Help with track fixing and digital setup

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
whobejack

Help with track fixing and digital setup

Postby whobejack » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:39 am

Hi All,

I'm not sure where to post this. My mum (80) has a contoured board and fleischmann track. She has been asking me for help to lay the track and get the electrics working for ages and between work and being unwell I haven't managed to do much except lay a bit of the track (it keeps coming apart). I helped her years ago with an analogue set up which I could just about manage but I haven't used a digital set up before.

I would like to do get this up and running for a christmas present for her so she can decorate but can't manage myself, so...does anyone live near Barnet that could help with this? I'm happy to pay.
Attachments
IMG_5026.jpeg

Someone

Re: Help with track fixing and digital setup

Postby Someone » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Connecting the two wires of the DCC controller on the Main track output connect one to each rail, these are called positive and negative wires, What Ever you do DO NOT put positive and negative wires on the same rail, this will cause short circuits
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:08 pm

Someone wrote:Connecting the two wires of the DCC controller on the Main track output connect one to each rail, these are called positive and negative wires, What Ever you do DO NOT put positive and negative wires on the same rail, this will cause short circuits

Unfortunately that will only power one loop.
You need to at least split the 2 wires from the controller into 6 (3 x positive / 3 x negative) wires and connect EACH of the 3 loops to these 6 wires making sure that the left tracks are all the same and the right tracks are all the same. (all left = red / positive : all right = black / negative for example)
Also you need to connect any sidings.
Basic rule for DCC is add droppers to EVERY piece of track.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Someone

Postby Someone » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:22 am

End2end wrote:
Someone wrote:Connecting the two wires of the DCC controller on the Main track output connect one to each rail, these are called positive and negative wires, What Ever you do DO NOT put positive and negative wires on the same rail, this will cause short circuits

Unfortunately that will only power one loop.
You need to at least split the 2 wires from the controller into 6 (3 x positive / 3 x negative) wires and connect EACH of the 3 loops to these 6 wires making sure that the left tracks are all the same and the right tracks are all the same. (all left = red / positive : all right = black / negative for example)
Also you need to connect any sidings.
Basic rule for DCC is add droppers to EVERY piece of track.
Thanks
End2end

For a small layout no larger then 8x4 Feeders for every piece of track is Unnecessary, as long as points are Live.

It's still a good idea if possible.

For a layout in the size of the image one or two Feeders on each loop should do the trick.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:01 pm

I have just seen this. How did things go?

I do not know where Barnet is though I have heard of the place name. Somewhere in England?

It looks like one may need to lay a bit of flexible track cut to length to make it all work. The real railways had to cut track to length.

It does look like a longer term project.

DCC... It is a bit more complex as each DCC system is different but the basic wiring is the same.

Finding the right way of fixing the track down depends on what the surface of the layout is. I have seen photos of those pre-formed layouts but not come into contact with them in real life.

Soldering frequent dropper wires is not neccessary to make it work, but it ensures one will get less issues in the future as railjoiners are usually reliable enough but can play up, which is why some go to great lengths and wire every single piece of track up which takes ages but it ensures ones layout will end up reliable. I have never quite gone to those lengths myself, as I tend to fix things as they occur and then add extra wires if needed! But it all depends on the layout and its use. Permanent layouts do not have so many knocks and scrapes as portable ones do (Even if the portablw layout is stored, mine tends to have a hard time as I walk past it and move it to get to things behind it etc. (I must get more organized and make a dedicated place for it when not in use).

I do hope you find a fellow enthusiast who lives near you who can help.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”