REPAIR SHOP Hornby Dublo 'Restoration'

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
RailwayRobbo

REPAIR SHOP Hornby Dublo 'Restoration'

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:11 pm

Anyone else see the Xmas Repair Shop programme?
2 guys brought in a Hornby Dublo 3 rail train set in a pretty sorry state.
It wasn't exactly an 'in depth' restoration but a clean up and cosmetic job to get the thing running again.
Pity they didn't replace the missing front bogie though.
I enjoyed it though for the simple reason that a secondhand 3 rail BR Standard Tank was my first train set back in the early 60s. Xmas present of course.
What was your first train set?

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Bufferstop

Re: REPAIR SHOP Hornby Dublo 'Restoration'

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:50 pm

I can't remember much about my first trains set, it wasn't Hornby that's for sure. It was a small 0-4-0 with a "Coronation" style streamlined body with a tender and two coaches. They may have been styled after the Coronation coach set, of which I knew nothing. it had an oval of track with a radius far smaller than Hornby's . It got replaced piecemeal with a Hornby 0-4-0 followed rapidly by a circle of genuine Hornby track and some Hornby points. It was all sold in around 1950 to expand a Dublo 0-6-2 tank goods set, from the days when they would happily sell an LNER loco in LMS colours, in fact you could get a version in each of the big four colours. I did wonder why there wasn't a fifth one with BR and a lion on the side. It was many years later that I learned of Meccano's massive production runs which meant that my LMS tank was probably painted before BR existed. I can date it's production to post WW2 as there was no sign of the mods required to fit the Peco style couplers when they were introduced as production restarted.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:24 pm

Mine was a Hornby Industrial Freight set, it had a small 0-4-0 green tank engine with British Railways on the side, a red box van, blue British Steel open truck, and small wooden open truck with something written on the side. It came with the usual black controller with red control knob, and an oval of track, and a track mat. Over the next couple of years my Dad upgraded it finishing the other 2 ovals and sidings, with me having track and points for Birthdays and Christmas. It was a nice layout as a kid, 3 ovals, with a level crossing, station, 3 sidings inside the loops with an engine shed, and 2 long sidings down either end of the board where I could store coaches.

As for the programme, I didn't see it, what station was it on?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:49 pm

Never had a 'train set' in a box. Just a collection of s/h Triang locos, rolling stock and track and pieces various that my Pa was given by a colleague emigrating to the US. It was great because a lot of it had to be 'put together' in one way or another. And thus we learn.

As for Repair Shop, I mostly want to see Steve Fletcher at work; can I find a Boley lathe like he uses for £50?

centenary

Postby centenary » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:41 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:Anyone else see the Xmas Repair Shop programme?
2 guys brought in a Hornby Dublo 3 rail train set in a pretty sorry state.
It wasn't exactly an 'in depth' restoration but a clean up and cosmetic job to get the thing running again.
Pity they didn't replace the missing front bogie though.
I enjoyed it though for the simple reason that a secondhand 3 rail BR Standard Tank was my first train set back in the early 60s. Xmas present of course.
What was your first train set?

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Yeah I watched that and the loco was pretty battered. But Im guessing the guys remembered the loco missing the front bogie and wanted to keep it like that?

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:15 pm

I got a load of 2nd hand Triang stuff as a kid. 2 jintys, 2 princesses, class 31, DMU, Trix A4 as my dad wanted a decoy to avoid me playing with his stuff :D First new stuff i got was the Hornby Lord Westwood set.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”