Flock or static grass

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Grumpstoot

Flock or static grass

Postby Grumpstoot » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:20 pm

I have been researching for what gives best and most realistic results flock or static grass,as with all researching you get good and bad reviews but any advice would be appreciated and the + and - with both options

fourtytwo

Re: Flock or static grass

Postby fourtytwo » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:15 pm

By flock do you also include the coloured sawdust like stuff ? anyway my experience with coloured sawdust is that it is not sun proof, I have had many layouts that within a year or so look like the sahara desert!
A fresh start in OO, DC Steam

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:16 pm

Hi Grumpstoot,

Nearly all flock grass is a static grass. Sawdust & granular scatter is a different animal.
It depends on the way you dispense it.
Do you use a static dispenser where it is designed to get individual blades of grass standing up,
something I've always toyed with the idea, but never bothered. I'm sure we have members that do that.

I have always trickled fibres through my fore finger and thumb where I have control of the differing colours
that you need to produce a realistic look. I found that easier to produce the shading to represent a damp
area, or the edge of track ballast where often it's been sprayed with weed killer.

As with many things best to try the different ideas to see which you personally find the best, for both ease
of laying and visual effect. Some may not like my finger & thumb effect.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

MrH

Postby MrH » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:36 pm

I’ve just started using static grass literally yesterday so it hasn’t hit my truck in a tizzy thread yet. (It’s part of a bigger post)

I was watching a geek gaming scenic video on you tube where Luke used some foam flocks (like the sawdust stuff mentioned above) under the static grass to get his effect I think it was his railway diorama videos but he has done several on the subject.

I used a mixture of different 2 and 4 mm static grasses from Lukes range and a 6mm highlight in one area. I got the war world scenic middle sized applicator and their basing glue and layering spray but people often use varnish.

I prefer the effect to when I used just foam/sawdust flock on my previous layout but like Geoff says getting the mix right is the key.

Give me a couple of days and I’ll get some pics up
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

Grumpstoot

Postby Grumpstoot » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:19 am

Thanks for the advice ive watched geek guys method which looks affective and realistic so i might try that first im new to modeling so still finding my feet :)

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:25 am

You can make your own static grass applicator from an electronic fly swatter and tea strainer, much cheaper than an off the shelf applicator.
I've already made mine although I haven't used it on the layout as yet but it does work.

Here's just one link with a how-to. There are many more on the net.
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/build-g ... ry-2381741
Hope it helps. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:34 pm

You can, and I started off using home made ones, but the production ones, such as Peco's and Noch's give far better results I've found.

Going back to the OP i use static grass, grass mat and flock, mixing them together sometimes, to get the results I want.

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:30 pm

Tried static grass and for me the end result didn't justify the expense and the faffing. I'm well content with Woodland Scenics ground covers, applied carefully in a mix of colours and types. It may not look totally realistic, but just how realistic is 00, tension lock couplings, tight radii, no working signals etc etc?

As to fading colours, surely the answer is simply to keep sunlight off the layout?

jem12

Postby jem12 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:24 am

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Grumpstoot,

Nearly all flock grass is a static grass. Sawdust & granular scatter is a different animal.
It depends on the way you dispense it.
Do you use a static dispenser where it is designed to get individual blades of grass standing up,
something I've always toyed with the idea, but never bothered. I'm sure we have members that do that.

I have always trickled fibres through my fore finger and thumb where I have control of the differing colours
that you need to produce a realistic look. I found that easier to produce the shading to represent a damp
area, or the edge of track ballast where often it's been sprayed with weed killer.

As with many things best to try the different ideas to see which you personally find the best, for both ease
of laying and visual effect. Some may not like my finger & thumb effect.

Geoff T.

Right, However, if you are making tufts (small clumps of tall grass to be glued on the layout after they are dry), flock is the general term used for the long grass fibers, but it is still static grass fibers. Another way to look at it is: Flock is the material, and static grass is the process.
Most of the gardeners should time the weed killer https://www.backyardstyle.com/weed-killer-for-lawns/ application to take place before weed seeds start to germinate, generally in the early spring.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:11 pm

Geoff I started off using the "through the fingers" method as I have no vast areas of grass to cover. I had to give up as I was wearing out my fingerprints, they are visible but no longer leave a clear print. I can't use my phones' fingerprint scanner as after the best part of an hour scanning it gave up at 62%. I was warned off going to America by someone who has the same condition and found themselves dragged out of the queue at immigration and shoved in a cage with the undesirables. That's what drove me to making my own "grassinator" I got all of the bits needed from Poundland, electric fly swat, set of three strainers and a PP3 battery, total £3! Not as effective as a ready made one, but with a plastic rod to tap on the rim to help shake down the fibres, it's done all the areas I needed, and gone back with a few refreshers, where it had worn a bit thin.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”