Mini/Micro/Tiny Vaccum Cleaners

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Richard08

Mini/Micro/Tiny Vaccum Cleaners

Postby Richard08 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:55 pm

Can anyone recommend a small vacuum cleaner, suitable for clearing up ballast as well as dust? The ones I've found, aimed at cleaning keyboards, don't have enough oomph for ballast or are way to big to maneuver round scenery.

Bufferstop

Re: Mini/Micro/Tiny Vaccum Cleaners

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:37 pm

I have a kit which I bought on eBay which has the usual selection of mini brushes and nozzles a small diameter Flexi hose and an adaptor which fits on the standard vacuum cleaner hose. The adaptor has a sliding "bleed valve" which admits air to reduce the suction for more delicate operations. The only problem I have with it is the vacuum cleaner sits on the floor and my layout is four feet above. My solution was a tubular lamp stand on a heavy metal base. I fasten the vac hose pointing vertical to the top of the stand. I can then fit the adaptor and put the stand next to the layout.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

captrees

Postby captrees » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:14 am

I use a little Black and Decker Lithium Dustbuster. Its not ideal getting round finer scenery, but it has the power to suck up ballast etc without touching the tracks. I imagine with attachments as Bufferstop mentions is that it would be perfect, but I find it good enough for my purpose. What I do like about it is the ability to empty it easily and recycle the ballast/scatter etc. The resultant mix has proved to be invaluable.

Richard08

Postby Richard08 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:33 pm

Thanks for the relies, I shall investigate further.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:46 pm

Look out for a kit with an interceptor and filter and/or magnetic trap in the vac line to stop detail parts going straight into the dust bag. BVC produced such things for laboratory and workshop bench applications, but we're going back nearly fifty years now...

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”