Re: I must stop spending!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
ofouroloco

Postby ofouroloco » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:12 am

In the past 11 years of enjoying this great hobby I would have spent about 10,000 Quid, I went through a stage of building, demolishing and rebuilding layouts in various gauges and nationalities, because of this I have very little to show for the money spent, that does not worry me in the least as the knowledge I got of world railways is priceless, my current layout will be my last, I have a love for small locos and short trains many of which are Hornby 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 steam locos that have been converted to DCC, so yes I have to stop spending or risk having my wife pack my suitcases and have them waiting on the front doorstep.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Hi ofouroloco,

I suppose that's what comes from not knowing exactly what you like and want in model railways.
I started and it was Only going to be BR blue diesels with a southern/western slant. Then found
that Freight was what interested me most and for the real zenith of rail borne freight I needed
to go steam ......... I also found shunting much more fun than running around in continuous
layouts. I suppose I could have saved a small fortune !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Apart from a couple of purchases (LNER P2, BR Standard 8, Class 15 & 17), from a certain Scouse box-shifter, not a lot...

The nearest good model shops being a 45 minute bus/cycle ride away doesn't help...
Having said that, I managed to find some model kits (a couple of them rather rare) in a couple of local charity shops recently.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:53 am

Having a weekend away with the wife's family & escaped for some quiet time to the local model shop - got an electrofrog point & GM point motor to have a play with

Have to say was really surprised that the majority of train packs and locos had their boxes really badly sun bleached! I know it's what's inside that matters but still

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:25 am

While in Nottingham today, I just happened to be passing through Hockley, so I called into a certain model shop on Heathcote Street...
Around 20 minutes later I left, carrying a Gaugemaster CDU, some vehicles, and various scenic products, including a Gaugemaster grassmat for a new project.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:52 am

Quiet week this week, a few packets if fish plates, insulated and metal, 6 surface mounted point motors and two decoders.
I decided a revamp of the goods yard was required so up with the old and the guys in the dayglow boiler suits are busy laying track :D
This will mean I have to install a few more point switches into the control panel, a total of 40, but with cross overs that 50 sets of Efrog points, 3 boxes of flexi track, locos, rolling stock, controllers Etc ----HOW MUCH :?: :?:
Tim
aka Forfarian

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Just gone loco and bought a couple of J94 from the Scouse shop, used bargains of course. Time will tell if its money well spent !
Tim
aka Forfarian

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Just forked out £60 for a new-ish Hornby 9F.

I'm pleased with it. Can't really justify the cost of the Bachmann version.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:07 pm

alex3410 wrote: Have to say was really surprised that the majority of train packs and locos had their boxes really badly sun bleached! I know it's what's inside that matters but still

You have to hope that the boxes were stacked with their windows covered. The effects of sunlight on the contents is one of the factors behind having a picture of the contents behind the window. When Triang burst onto the scene in the '50s my local modelshop had a starter set on display in the window, a Jinty plus two extremely short coaches. Before the summer was over the roof of both coaches had gone yellow and one of them was decidedly banana shaped. The jinty had gone from being pristine to a very faded mucky grey. Self weathering models anyone.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:55 am

unfortunately not, it was the front of the box with it on display - you would hope modern plastics are not as susceptible to it as the older stuff but even still its off putting.

latest purchases:

DCC bus wire
pre soldered fish plates

getting ready for laying new track when i have the funds for it, just trying to get all of the other bits ready so i don't hold up the laying of the track.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Modern plastics may not do it so badly and are a bit more colourfast, but they do deteriorate. Try flexing a piece of plastic guttering that has been up there for 20 years! Choose black square downspouts over round white ones. once they are sun bleached they look the colour of lead. White ones just yellow.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Well today I visited John Dutfields with a selection of old stock that I wanted to trade in for something else, was told my stock was worth £100 :shock: I was shocked, and was like a bloke in a model shop, I didn't know what to get, something old or something new, big or small, I couldn't choose, but eventally, be it £10 lighter, I left with R2685 Hornby West Country 34006 "BUDE" 1948 Nationalisation with Stanier Tender and 3 Hornby short Stanier coaches, not a bad buy, the loco being 191 of 2008 made, funny thing was there was another one on the same shelve.
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:46 pm

Ordered another Loco and 4 wagons ......
OF Course I need the Loco, for the new shunting layout.
a Bachmann 1F full cab early BR livery

Funny to read so many that buy second-hand, To me the prices
of second-hand are far too high, when for 10% more I can have
new with full manufacturers warranty.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:15 pm

In the last week bought some BR Teak Coaches R4598,R4599 ,R4601 ,and R4602 ,one of each and they are very nice and at a nice price as well @ £25 each ,,,,,mjb

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:54 pm

jackshepherd wrote:Well today I visited John Dutfields with a selection of old stock that I wanted to trade in for something else, was told my stock was worth £100 :shock: I was shocked, and was like a bloke in a model shop, I didn't know what to get, something old or something new, big or small, I couldn't choose, but eventally, be it £10 lighter, I left with R2685 Hornby West Country 34006 "BUDE" 1948 Nationalisation with Stanier Tender and 3 Hornby short Stanier coaches, not a bad buy, the loco being 191 of 2008 made, funny thing was there was another one on the same shelf.

That's my nearest model railway stockist. Lovely bunch of guys/gals.
The only disadvantage with the shop is, every time I visit them, I spend money!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”