Is There A Shortage Of Trainsets?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
SRman

Re: Is There A Shortage Of Trainsets?

Post by SRman »

Piko have some reasonably priced starter sets with continental European stock. The track has moulded ballast (not entirely convincing, but still an improvement on plain sleepered track, I think), and there are cheap controllers in some that can be used elsewhere later on. the trains supplied tend to be of good to very high quality. There are also digital start sets.

I bought a starter set with a German ICE 3 4-car set (around 150 Euros, less VAT but add postage to Oz). The powered car had 8-wheels driven and there were electrical couplings to feed power to the head and tail lights at each end, and the coaches are full scale length. Detail and finish were of a very high quality, which surprised me as they are supposed to be at the lower end of the market. I bought two more centre coaches, which cost rather more per coach than those in the set.

There are cheaper start sets with small 0-6-0 locomotives and 4-wheeled wagons, which look to offer excellent value for money. Price online 75 Euros.

Of course, these are no good if you want only British models, but I have been dabbling with European models for a while now, trying to keep the costs for this side interest down a bit. As such, Piko have impressed me with the quality of the mechanisms, even on the "cut-down" cheap Hobby series models such as the BR 218 diesel I have, which has solid side windows and moulded handrails (cost for this diesel was less than 60 Euros) - it has a heavy chassis block, smooth central 5-pole can motor with flywheels and 8-wheel drive, although, annoyingly, it also has traction tyres which it really doesn't need.

I haven't stopped buying better quality British models, but the quality of the cheap start sets is way below that of the German ones described above, to the point where I would be hesitant to recommend any of them.

End2end

Post by End2end »

This could be a bit of a long shot but I'll add it anyway...

Most model shops are open basically 24 hours a day now with their various websites and online ordering.... except one I know of.
Dorking Models.
Only open 3 days a week and their website is VERY sparse with no online ordering so you'd need to email or telephone for what stock they have in.
And limited as such, could this be an unknown treasure trove of unpurchased sets or items?
https://www.dorkingmodels.co.uk/
01306 881747
tony@dorkingmodels.com
12-13 West Street, Dorking
Surrey. RH4 1BL

I drove passed the shop yesterday and saw one of the Flying Scotsman train sets in the window next to one of the smaller sets. Unfortunately I couldn't exactly see which smaller set it was nor what price it had on it.
Their window display is chock full of all sorts of different models as mentioned on the website.
"Our shop window is almost a landmark in Dorking with many made up models dominated by a 1/35th scale Dora railgun."
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

SRman wrote:...I haven't stopped buying better quality British models, but the quality of the cheap start sets is way below that of the German ones described above, to the point where I would be hesitant to recommend any of them...
The market for HO in Germany and its neighbours has had product at a way higher standard than RTR OO all my life. In the 1950s my continental cousins had wondrous things like the Swiss Krokodil articulated electric locos and set track which included track pieces like double slips. It was only the injection of HO technique - mostly developed for North American HO - in the move to China, that has dragged OO forward to decent quality over the past 25 years.

Well, mostly. Hornby in particular didn't make the best use of what was possible in my opinion. The Lima bogie diesels could all have been given centre motor mechanisms, and the unbelievably dated small tank and rigid chassis diesel locos replaced with models on 'current standard' mechanisms. The time to do this was twenty odd years ago when it was cheap. Latterly they have 'got with the programme' but these are products on which the price has to be high for cost recovery. What Hornby lack are good and cheap loco models that have long ago amortised their costs, suitable for train sets.

Then there's OO set track which is dismal, but I have muttered about that already...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

00 Settrack? Certainly not either of the big brands, the sleeper spacing is H0, the sleeper cross section is pure fiction. Does it matter? If you are looking from the sort of angle you get in real life without putting yourself in danger. Looking from a platform towards a line curving off to one side, the sleepers do look much closer together. The giveaway that it's H0 scaled is the gap between the sleeper ends and the platform wall. I view my layout from a height when seated that approximates to a first floor window, and end on views of stock on the track are few so the details of the track are hard to see.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It's not the scaling or geometry that makes it dismal, it's the lack of development over the 50 years since launch. The HO equivalents offer larger curve radii, and a much superior choice of points with built in motors. It's not rocket science...
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Did anyone see the track system in the last few (?) of the Lima catalogues? Never seen it for real, and one could not get it because as far as I am aware the UK importer did not import it, but it was mazing track! The geometry and the formations one could make with it! If Hornby came out with it after they took over Lima they would have left Peco way behind and I am talking about their streamline range. Lima just seemed to get it right. I was very impressed but sadly the track was just not available over here.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Lima had to compete in HO-land of course, which would have pushed them to 'do better'. Lima branded track was definitely sold in the UK in sets.

(Evidence: I had a couple of Lima sets to shift on behalf of a charity shop for which my volunteer role was 'models' consultant in addition to encouraging punters to spring, and they had the price labels of a long extinct model shop in Letchworth on them. So I would assume the sets were sourced via the regular Richard Kohnstam (Riko) distribution; and since there was way more track than the sets had originally contained, that must have been purchased separately. But how much and for how long Riko sold Lima track in the UK, I know not; needs someone in the model trade during the 80s - 90s to fill in the detail.)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The bits of it that I had weren't that different from UK track except that points came with a part curve and straight bit to end up as a parallel siding. And from somewhere I remember steel rail with coppery coloured fishplates.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The old Lima track was indeed steel and had those lovely railjoiners, but the Lima track I was talking about was all nickel silver and had sufficient angles and came in parts that one could build a curved double track or even larger station throat where the curves go off in both directions... It was such an interesting track system that allowed for angles that even Peco streamline track could not achieve as these Lima points and crossings came in several sections where one built the track out of jigsaw like parts. It was all cleverly designed and I would have loved to have got my hands on it. I only ever saw it in one of the late Lima UK catalogues. I do not even know if it came into production or not.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I disposed of some surplus for a friend, I hung on to the Lima track and used it in my display cabinet. The steel rail still looks the same colour, the steel rail in from Hornby in the same cabinet has discoloured very badly. Quality shows even when it's cheap.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

With the old Lima track, the impressive part is their railjoiners. I use them on my layout for the pieces of "Bridge track" that links across the boards as these need to stand up to abuse and me being careful with every penny did not like the idea of needing to keep replacing Peco railjoiners every few times I assembled or dissasembled the two boards on my layout. These old Lima railjoiners should last a while as they are the strongest things I could find and I have always been impressed by them in the past.

(I had previously soldered track to the edge of my layout but one of the boards slightly twists by a mm or two in the summer whenthw air is dry and goes back in the winter and after adjusting for the summer only to find the board twisted back the next winter I had to come up with another plan and these little bridge tracks are the solution. I won't even bother bringing track to the edge if I make more boards on a portable layout as for me this is the answer).
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I had to walk* through the toy department of our John Lewis today, and - stap me - there was a Hornby train set on display. Not seen that for a decade+.

*No, genuinely: it's the only route to haberdashery where a rather crucial zipper was purchased...