Was this real? - Lima Articulated transformer

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
JickettyCan

Was this real? - Lima Articulated transformer

Postby JickettyCan » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:25 pm

All the oo gauge makers seem to make their stuff based on real railway rolling stock - well, mostly from what i can work out.

Anyway, i'm wondering, was this actually real or just a made up thing?

I only ask as i can't find a picture of the real thing on google images! I bought one today (bargain price of £12) and i must say it runs round the track very smoothly! Lovely bit of Lima-ness there.

Bigmet

Re: Was this real? - Lima Articulated transformer

Postby Bigmet » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:28 pm

Such wagons in various designs were constructed in all the major developed nations as they equipped with electrical power supply from the early C20th onwards. Quite simply there were not the roads nor the road vehicles with sufficient heavy lift capability until the developments following WWII.

I'd say this is quite a dated model, it looks to be more representative than closely following a prototype, in order to make it compact enough for a smaller layout. The real vehicles can be monsters, often with pairs of multi-axle bogies each end, and the transformer slung between and bolted to a girder bridge for as low a position as possible.

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/380- ... 0657270302

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:59 pm

I had a simpler version, (Bachmann I think) a transformer in a Weltrol wagon. Multiple bogie carrying equipment for transformers and other outsized loads certainly exist. I've seen an extremely complex one which could shift the load sideways, supported by a similar set of bogies on the adjacent track so that it could fit through the centre of arched overbridges and tunnels.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Suzie

Postby Suzie » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:07 am

There are some quite big prototypes around, and they are often modelled. Some can be far too big to get round the average layout because like the prototype they are out of gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:23 pm

My grandad was a developments engineer (Designer) and one of the companies he worked for he designed trailers, and one of these had to be designed to fit inside the hold of a ship and had to be stransported in three sections and assembled out where it was to be used. When assembled it was around six storeys high and very long. It was used to carry very large pipes across desert like land when the oil refineries and pipelines were constructed out in the Middle East. I believe it was Renault or Ford he worked for when he was designing this (He worked for both companies and many other engineering companies during his time and designed some world firsts).

Railways in the past would often dissmantle signals, signalboxes and even remove bridges and rebuild them all after the large load had passed, and the entire bill would be sent to the company who wanted the item transported.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”