Static grass applicators

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Grumpstoot

Static grass applicators

Postby Grumpstoot » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:16 pm

Has anyone used a static grass applicator like the one in the attached file and how good/bad are they compared with others
Attachments
Screenshot_20211229-160028_Chrome.jpg

b308

Re: Static grass applicators

Postby b308 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:18 pm

You'll get differing views on this, we had a similar thread on applicators recently.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56926&p=698974&hilit=static+grass#p698974

That sort will work ok.

They are nowhere near as good as the professional ones which have a large enclosed "bin" for the grass such as Peco or Noch.

You can make one like that for under a tenner but I wouldn't bother. I feel that one is overpriced for what it is.
Last edited by b308 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heda

Postby heda » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:24 pm

Whatever you choose DO NOT pay that sort of money for that style of applicator !
It can be made from an electric fly swatter and tea strainer for less than a fiver.
Dave

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:56 pm

I got all of the bits to make one for £3 at the poundshop. When you take the flyswat apart there are two wires to it's head which one connects to the sieve the other you thread back through the handle and extend it with a wire with a croc clip on the end. The hardest part was cutting through and bending the thick wire handle so that it was gripped by the two parts of the body when you reassemble it.
Its slow compared to the "salt shaker" types whether they are homebrewed or commercial, but if you only have small patches of long grass it's more than adequate. A useful addition is a heavy plastic rod to tap on the rim to help shake the strands, don't be tempted to use the first thing to hand, even a pencil is conductive. I believe but have not checked out the details, that you can get the UHV device for a Ultra violet fly trapper on Ebay if you want to make a high output one. I'm very cautious about this as our fly trap would dish out really serious shocks if you took of the earthed cover. By comparison the fly swat only make you jump if you touch it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Grumpstoot

Postby Grumpstoot » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:37 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice, to be honest i dont want the faf of making my own its time i would never get back :lol: for what it costs i will purchase one if its not suitable i will put it back on e bay

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”