Inappropriate. Ads in the banners

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Inappropriate. Ads in the banners

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:52 pm

This afternoon the banners on our site were pointing to LVE Models, an Adult site. I've told Google I don't want to see it again, unfortunately that doesn't mean they won't put it in the banners to anyone else. I've told Simon. (saslord) who pays the bill, hopefully they will exclude it from being on our site. Actually I'm surprised how long it's taken for this to happen, at least to me, because the signature lines of some of our failed applicants contain some links I'd never normally follow, and you probably know you can make a link display any sort of fake name.
If you get an inappropriate advert in the banner please click on the "why this page" link and tell Google that you don't want to see it again, and also let us know about it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Flashbang

Re: Inappropriate. Ads in the banners

Postby Flashbang » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:32 pm

I never see any Google Ads They are all blocked and removed by a free Ad Blocker. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

whufcfan

Postby whufcfan » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:59 pm

Same here Adblock stops all adverts, can’t understand why people don’t use it!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:15 pm

Some of us want to keep an eye the ads. Much as I also don't want to see grafitti, fly tipping, violence, evidence of narcotics abuse, and so forth; if you do not maintain observation, you are in no position to raise evidence based objections to such problems with your MP and other relevant parties.

The LVE Models ad. popped up while I was typing. It requires legislation to make the hosting businesses exert control over such content that their sludge pumps distribute, which will only be achieved when significant penalties tare imposed

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:40 pm

Yes ads can be blocked, but the novice user doesn't know how to, and some systems used in schools don't allow the child user to block anything only the visiting tech can do that on his weekly visit. The thing about this ad is there is nothing that would stand out on a list of sites. Blocking lists that update by textual analysis wouldn't give it a second look..........
Actually as I have been typing this the banner he been replaced with the grumpy face emoji. It would appear that Google has blocked it for me, here's hoping.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 am

Bufferstop wrote:This afternoon the banners on our site were pointing to LVE Models, an Adult site. I've told Google I don't want to see it again, unfortunately that doesn't mean they won't put it in the banners to anyone else. I've told Simon. (saslord) who pays the bill, hopefully they will exclude it from being on our site. Actually I'm surprised how long it's taken for this to happen, at least to me, because the signature lines of some of our failed applicants contain some links I'd never normally follow, and you probably know you can make a link display any sort of fake name.
If you get an inappropriate advert in the banner please click on the "why this page" link and tell Google that you don't want to see it again, and also let us know about it.

Since this has been posted, or possibly since Simon may have made changes to the sites settings, I no longer see any ads on my Android tablet (which is great), I have also been logged out from the forum on the tablet and I can't log in to the forum on my tablet, nor can I use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page. I try to put my details into the text input boxes but the onscreen keyboard doesn't work so I am unable to enter any information. Luckily I still have access from my laptop which appears to work perfectly normally and no Ads.

I wonder if others are experiencing the same problem.

PS I have cleared my tablet history and cookies etc numerous times and power cycled it a couple of times.

PPS. I've now found an alternative log in box at the bottom of the home page that works.
Last edited by Roger (RJ) on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:22 am

I have an issue with adds. I did not set up the account to run this tablet. My brother did who knows what he is doing, but though he used my name he invented a password which he does not remember and though he told me I do not remember either, and to get ccess to apps I need to sign in so I m stuck. My Mums in the same position with her tablet and she cant turn the microphone on to communicate with my youngest brother and his wife who are overseas with her parents.

Now the only adverts I normally get are the ones I have mentioned before which are a bit dangerous to be honest, and they still come up with dodgy gas meter or electeicity meter bypass tricks. Just as I was reading this one came up and just as I went to log in another came up so I screenshotted them. (I know how to do that now!)

And to ammend this to add another. Just as I was looking at a thread a new one came up that I had not seen before! Hehe.

On another moden railway site I have a problem that I can no longer use it as their adds cover the screen so I can't see the right hand side of their site and I have no access to apps to use an add blocker but this site is fine as the adds do not cover anything.
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-01-05-11-40-23-1.png
Screenshot_2022-01-05-11-25-51-1.png
Screenshot_2022-01-05-11-25-37-1.png

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:56 pm

And I can't believe this one!
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-01-05-23-04-51-1.png

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:08 pm

It's a pathetic attempt at irony. One should never assume that people who should know better do!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:59 pm

I see It's back, LVE have removed the word Adult from its banner ad. The only clue to what the content may be is the silhouette image overprinted by the letters. If they did this to evade scrutiny by Google's filters they both are pathetic, Google and it's filters.
A second look at the horrific device in this misdirected power ads, it seems to be a reasonably workable design for a spot welding device. Replace the flimsy mains lead and provide an insulating handle for clamping the points onto the work piece it should work, not that I fancy using it.

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:03 am

Sadly I get no scantily clad women :cry: although I marvel at how far these targeted ads are off target. I went through a period of sheds and Chinese remedies, now i'm onto play lead guitar in an hour and Network rail approved railway equipment. UPDATE: Just been offered a shipping container and a cruise to Alaska

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:35 pm

I had a good chuckle in the past in regards to google site suggestions where companies such as Amazon attempt to get their add in first with reference to the word one has typed into the search engine, and I wanted to check how to spell the word "Diarrhea" (Just had to look it up again to spell it!) and Amazon came up first with:

"For the best prices of diarrhea..."

MrH

Postby MrH » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:12 pm

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:Sadly I get no scantily clad women :cry: although I marvel at how far these targeted ads are off target. I went through a period of sheds and Chinese remedies, now i'm onto play lead guitar in an hour and Network rail approved railway equipment. UPDATE: Just been offered a shipping container and a cruise to Alaska

I taught a class to 'compose like Mozart in 20 mins' on Friday so lead guitar in an hour no problem
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

George Stein

Postby George Stein » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:40 pm

Just a comment. AdBlock, etc. are good. Also consider protecting yourself from being identified by sites you visit while searching, take a look at the search engine "Duck Duck Go." I use it together with Firefox.

George
North Carolina

Someone

Postby Someone » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:04 pm

Removed post put it in wrong thread by mistake.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”