Help with motor identifcation please

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
CasperGriswoldBacon

Help with motor identifcation please

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:23 am

Hi, bought a joblot of stuff of railway parts off ebay just after christmas(late night impulse buy :oops: ) and while I know what most of it is, a few have me stumped so I thought i'd tap the vast experience on here.

Brand new 7 pole motors - has a proper spring to hold the brushes. Any idea of make?
Old 5 pole motor with weird hole for brushes. - I have a few frames/chassis of about 5 different gauges and I'm trying to work out if it fits in one of them. Anyone seen one before - it rings a bell with me but can't think what make.
Maxon DC motor - I can't imagine you'd use one of these in a train as its very powerful but there seems to be some who do. Checked the numbers on the maxon site and searched google and can't find anything that corresponds with the numbers so no idea of the spec. Any idea of its possible use? RC Planes, cars, boats, washing machine?
Any help would be gratefully received.

Mountain

Re: Help with motor identifcation please

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:31 am

The 5 pole open framed motor liiks like Trix/Liliput. They looks similar to the old X03/04 motors.
Airfix also did a 5 pole motor which either was lovely if one had one that was well balanced like I did, or was out of balance like some of them were which were said to run lumpy. Mine ran well in the GWR 14xx class. It was the rest of the loco that had issues! But if it was a Trix/Liliput (Liliput took over production) they are nice motors. Certainly better then most offerings in their day.
Last edited by Mountain on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:33 am

Thanks Mountain. I shall investigate further.

UPDATE: Apparently they are Pitman motors, an upgrade on X03/04/5 motors or just for kit builds. Thanks again Mountain - wouldn't have found it without the Trix/Lilliput tip-off
Last edited by CasperGriswoldBacon on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:44 am

The Maxon would only go in an 0 gauge or larger type. It's obviously been used as a mini drill. The one that is built between the two flat slabs comes from slot car racing, I don't know who made them. The one I had was very high revving, not much grunt and needed around 60:1 gearing to be any use but was then lacking in range.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:01 am

Bufferstop wrote:The Maxon would only go in an 0 gauge or larger type. It's obviously been used as a mini drill. The one that is built between the two flat slabs comes from slot car racing, I don't know who made them. The one I had was very high revving, not much grunt and needed around 60:1 gearing to be any use but was then lacking in range.

blimey a drill? when I apply power it flies off with its own momentum. There is a O gauge chassis,I think. Ah, the slot car racing thing makes sense. I've got about 14 Scalextric/mini Scalextric motors as well. Many thanks Bufferstop

UPDATE. Actually could be an early K's motor?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ks-keyser-mk1-pole-12v-dc-motors-514264203

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:30 am

The Maxon motor adapted as a drill can be found in all sorts of applications, motor vehicle, office equipment, hifi and photographic drives.( I found one in an amplifier with remote control of volume, and it was so torquey it dismounted the potentiometer after about two days use, returned for refund unfit for purpose.)

The ugly job looks like a bastard second cousin to the K's 'special comedy falls apart because the adhesive lets go' motor.

Mountain wrote:The 5 pole open framed motor looks like Trix/Liliput. They looks similar to the old X03/04 motors.
Airfix also did a 5 pole motor which either was lovely if one had one that was well balanced like I did, or was out of balance like some of them were which were said to run lumpy...

There were any number of motors to this design available back in the day, whether from one manufacturer or several I have no idea, I should think Trix bought them in rather than manufacture in house as their business was very small volume. H.A. Blunt's model shop sold me a couple around 1970, unbranded; significantly a third the price of the 'Romford' branded equivalent; and they shifted the white metal kits they went in very effectively.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:44 am

Bigmet wrote:The Maxon motor adapted as a drill can be found in all sorts of applications, motor vehicle, office equipment, hifi and photographic drives.( I found one in an amplifier with remote control of volume, and it was so torquey it dismounted the potentiometer after about two days use, returned for refund unfit for purpose.)

The ugly job looks like a bastard second cousin to the K's 'special comedy falls apart because the adhesive lets go' motor.

Mountain wrote:The 5 pole open framed motor looks like Trix/Liliput. They looks similar to the old X03/04 motors.
Airfix also did a 5 pole motor which either was lovely if one had one that was well balanced like I did, or was out of balance like some of them were which were said to run lumpy...

There were any number of motors to this design available back in the day, whether from one manufacturer or several I have no idea, I should think Trix bought them in rather than manufacture in house as their business was very small volume. H.A. Blunt's model shop sold me a couple around 1970, unbranded; significantly a third the price of the 'Romford' branded equivalent; and they shifted the white metal kits they went in very effectively.

yeah its deffo a homemade drill. Didn't suss until Bufferstop mentioned it. The 7 pole is a Pitman - identical to one on RM (someone asking the same question as me). I think you're right about the K's. I think I have the springs to hold the brushes in, but the screws to keep it in are long gone.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:58 pm

erm i'm back with the last few things I haven't identified so any ideas would be appreciated

The tender is the main thing. 00 merchant navy? Metal, heavy, has moulded ladder on back. Kit built? Any ideas of make?
TT i think chassis - is that triang or something else? Big bogie thing , just interested what it is off?

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:47 pm

For the chassis check the gauge, if its 12mm then its TT. TBH it looks home made, but how does a motor drive it? The body could be TT but the foot steps on the side don't match and Continental locos I know of.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:04 pm

Hmmm.....seems to be 10mm. Doesn't seem to be homemade unless its a kit. Seems too well made. There are gears on both axles so I don't know how its powered. :? edit: Guess it must be 10.5mm gauge

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:18 pm

10.5mm? The only thing I can think of that uses that gauge is the American H0n3, H0 scale, 3ft narrow gauge!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 pm

The chassis part looks as though it could be part of an articulated loco, so H0n3 is probably best guess. If enough of those worms poke above the metal, it could even have been a double worm drive the rods being mainly cosmetic.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:37 am

Yes I think its definitely HOn3 so I guess i'll have to do a bit of research on that now. This is now the 6th different gauge/scale I've found in this joblot (0, 00, HO N, TT, TriangTT) and I still don't know what that massive bogie in the picture is :shock:

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”