Mainline Collett goods on Triang chassis

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Ken Shabby

Mainline Collett goods on Triang chassis

Postby Ken Shabby » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:13 am

I've always liked the Collett 2251 class , and bought a weathered Bachmann one a few years back. I didn't keep it long as it struggled to move more than about 10 wagons . I recall reading somewhere that Bachmann had altered the chassis to make it DCC ready, which had made the loco lighter.
I've decided that I would like to own another one , and wondered if the old split chassis Mainline Collett body would fit a Triang Hornby Jinty chassis. I own plenty of locos which use this chassis, so I wouldn't be bothered by the lack of detail bellow the footplate.
Has anyone tried this ? I'm hoping they can be made to fit together with the body not riding too high and with the wheels lining up with the splashers.

Thanks,
Ken

Bigmet

Re: Mainline Collett goods on Triang chassis

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:13 am

It's no go, unless you are prepared to accept some pretty bad compromises. (Probably the reason Triang dropped 0-6-0's after the Midland 3F, because their 'Jinty' mechanism just couldn't be made to fit, and they simply wouldn't invest in something better.)

First problem. Hornby mechanism is 31 + 33mm wheelbase, 2251 is 29 + 33mm, so you cannot perfectly line up the wheels with the splashers.
Second problem. The rear wheel of the 2251 is very much under the cab - it's short for an 0-6-0 - and that means that the Jinty chassis places the back end of the motor in the cab, you have to chop out the boiler backhead, and also 'excavate' inside the top of the firebox to create clearance.
Third problem, wheel diameter undersize: but at least this compromise brings an advantage, it means the wheels will fit under the splashers slightly out of position, so a running model is practical if all these compromises are acceptable.

My best suggestion, the model you want is the Bachmann. I long ago hacked one for friend to improve the weight, and this is both less work than fiddling a Jinty chassis into a Mainline body, and an end result with superior appearance. What you do in brief is dismantle the loco mechanism, rewire compactly between pick ups and motor, clear out the boiler and smokebox interior by sawing down the casting which includes the underboiler section, and cramming the space thus created with solid lead. A little shaped sheet lead on the cab floor and the underside of the cab roof, all painted black to be 'invisible' and it can be got up to near 10 oz. ;and then it pulls well.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:33 am

I had the Mainline version, it had been well run and the plating was starting to wear off. I tried wipers between the wheel backs and the split frames but the pancake didn't have enough extra grunt to overcome them. In fact I burnt out the armature trying. I fitted the replacement chassis that Bachmann put out for the 94xx which had the same wheelbase. Still split chassis but so far no rot, just needed the addition of wipers to overcome the worn plating, sometime around its.tenth birthday.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:33 pm

I think that must be a 57xx/8750 split chassis you used, as there never was a split chassis 94xx from Bachmann. Are they readily available in decent condition? The youngest will be 25 years old, and given the split chassis fall apart tendency even if unused, I wouldn't go there, but YMMV.

Equally the current Bachmann 57xx/8750 and 94xx mechanisms will fit; the wheelbase correct but the wheels undersize. Further possibility, Oxford Rail's Dean Goods. The 2251 was a lightly updated Dean Goods, same wheelbase and nominal wheel diameter. Motors however may be slightly low mounted and thus visible under the boiler in all but the 94xx, which was a smaller wheeled tank version of the 2251.

But there's little point buying current mechanisms unless you luck into a giveaway price: the Bachmann 2251 will typically cost much the same.

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:48 pm

Thanks for the advice, I can see now that the Triang chassis would be more trouble than it's worth .
I've also seen a few built Wills Finecast Collett goods online, which may be worth a look., and I was also wondering if Bachmann did a non dcc ready version of the Collett goods. Presumably more metal in the chassis would of meant better haulage.

Ken

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:26 am

Ken Shabby wrote:...I was also wondering if Bachmann did a non dcc ready version of the Collett goods. Presumably more metal in the chassis would of meant better haulage.

Early productions of this model came out before DCC sockets were fitted in RTR OO. I imagine they can be got s/h on occasion. There's a desirability factor with these, they came with the excellent Buhler five pole motor which Bachmann used on the first of their new 'Blue Riband' range. What I don't have to hand are the catalogue numbers, nor access to the full online listing of the Bachmann range which was maintained until 2012, which would usefully reveal the earliest versions.

Second thoughts, scan a well known retailer's site. They have some! Note, no DCC socket, and it's an early number in the release series.
https://www.hattons.co.uk/739136/bachma ... tockdetail

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”