Position of Load Gauges

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Tom@Crewe

Position of Load Gauges

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:11 am

Where would load gauges be fitted? I am thinking Good's Vans would not need them but wagons and flat wagons would!

Below is my layout where would gauges be? Platform's only service Vans and the Hard Standing would be wagons and open loads.
Would location A, B C and D or something different. Remember this is a model but needs to be in the realms of reality.

Bigmet

Re: Position of Load Gauges

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:10 am

That's a complicated yard to shunt and operate, and the one location which isn't on a road that locos must use is C. Dependent on the date of operation and location there may be a need to adjust the gauge for the destinations of the loaded vehicles, some of which adjustments might foul locos.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:18 am

Difficult to say on that layout, it took me a while to sort it out. As Loading Gauges (to give them their proper name) are used to gauge if the load on a wagon is "out of gauge" - usually too high - and if open wagons will be loaded at the platforms (say with boxes) then it will be at the exit to the layout onto the "main line", so A.

It seems a very convoluted layout, though, it strikes me as someone trying to get as much track into a small space rather than trying to be realistic. The entrance to the loco shed, via two kickbacks and through the sidings doesn't feel right at all, too much chance of getting your locos trapped by a broken down or derailed wagon. Not to mention that the train loco has to go through the whole layout to get to it's train. I think you'd find that the loco shed would be over near the entrance to the yard (top left or right corners) but that would entail a major redesign.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:25 am

Bigmet wrote:That's a complicated yard to shunt and operate, and the one location which isn't on a road that locos must use is C. Dependent on the date of operation and location there may be a need to adjust the gauge for the destinations of the loaded vehicles, some of which adjustments might foul locos.

I did wonder about that, Bigmet, but open wagons could also be loaded in the platforms and would have to be shunted to C after loading to be checked, honestly there's no ideal location for it even A is a compromise as if the wagon gets that far it's a lot of shunting to get it back! I did toy with putting it to the right of the point near B, C and D on the lower of the two headshunts where that brown "thing" is that covers the two headshunts but even that doesn't cover all eventualities! Perhaps it would use more than one loading gauge, to cover each fan of sidings? So all four locations. I'd still see A as a must, though, it's at the exit to the whole complex so is the last line of defence!

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 am

Tom@Crewe wrote: Remember this is a model

b308 It's a little late to start changing track plan's!!!

The layout is circa 1959 - 1965 Crewe

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:26 am

Ah, you didn't say you'd already built it!! Looks nice, but my feelings still stand. I could be proved wrong, though, where in Crewe is it?

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 am

It's a model, a layout which hopefully represents locomotives, rolling stock and local features of Crewe.

My chosen period is circa 1959 - 1964, Late Crest. I remember my Grandad taking me round the local, railway yards, station and offices in Crewe as he worked on the railway as a guard and being one of those people that seemed to know everyone.

I have added a link to my build on Signature at bottom.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:42 pm

Seen as constructed it suggests to me a former terminal station from the dawn of the railway, (since superseded by a much larger passenger station with superior layout for efficient movements of the considerably heavier traffic now on the line) that has been adapted little changed as a freight terminal that conveniently serves industries which would otherwise have poor rail access in what is now a very built up location.

For your date range, I would go with position 'A' : BR have standardised the network gauging and adjusted the loco stock to suit, so the potential fouling problems of earlier times are not a hazard.

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:36 pm

Would 3 in these positions cover better?

Or just stick with 'A'

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:36 pm

It goes back to what i said earlier, it depends on what is being loaded in the various roads. If only van traffic is being loaded in the two platform roads then either A or the toe of the point to the right of the bottom "X" on that last diagram. That is the last place they will go before being shunted into the loop/exchange sidings at the top.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”