Sci-fi themed model railway?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Someone

Sci-fi themed model railway?

Postby Someone » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:25 pm

Note! You won't understand the following unless you have watched star trek: the Next generation and Deep space Nine.

I was thinking, why not build a model railway based on the Star trek planet of Bajor.

I would be a great way to let my imagination fly, because I can scratchbuild fictional rolling stock, and because as far as I know, Railway's on Bajor was never mentioned In Star trek so you can basically build whatever you want.

You can also use 3rd radius and 2nd radius curves and just say "The Bajorans had a tendency to build there railway's with tight curves".

There are also some great pictures online for scenery Inspiration and for backscenes.

This is probably a rubbish idea, but it's something different and interesting to build.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.

Bufferstop

Re: Sci-fi themed model railway?

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:12 pm

Just as valid as Steam Punk, or Discworld, both of which have been developed into exhibition layouts!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

MrH

Postby MrH » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:10 pm

Everyone thinks someone is doing it, so now that would be you.

It doesn't matter where the inspiration comes from as long as you create so go for it
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:04 pm

Someone wrote:You can also use 3rd radius and 2nd radius curves and just say "The Bajorans had a tendency to build there railway's with tight curves"...

Alternatively on planet Betamax where telepathy is general, no need for signals, fenced off railway tracks, station names, platform number: everybody reads the minds of everyone else and thus knows where to stand for the right train to board, and the drivers know where every other train is; they have everything completely taped. (If they had level crossings they wouldn't need gates or barriers or flashing warning lights, but because reading the minds of road users and train drivers travelling at right angles while the Earth hits 'I'm a Train' and 'In love with my Car' were both in vogue caused hideous accidents, all road and rail crossings are overbridges or underpasses as the geography and need for scenic breaks makes most convenient.)

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:10 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Just as valid as Steam Punk, or Discworld, both of which have been developed into exhibition layouts!

Someone's also done Hobbiton as well! ;)

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:22 pm

No doubt some of the rolling stock would be Cardassian designs, built during the occupation!
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Someone

Postby Someone » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:32 am

pete12345 wrote:No doubt some of the rolling stock would be Cardassian designs, built during the occupation!

Probably bombed most of the infrastructure.

So can create a scene of damaged track.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.

Someone

Postby Someone » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:33 am

Bigmet wrote:
Someone wrote:You can also use 3rd radius and 2nd radius curves and just say "The Bajorans had a tendency to build there railway's with tight curves"...

Alternatively on planet Betamax where telepathy is general, no need for signals, fenced off railway tracks, station names, platform number: everybody reads the minds of everyone else and thus knows where to stand for the right train to board, and the drivers know where every other train is; they have everything completely taped. (If they had level crossings they wouldn't need gates or barriers or flashing warning lights, but because reading the minds of road users and train drivers travelling at right angles while the Earth hits 'I'm a Train' and 'In love with my Car' were both in vogue caused hideous accidents, all road and rail crossings are overbridges or underpasses as the geography and need for scenic breaks makes most convenient.)

You mean betazed?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:09 am

I think that it is an interesting idea and I can see it can work. I am not really into that type of thing myself because even though I love freelance, I want my models to be a bit closer to the real thing which means the past or the present, and though I am not into sci-fi myself as I find it all too far fetched from reality, but I do love the thought behind doing something like that as it is very creative, and I love to see creativity.
I secretly get a little bored of the same old 00 gauge ready to run factory made models going round the same oval of track in the same or similar scenic setting with a station on one side and a shunting yard/storage sidings on the other... All using the same grass mats or the same static grass and the same or similar buildings and backscenes... Even though I know it is all great fun and I know that one person has set them out in a slightly different order to the next.... I do love something completely different and creative which is what your plan offers, so I watch with interest to see what you will come up with. :D

ChrisGreaves

Postby ChrisGreaves » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:21 am

Someone wrote:This is probably a rubbish idea, but it's something different and interesting to build.
I suspect that some old fogey would have snorted "Science Fiction! Bah !!" at The Rocket, had "science fiction" been a term of currency way back then ...
Cheers
Chris

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:50 am

Someone wrote:You mean betazed?

Entirely different place. Betamax is way more cool, some of the people so laid back they can barely see over their own hips; and they have everything completely taped.

Someone

Postby Someone » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Mountain wrote:I think that it is an interesting idea and I can see it can work. I am not really into that type of thing myself because even though I love freelance, I want my models to be a bit closer to the real thing which means the past or the present, and though I am not into sci-fi myself as I find it all too far fetched from reality, but I do love the thought behind doing something like that as it is very creative, and I love to see creativity.
I secretly get a little bored of the same old 00 gauge ready to run factory made models going round the same oval of track in the same or similar scenic setting with a station on one side and a shunting yard/storage sidings on the other... All using the same grass mats or the same static grass and the same or similar buildings and backscenes... Even though I know it is all great fun and I know that one person has set them out in a slightly different order to the next.... I do love something completely different and creative which is what your plan offers, so I watch with interest to see what you will come up with. :D

Unfortunately I will have to wait a year to buy a 3d printer before I can start this project, because this project is heavily reliant on 3d printing.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:16 pm

Many things can be made with ones hands or with tools. Have you tried resin casting copies of things one has already made (Prototypes of parts are needed in the casting to make more of them). Sylmasta do resin casting kits. There are cheaper alternatives, but Sylmasta casting kits I recommend as I have used one, and the parts I have made by either using the rubber moulding compound or using playdough to cast in (For "One off" parts as the rubber compound does not go too far). I found that the resin itself just keeps on going and going. It was as if the two tins were filling themselves as I was pouring! (Part A ad part B which are 50/50 mixed together and one should not make too much at a time so always have extra molds to fill even if playdough or plasticine is used)... I always had extra resin more then the amount I needed so I had a spare mold handy incase... And yes, one can half cast if one runs out and at a later date cast the rest as it usually still comes out as a single part. Even if it does not (Rare), resin is glued with super glue so add runny superglue in any crack and it pulls itself into the join and one has a single part as if it was never two parts.. As any cracks can have resin filings mixed with superglue (One keeps a little resin dust back from any filing work one does) as a filler and be sanded down after the glue dries which is quite quick.

So while waiting for funds to accumilate to buy a printer, take a look at a resin casting kit. Buy the small kit for experimenting with. It is well worth it as long as one remembers that resin casting is to make duplicate copies.
The only thing to remember is when copying something if making a mold, is that if the item is light weight (I copied resin copies to make a larger mold to have lots cast in one go in the future), so lightweight parts need to be glued down or fixed down or they will float around in the molding compound and they wont be where one needs them to be to make the mold work!

Prototype parts to cast from made to ones own design can be made from modelling clay or wood etc. Many materials can be used as long as they don't go soggy when wet as the molding compound takes a day or two to go from liquid to rubber. Resin itself sets in about 20 minutes but needs an hour or two to harden so the parts dont warp or bend when one first takes them out the mold. I have carefully taken small parts out molds in 20 minutes to I could have the molds free to cast more and left the parts to the side to harden by themselves.

And finally. My brother and his kiddies have had fun using 3D pens which do not cost much. Take a look at YouTube to see what others have made using them. I have not used one myself, but the results are pleasing that I have seen. My brother made my Mum a litrle basket to keep some of her pens in using his 3D pen.

Someone

Postby Someone » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Mountain wrote:Many things can be made with ones hands or with tools. Have you tried resin casting copies of things one has already made (Prototypes of parts are needed in the casting to make more of them). Sylmasta do resin casting kits. There are cheaper alternatives, but Sylmasta casting kits I recommend as I have used one, and the parts I have made by either using the rubber moulding compound or using playdough to cast in (For "One off" parts as the rubber compound does not go too far). I found that the resin itself just keeps on going and going. It was as if the two tins were filling themselves as I was pouring! (Part A ad part B which are 50/50 mixed together and one should not make too much at a time so always have extra molds to fill even if playdough or plasticine is used)... I always had extra resin more then the amount I needed so I had a spare mold handy incase... And yes, one can half cast if one runs out and at a later date cast the rest as it usually still comes out as a single part. Even if it does not (Rare), resin is glued with super glue so add runny superglue in any crack and it pulls itself into the join and one has a single part as if it was never two parts.. As any cracks can have resin filings mixed with superglue (One keeps a little resin dust back from any filing work one does) as a filler and be sanded down after the glue dries which is quite quick.

So while waiting for funds to accumilate to buy a printer, take a look at a resin casting kit. Buy the small kit for experimenting with. It is well worth it as long as one remembers that resin casting is to make duplicate copies.
The only thing to remember is when copying something if making a mold, is that if the item is light weight (I copied resin copies to make a larger mold to have lots cast in one go in the future), so lightweight parts need to be glued down or fixed down or they will float around in the molding compound and they wont be where one needs them to be to make the mold work!

Prototype parts to cast from made to ones own design can be made from modelling clay or wood etc. Many materials can be used as long as they don't go soggy when wet as the molding compound takes a day or two to go from liquid to rubber. Resin itself sets in about 20 minutes but needs an hour or two to harden so the parts dont warp or bend when one first takes them out the mold. I have carefully taken small parts out molds in 20 minutes to I could have the molds free to cast more and left the parts to the side to harden by themselves.

And finally. My brother and his kiddies have had fun using 3D pens which do not cost much. Take a look at YouTube to see what others have made using them. I have not used one myself, but the results are pleasing that I have seen. My brother made my Mum a litrle basket to keep some of her pens in using his 3D pen.

I would like to make custom locos one day .

Thanks for the tip.

For me the 3d printer is mainly for making 3d printed Bajorans.

Is there a way to make custom molds?.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:49 pm

If you can make one prototype (I assume you mean people so if you can make a few prototypes) you can easily duplicate them with resin casting molds and resin. It is making the prototypes so that you can copy is the bit you will ned to do.
I have never used two part molds. I have only used one part molds, and preferably, you will need a two part mold, but there is a technique where you can paint on the mold material onto the figure you want to copy which gives a thin flexible mold so it may need supporting in a card type frame when one pours in the resin. I do not know what molding compound is capable of being painted on, but I have seen it done on Youtube or somewhere else.
Also, one does not have to use resin. Figures and parts can be cast in a few different materials from plaster of paris to metal, though ideally metal needs heat resistent molds or molding sand to make castings. (Remember that a figure or an item can be made in two halves and fixed together later with glue etc if needed, and if using sand, it normally resembles a single piece mold casting method. It may be possible to do a two piece mold in sand but one is relying on the sand to stay put and turned upsidown in the upper part of the two part molds which it can be done as they do it in large industry as far as I am aware. If one sees a metal casting and it has a rough back to it like a nameplate, this will have been cast in a single piece mold. If one sees a casting that has detail on all sides, this has been cast in a two part mold. The most common molding technique you may see out there is for molding plastics. They use metal molds just so they last. Rubber molds can actually be used but they don't last quite so long in heat, but resin itself produces heat as it cures, but not as much as plastics or metals).

I would try to make your prototypes from clay and remember that you can make them in parts and later glue them together. Think of casting arms and legs which can be cast in two parts each part lengthwise if that makes sense? I don't say that it is easy, but it is one way in which it can be done.

I am actually enthusiastic as I write this as I am considering casting again.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”