Best 00 gauge buildings

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Grumpstoot

Best 00 gauge buildings

Postby Grumpstoot » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:32 pm

Can anyone advise who makes the best scenic buildings, i have a few metcalf buildings which are ok but is there a better alternative preferably already painted i am going to constuct some of my own but want to have a backup

Flashbang

Re: Best 00 gauge buildings

Postby Flashbang » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:45 pm

Cast Resin buildings by Bachmann Scenecraft or Hornby Skaledale are very good and come ready made and painted.
Gaugemaster Fordhampton plastic kit are worth a look too, but do need assembly and some additional painting.
Then there are Laser cut kits, again needing assembly and painting.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

George Stein

Postby George Stein » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:02 am

The following comments are my OPINIONS. First, the best buildings are the ones that fit your vision for the layout - especially being architecturally relevant to time & location of layout. Second, the recent explosive return of inexpensive download card-stock (together with each company's "builder's yard" of bricks, wood, tiles, paving, etc.) means that an investment of TIME versus MONEY will get you exactly what you envision for your layout. You UK modellers have far more to choose from in card-stock than US modellers. Final opinion: have tried many glues (including a recent one designed for car modelling), I have returned to good old UHU - with, btw, I order from the UK.

George
North Carolina

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:53 am

My own ten pence for what it's worth. :lol:

I don't like card buildings so I don't buy or make them. Hornby's premade buildings never seem to have the window frames glued in square.
Bachamann pre-made buildings seem much better in this aspect.

Scenecraft pre-made buildings - I bought one but the painting wasn't very good and the windows are filled in so I got rid of it. I do like adding internal details and lighting to my buildings.

Non pre-made buildings...
Plastic kits from various manufacturers which can be painted or left in their supplied colours:-

Dapol - I've found some warped, new out of the packaging.

Wills - some of the smaller kits with less parts have no instructions (the barn and forge kits for example)

Gaugemaster - Not sure yet but I do have 2 to make.

Hornby kits (if you can find them) - It's been quite a while since I made a Hornby kit. Some of these are replicated by other manufacturers now like the Hornby Post office kit can now be purchased as a Gaugemaster kit (albeit in a dodgy shade of yellow)

LINKA / Scalecast https://www.scalecast.co.uk/#/ - Making your own buildings using moulds to make 'tiles' that glue together with PVA - My favourite building medium.
Mixing either powder and water or resin to fill the moulds.
Buy different moulds and use them over and over to create your own buildings. This is as close to scratch building as I get.

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:45 am

I also use Linka stone moulds from time to time. Larger buildings especially can be a bit fragile and I've never got great results with their brick or roofing moulds as the joins are too obvious. I make my roofs with card and stick on thick paper slates. Two coaling stages, one water tower, a small station building, a folly and a retaining wall shown on my BNR layout thread are all Linka. Some are better than others! :)
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:51 am

Resin cast buildings do add a 3D texture to buildings but you have to be prepared to reject one that have, ever so gently, sagged or bulged. It's down to the weight of the resin and the rigidity of the mould. It was ok for the "cartoon character" olde world models produced by Lilliput Lane it imparted more charm. My bête noir is the brick corners with mortar lines so deep that they must be in the middle of re-pointing.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:35 pm

End2end wrote:Scenecraft pre-made buildings - I bought one but the painting wasn't very good and the windows are filled in so I got rid of it. I do like adding internal details and lighting to my buildings.

Apologies. I meant SCENIX not Scenecraft - Scenecraft are Bachmann models and are much better.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”