Non-permanent snow for a model railway

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Someone

Non-permanent snow for a model railway

Postby Someone » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:16 pm

There are quite a few ways of moddling snow on a model railway, but all the methods and products seem to be permanent, but I like the idea of having snow but I also like green grass and lush trees so don't want permanent scenery, is there anyway of making snow which can be easily removed from the layout and doesn't cause problem's for model trains or electrics.

I know this kind of model snow will be unrealistic but I'm a bit of a child and like fun things like this.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.

heda

Re: Non-permanent snow for a model railway

Postby heda » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Have a look for 'snow blanket'

Dave

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:11 pm

Snow! Snow! There will be plenty of it around these parts this week. Shovel it on the layout and when you don't want anymore put the heating on!!!

Seriously, it really depends on how much you want on. I have a 'dusting' on my layout at 'Sovereign Street'.

I used cheap talcum powder.

IMG_5191.JPG

It has been 'down' over 12 months. It is only a small amount I have never bothered to remove it.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:26 pm

My solution was snow on the background hills, and bare hedges given a light frosting. I produced a winter and a summer background and the hedges got brushed over. Lasted about ten years, needs a complete overhaul now.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Someone

Postby Someone » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:09 am

glencairn wrote:Snow! Snow! There will be plenty of it around these parts this week. Shovel it on the layout and when you don't want anymore put the heating on!!!

Seriously, it really depends on how much you want on. I have a 'dusting' on my layout at 'Sovereign Street'.

I used cheap talcum powder.

IMG_5191.JPG

It has been 'down' over 12 months. It is only a small amount I have never bothered to remove it.

Glencairn

I want quite a thick layer.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:17 am

In that case there probably isn't anything that will suit as a temporary layer. You could try some of the methods mentioned on a small section of your layout and then try hoovering it up to see if it would clear, but most people either want one or the other, not both. It would be like trying to model a layout showing summer and autumn, you'd have to replace most of the trees! Come to think about it that's another reason it probably won't work, unless you model all your trees in "winter" mode unless they are evergreen!

heda

Postby heda » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:42 am

A couple of pictures of one of my old Slalextric tracks, the second picture is using snow blanket.

Dave

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:43 am

b308 wrote: -------- It would be like trying to model a layout showing summer and autumn, you'd have to replace most of the trees! Come to think about it that's another reason it probably won't work, unless you model all your trees in "winter" mode unless they are evergreen!

That is why I did a 'City Wintry scene'. Only a small amount of 'snow' is required.

On the American Forum I am on the same question has arisen. The answers are a few makers of 'snow', all American. Perhaps Google will name some Companies?

Glencairn

Someone

Postby Someone » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:52 am

b308 wrote:In that case there probably isn't anything that will suit as a temporary layer. You could try some of the methods mentioned on a small section of your layout and then try hoovering it up to see if it would clear, but most people either want one or the other, not both. It would be like trying to model a layout showing summer and autumn, you'd have to replace most of the trees! Come to think about it that's another reason it probably won't work, unless you model all your trees in "winter" mode unless they are evergreen!

I plan on making my trees removable.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:58 pm

There was a 009 layout on Railway Modeller a number of years ago (it was on the front page) which used shaving foam to create a temporary winter scene!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:48 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:There was a 009 layout on Railway Modeller a number of years ago (it was on the front page) which used shaving foam to create a temporary winter scene!

Jim

I remember that! A so-and-so to remove later I believe.

Glencairn

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:31 pm

glencairn wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:There was a 009 layout on Railway Modeller a number of years ago (it was on the front page) which used shaving foam to create a temporary winter scene!

Jim

I remember that! A so-and-so to remove later I believe.

Glencairn

If I remember they got it off, but the fragrance in the foam clung to the layout :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”