DC controller not working

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Tigcraft

DC controller not working

Postby Tigcraft » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:22 pm

I'm still a complete beginner just to set the record straight meaning I probably won't understand most of the jargon given.
I've a Hornby R7229 Analog controller which I shorted out when I switched some points over on a new partly built track. I got a few sets of various points given and unbeknown to me the particular points I used that fitted the track were 'factory' soldered underneath to alter a circuit of some sorts on only this actual one. The controller now occasionally works so I took it apart to see if I can bypass anything. Well considering it just swaps polarity and resists current it surprised me with all the capacitors and micro chips and other stuff in there. My question is do I replace like with like and pop the next one too (as its bound to happen) or get a different one thats more suitable to a trial and error user like me? I'm building two layout lines and probably two sidings so dont think its worth going DCC.

End2end

Re: DC controller not working

Postby End2end » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:17 pm

Try replacing the point first. I just had a 2 month battle with a short circuit and it was down to a point.
I replaced the point and the problem was solved.

I think, after a while of being powered off, your controller resets itself but I'd await a further reply before confirming this as I don't own one.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Tigcraft

Postby Tigcraft » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:33 pm

I’ve neutralise the point and used a multimeter to make sure it’s not running one circuit into another as it’s tested fine now.

Tigcraft

Postby Tigcraft » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:28 pm

So is there a more robust dc control unit that might have a real trip switch that people use that’s cost effective?

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:33 pm

Try Gaugemaster. Their Combi has a thermal cutout for when things go wrong and will give you better control than the Hornby unit.

I'm puzzled by the "factory" soldered points, though, do you mean someone had modified them in some way or that they came like that from the manufacturer? Which raises the question, if they did come like that, did you followed the manufacturer's wiring instructions such as the use of insulated rail joiners?

Tigcraft

Postby Tigcraft » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:39 pm

b308 wrote:Try Gaugemaster. Their Combi has a thermal cutout for when things go wrong and will give you better control than the Hornby unit.

I'm puzzled by the "factory" soldered points, though, do you mean someone had modified them in some way or that they came like that from the manufacturer? Which raises the question, if they did come like that, did you followed the manufacturer's wiring instructions such as the use of insulated rail joiners?

They were not ‘home’ modified as the work was robotic in appearance and you wouldn’t have been able to get a soldering iron down a micro hole so small. These also were given to me and quite a few years old therefore no instructions.
I could have post a pic but the track is well screwed down now.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:02 pm

b308 wrote:Try Gaugemaster. Their Combi has a thermal cutout for when things go wrong and will give you better control than the Hornby unit...

Strongly seconded. My opinion is that Gaugemaster have such a lock on 'quality DC controller' that Hornby (and Bachmann) simply don't try and compete, other than offering a few cheap units of the 'gets you started' type. You may wince slightly at the prices, but Gaugemaster offer a lifetime warranty, because they can with their well engineered product.

gromit54

Postby gromit54 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:10 pm

I would go gaugemaster too, I had a one for years (think it was a D2), never had any problems with it. Would still have it had I not gone down the dcc route.
Mad dog gromit strikes again!!

Tigcraft

Postby Tigcraft » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:13 pm

Thanks for that. I set my mind on one now

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”