as I have to make some buffer/couplings for it though the bufferbeams have been extended ready for them).

I have also tried N gauge and later tried H0e (009).

I'd love a 5" gauge, though I dont have the funds. I know battery powered locos by Maxitrack are reasonably priced, but it is well over my budget at the moment.
Attachments
IMG_20170417_174332.jpg

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Croeso swiftbeam,
You have now joined a great bunch of friendly peeps, you will enjoy your time on here and I am sure you have lots to share with us.
I am now worried about the comments in this thread having run several "Adverts" like viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52354&p=640802&hilit=lumsdonia#p640802 in the past! :o
We tend to only offer positive criticism on here and anything negative is usually done as tongue in cheek :lol: like above!
(we will see if I get banned now? lol)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Welcome / Terms And Conditions / Guest Book”